Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mobile Devices

Have offline access to selected files from cloud services

An option to have selected files from cloud services within the app (OneDrive and Dropbox hopefully). When a file is marked to be available offline, it should be downloaded, auto-synced as changes occur for it, and be available when I do not have an Internet connection. Also it should not download every time I open it. When I work on it without Internet connection, it should save changes waiting for a next connection to sync changes to the cloud.

This user experience is very vital and essential.

39 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mostafa shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a OneDrive user, I can save gigabytes of documents for offline viewing in the OneDrive app, but when I am offline and want to edit a Word document saved offline in OneDrive, Word does not try to open it from OneDrive, but instead tries to download it from the cloud, which is obviously not possible.

The work-around is to open the Word document from OneDrive as a copy into Word and save it on the iPad locally; when I go back online, I can move it back to the cloud (with a different name/version number to avoid naming conflicts).

Ideally, Word could open any file directly from OneDrive offline and save it locally and automatically syncs it back to the OneDrive when I go back online.

• Dénes Bodó commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there,

I am migrating from Google Apps to Office 365 Home and I found that I cannot edit Office documents that are made offline in OneDrive when I have no internet access on Android. Google knows it for free and I think it is a very convenient feature. Can you please give me a quick answer about are you currently working on this feature or is it on your backlog or there is no chance to have this feature?

Thanks,
        Denes

This is one of the issues that is holding me from using the iPad offline everywhere. You can download files marked as offline from cloud services, such as Box, but if you are offline, you need to save inside the Office app and then manually upload to the cloud when you are online. It woudl be great if Office could do this automatically.

I save quite a lot of spreadsheet files on my iPad, rather than Onedrive, so I can have access to them on my iPad when WIFI is not available.

I support this idea, and would like to extend it to Box. It would make it much easier to move in and out of wifi environments and not having to worry about losing files.

Feedback and Knowledge Base