Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mobile Devices

Improve/Update microphone dictation mode for iPad with iOS12.

I’ve been using the microphone for dictation (data entry) on the app for several months. The app closes on iPad with iOS 12 (I just updated my device) while trying to still use it. Reinstalling the app nor resetting the iPad doesn’t work.

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have now moved my operations to the android tablet so that I no longer have these issues since it appears that Apple has no desire to remedy this. If I cannot rely on Apple to correct issues of this nature or even to contact me to let me know that they are working on it then it is likely that I will not return to the iPad for my operations.

• Carv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. Clicking microphone closes the app. I have no use for Excel if I am unable to use dictation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just updated iOS 12.1, and despite a message that opens in Excel that suggests this should solve the dictation problem, there’s no improvement that I can see. Clicking on the microphone Still closes out the app.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, same issue with dictation on Excel mobile. The dictation works on all the other apps on the phone, texting etc. I use Excel all through my day, and had been using dictation on Excel mobile for quite a while; it’s a real timesaver. Hope that you can get it updated soon and restore the dictation function. Thanks!

• Darwilliamsfan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to thank Stephen for the tip about sending feedback - I would never have thought of looking there. One of the chat guys did tell me to try in-app support but he was telling me to go through the normal help, and that just frustrated me because if you put in something like “report a problem” it brings up topics about Excel reports so it’s really hard to find the actual reporting area

The chat process was fairly illuminating. the second guy told me that I wasn’t actually in the right area because I had been directed to desktop support (even though my search term was something like “excel crashing on iPad”) However, of the three reps I talked to he was by far the most helpful – it even sounded like he might try to forward the problem to the developers, as well as a couple of other things I mentioned like the fact that in the Microsoft chat window if you press the return key it sends the message instead of starting a new paragraph.

I’m just frustrated with how difficult it is to get help or report problems – while I am happy to have finally found this site, I didn’t get here by going through the help, I finally googled it and found something on a blog.

I have had the same experience with the support process as Darwilliamsfan. The overall support for Office 365 does not have the capability to deal with the mobile apps. It seems to be their "go to" answer to try to palm it off on Apple instead of actually taking the note and sending it to the Microsoft development team. Very disappointing!

When you open the excel app then touch the settings icon on the left side, a dialog box comes up which will provide an option to send feedback. Interestingly enough, you can use the talk to text microphone to enter your feedback. Evidence that this is specific to the app and to the spreadsheet data entry in my case.

The three highlights of the support experience:
        1. Painstakingly navigating through their product support options and finally clicking a chat link only to go to a 404 page
        2. Being disconnected from the chat while I was still typing my response because I took longer than a couple of minutes to do so
        3. Being told by the support rep that I should report this to Apple because it’s an Apple problem due to the iOS upgrade. (I did actually talk to Apple, and they were as helpful as they could be, but it still obviously an app problem because other apps work)

I’m having the same problem, although I would recommend that whoever posted this originally change the description to “fix broken microphone dictation” because it doesn’t work at all. Also, does anybody have a good link for submitting feedback about the Microsoft support process itself? I have spent a couple of hours trying to report this issue and have been very disappointed in how difficult it is.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same problem exists on the mobile version of Google sheets. However, oddly enough, microphone dictation into cells works on Numbers, the apple spreadsheet app Included with the iphone. Right now I am converting back and forth.

I have the same issue and it is very distressing. It is only in the excel spreadsheet when you attempt to enter data into a cell. The keyboard microphone works fine in Word and in sending messages from the excel help dialog.
        This is a very important feature of the excel mobile app and really needs to be fixed.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here! This loss of microphone functionality totally abrogates the reason I have excel on my mobile in the first place! Now I have to decide whether to wipe my phone clean to get the functionality back by downgrading the IOS, or wait to see whether excel will fix this in an upgrade. I suppose getting a response from anyone as to whether they plan to address this is too much to hope for?

Feedback and Knowledge Base