Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mobile Devices

Excel with macro (and VBA) on Tablet and Mobile

we need (I'm not alone!!) as soon possible the possibility to use Excel with macro (and VBA) on Tablet and Mobile

170 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Android on a 10" screen.

My Excel workbook using VBA on a PC creates files for use with a browser. So the feature is not just a matter on enhancing functions.

As I am away from my PC for weeks at a time I need the ability to run VBA (or whatever) in a workbook on both PC and Android tablet.

I vote in support of the request.

• Scalle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've made a template filled with macro's, working just fine on a tablet (Windows)... It works as wanted, just lacks some speed when the connection with the server has to be made...
        Then again the tablet isn't the best available (3go)... But yes, it would make everything lot's better if the same template could work with Android.

As already stated in other post I totally agree. It is senseless say that we have to pass on Azure, which was the answer that I got. People have too many excel files with macros already done, at it makes too much sense to develop VBA also for android and in general mobile solutions. Pleaseeeeeeee!!!!

Having access to MS Onedrive is good, and it will jump to a great level of service if VBA will be added to Ipad, and etc.

As an engineer, I have custom equations that I want to model so hence having VBA support is necessary or the spreadsheets get very messy. Also, it interrupts the workflow, when you need to check or rerun a value on the go on your device you cannot unless you are on the desktop version. Hence it's really essential.

• Alex rocketwaveuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes i agree and vba that does not call out of excell should not cause any secutity concerns,
        my code does things like resets to cells after calculations to retry. and generate some cells with random numbers ie 1 to 30 into cells with no duplicated numbers.
        and handy buttons to either work in edit mode or run mode with all menus ect hidden .
        just a few examples. im self taught so just write code when i need it..

• Rob Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Alex. I use VBA in Excel for way–way more than just user defined functions. That would not do it. I could get by with the subset of VBA that MS has created with its "Sandbox" limitations in Office 365, 2016, and 2019. And since they have already worked out these VBA limitations to be within the App Guidelines against executing code outside the container for OS, it seems like the next step would be the easier portion to port that over to iOS. They have already engineered the hard part. I don't think we're asking that much of them. It's just not a priority for them.

lets face it, we use macros and vba because microsoft excel does not incorporate the functions we want to use, so why does microsoft not add the functions to excel and most users would not require vba.
        anyone with good ideas for adding a function give your ideas and lets all tell microsoft what we require.

This is a genuine constraint on productivity. I have not yet seen a coherent explanation for why it is not possible.

no idea why Microsoft do not wish to add the VBA interpreter on Excel mobile,
        as result probably, some other company (google ? .. ?) will offer an alternative product including a similar feature,
        and we will move to a different solution...

i would be very happy to have a version of excel vba mobile that does not allow external write commands .. read in data would be good enough to update any external data being used .. that would stop any worries about security breaches.

yes most of us want to be able to use the code in excel mobile .. not write the code on the phone .. just simply the excel sheets running in computer excel to work on our mobiles when we use them mobile..

• Dave Slomer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone know of any programming language for cellphones? A compiler for said language? How about am Integrated Development Environment? If "No" to all, that's probably why no VBA for Excel is coming anytime soon. VBA is merely a sort of scripting language, interpreted but not compiled, you say? However, go here: https://www.quora.com/Can-I-do-programming-on-my-phone

Scroll down to the longest answer, which is "YES" more or less. But keep reading. It's just not practical.

Any even-semi-serious programming (e.g., in VBA) simply requires a computer.

Microsoft's nor going to go into VBA for phones without going full-bore, which is impractical.

Main problem for the would-be Android-VBA coder is lack of big enough screen and real keyboard.

May be this function is very hard to code. Maybe we need to contact with IOS , Android device supplier. They may help us.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For business purposes we really need Macro possibilities on our mobile devises. Please proceed developing this urgently. Many thanks!

@MICROSOFT what are you waiting for to allow Macro and VBA on Mobile???? its really URGENT!!!

@MICROSOFT what are you waiting to allow Macro and VBA on Mobile!!!! its really URGENT

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base