Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mobile Devices, Tablets, Phones (Android, iOS, Windows Mobile)

Welcome to the Excel for Mobile Devices forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Goodreader file links don't work

Goodreader is a popular file manager for iOS. For most applications you can copy and paste a Goodreader link in and when you need access to the file in Goodreader, you just need to click the external link. Neither Excel or Word seem to be able to cope with this simple Goodreader link even though the basic notes app can manage it. Please fix this as Goodreader is the only decent alternative to the lack of a centralised iOS file system.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for opening of files from local network

Excel for android can not open files from local network natively. You need to use a third party app to find and open your files.

Many organisations have a policy not to allow storage of files on cloud services. Excel for android is a pain to use in these environments where all files must be stored on network drives.

Please fix this for an improved user experience. Thanks, Joachim

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show file name in worksheet, without path name - =FILENAME(). Cell("filename") gives path etc. want only filename

Have alternative to the Cell("filename") so that only the file name shows in the cell, ie without lengthy path name etc.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please Reverse the color orders in the color filling button

Using an Ipadpro, when I want to fill a cell in yellow or green (standard colors) I have to go down on the choice of colors. The same if I want to erase the filling color. The no filling color should be on top, standard colors next, and finally the Themes colors, since they are more personal

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Give it More of a windows look

Give it that famous windows theme rather than a iOS App. Its a Microsoft app not a Apple App

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cell Tab

Enable the tab and enter keys to go to next unlocked cell, currently it will go to next cell even if locked for editing and show a warning.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. E1 Licence : From Excel Mobile App moving to Excel Online when editing a document

With a E1 subscription, we can only view document on mobile app Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
    It will be efficient for end users to switch from Excel App to Excel Online when they want to edit the document > and not to have the error message advising to subscribe E3 !

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please fix: Virtual keyboard covers cells that is edited

If you use the Freeze Panes function to freeze the first 10 rows (on an iPad Mini screen) and tap to edit a cell in one of the rows below the frozen rows, the virtual keyboard comes up, but it will cover the cell that you wanted to edit. Worse, there is no way to scroll up or down, because the only cells that are visible are frozen! So the only way is to unfreeze the worksheet before editing and then freeze again. Please fix this!

One option would be that the entire worksheet moves up to show the cell…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. handoff

You should add handoff support for both word, excel, powerpoint and outlook on mac and iOS.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Include Excel sheet feature in OneNote

1.Please include excel in OneNote,where we can edit and save excel sheet.
    2.Add offline mode checkbox and online sync automatic option

It should be OneOffice instead of OneNote and also improve the performance.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Formula auditing

When I double-tap on a cell with a formula, Excel helpfully assigns different colors to the elements of the formula, and highlights the cells that are linked to the formula with the same colors. But at the same time, it also brings up the virtual keyboard obscuring half the screen, as it assumes that I want to edit the formula. In many cases, I just want to quickly audit formulas without editing them with the keyboard. Can you think of a way that allows users to audit formulas without covering the screen?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enlarge Excel worksheet tabs. The tabs are too small to scroll through with a touch screen. Also, leave more room between menu items.

Enlarge Excel worksheet tabs. The tabs should be taller to allow scrolling through with a touch screen. Also, leave more room between menu items. Remember adult fingers need enough space to work. Larger font sizes and widening the screen are inefficient options.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Have excel close and save any open worksheets before an update.

On the last 2 updates to my iPhone, the ap called up the upgrade when I opened a worksheet. This worksheet had years of daily medical info in it. When the update came through the open spreadsheet was totally wiped clean. very bad news for me. It didn't used to do that. The update should close and save all open spreadsheets before updating.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. When the formula bar isn't tall enough to display everything, color-code it!

Enter this to see what I mean:
    =TODAY()=4
    but put a likebreak before the =4, and have the formula bar one row tall so all you SEE is =TODAY().
    The cell shows FALSE. What you're looking at makes no sense! But if the Formula bar were colored, you'd know there's more to see.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow us to orient sheets on the right.

Orient sheets on the side and have a window where you can see all sheets at the same time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Vishy,

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s a little vague right now – can you elaborate on what you had in mind? Also, can you tell me if this is something you’re wanting for a phone, slate, or PC sized screen (or maybe all 3)?

Thanks,
    John [MS XL]

20. Colors or hatching not displaying correctly on Excel app for Android phone or from Teams app

When using excel app for computer, all colors and hatchings are displayed correctly.

Nevertheless, when I open the same spreadsheet from inside Teams for mobile phone, or even from inside Excel app for Android, all cells containing hatches are displayed with one single color (in this case red), no matter if it had other colors in the app. I did not test opening with an iPhone or Windows Phone. It should work perfectly with the Excel app on every operating system.

When I open the same table from inside the Teams app, it does show the colors correctly but it…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base