Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mobile Devices

Add support for custom templates in Office Mobile apps, specifically Excel and Word.

It would be most useful to be able to create new documents from custom templates in Excel and Word on mobile devices.

76 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Richard Gawith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

= 2016-12-05 =

Hi all,

We’ve begun work on the ability to open (and create new files from) Templates on Excel for Android.

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No improvements yet? I suppose I'll have to figure out a way to do this with Google's services

• Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 years almost and still not fixed. Microsoft is useless! I guess I'm going to recreate everything in google sheets.

It's 2018 and I still cannot open excel templates! For some reason android version of excel does not support .xltx files. What's taking so long?
    Can you please add support for your own template format?

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel should deal with the following situations regarding templates correctly:

a) The ability to save (and remove) user created template files for use

b) The ability to properly behave when dealing with a template file created by a desktop version.

In its current state, when opening a template file created on a desktop version, Excel for iOS treats it as a normally editable file and saves any changes made directly into the file, even if the user selected the READ ONLY option when originally creating the file. This happens no matter if you use a syncing service to gain access to the file (Box.com, Dropbox.com, etc...), or if you open the file that was directly saved onto the iPad itself. [Coincidentally, if the file was accessed via OneDrive, you get an error message that the file contains features that it can't deal with, and refuses to open the file - Go figure]

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long will this take? I have a paid subscription for office 365; but still can't create and save templates

Fantastic news I hope it arrives soon, along with offline OneDrive folders we've been asking for, for years :P

I cant believe that office mobile on lumia/continuum can't use templates

I dont understand why features which are so common and so important to people, would be left out of a device which should be letting us ditch a full laptop allot more often; as continuum promised

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dan,
    Is this the same as being able to create your own templates and then be able to open them? Your words are a little vague with reference to the heading

• Lindsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am able to create and view custom templates on the desktop version but not on my iPhone. It would be nice to have as I want to use this form in the field for my employees to work on and submit data in a quick fashion.

Feedback and Knowledge Base