Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mobile Devices

Protect/UnProtect Cells/Work Book with Android App

Not being able to Protect/Unprotect stuff with the android app is a big hindrance. If I am not in the office and I need to make a quick update to an excel sheet I am unable to since I cant unprotect the sheet. That means I have to wait until I get back to the office to do anything and sometimes it is a time sensitive issue that needs to be resolved asap. Implementing this into the android app would be a great addition and help streamline the experience.

13 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue, not being able to lock formulas. Kind of lame. Just spend two hours on a new calculating app where 95% of the cells need to be protected. I was hoping to distribute it to my field reps but. Without protection for the formulas I see no way this can be released. One mis typed cell and it would be junk. Hummmmm.

• YSINO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very old issue. IT IS TIME THEY RESOLVE IT AT ONCE. WE PAY FOR THE BLODY SOFTWARE, WE DEMAND OFF MICROSOFT TO ADD THE OPTION TO PROTECT THE CELLS ALREADY.

• MuttGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the question of protect cells in Android: If you start out creating your excel sheet on a computer, I found that if I first save a sheet I've created with protected cells as .ods on my computer; then, reopen the .ods version and save-as .xlsx, the protected cells are maintained when I open the sheet in excel for Android.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use an excel application on an android device where data entry is made with multiple users. To avoid deleting formulae, I need to protect some of the cells. The process works on my computer where I developed the spreadsheet, but when I send it to the tablet, no cells are protected, so errors occur and formulae are at risk. How do I protect cells using excel on my android device?

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is broader than originally noted. I have a spreadsheet I ONLY use with the Android app and I want to prevent myself from inadvertently clearing or deleting my formulae. And also, it would be easy, then, to select the entire spreadsheet and clear it, to get rid of my temporary data.

Feedback and Knowledge Base