Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mobile Devices, Tablets, Phones (Android, iOS, Windows Mobile)

Welcome to the Excel for Mobile Devices forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Data Analysis Toolpack and Solver Needed, STAT!

Excel for PC and Mac, as well as the Surface Pro 3 and 4, have the Data Analysis Toolpack and Solver. We need these added to the iOS versions as well, please.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give it More of a windows look

Give it that famous windows theme rather than a iOS App. Its a Microsoft app not a Apple App

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improved Support For XLSM files

When I open an XLSM file in Excel for iOS and save it, it disables my macros and removes my Quick Access Toolbar icons in the file in Windows. It would be great if it saves the state of the macros and the icons in the QA Toolbar, so when I open it again in Windows, i don't have to re-enable macros and re-add all the QA Toolbar icons I added for this particular file.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Expand Drop-down Lists to Show Full Text on iPad App.

Drop-down lists on iPad version of Excel are shown in a fixed size area. If text for each selection is larger than that area, string is cut off with three dots in the end. It would be better to have a drop-down with flexible size so that all text can be seen for each element in list.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add support for opening of files from local network

Excel for android can not open files from local network natively. You need to use a third party app to find and open your files.

Many organisations have a policy not to allow storage of files on cloud services. Excel for android is a pain to use in these environments where all files must be stored on network drives.

Please fix this for an improved user experience. Thanks, Joachim

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Header and Footer functionality

Currently Headers and footers cannot be applied to excel work books. This is a feature my client would like to have available on the mobile application.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cell Tab

Enable the tab and enter keys to go to next unlocked cell, currently it will go to next cell even if locked for editing and show a warning.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Need to add a way to add fonts.

Add a way to add fonts.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Take picture and insert/link into sheet on the fly

I was once asked to make/find the following app: allow a person to input data and have calculated results appear instantly AND be able to easily take pictures and link them to the data on the fly. I never made/found such an app. Fortunately, Excel for the iPhone satisfies the first condition.

The person using the app is checking equipment, so they enter data and take a picture and move on to the next equipment. It is impractical to import all of the pictures afterwards, since they all have similar default names, so you have to check each picture for…

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll definitely consider this in our next round of planning. In the mean time, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. Please fix: Virtual keyboard covers cells that is edited

If you use the Freeze Panes function to freeze the first 10 rows (on an iPad Mini screen) and tap to edit a cell in one of the rows below the frozen rows, the virtual keyboard comes up, but it will cover the cell that you wanted to edit. Worse, there is no way to scroll up or down, because the only cells that are visible are frozen! So the only way is to unfreeze the worksheet before editing and then freeze again. Please fix this!

One option would be that the entire worksheet moves up to show the cell…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Show file name in worksheet, without path name - =FILENAME(). Cell("filename") gives path etc. want only filename

Have alternative to the Cell("filename") so that only the file name shows in the cell, ie without lengthy path name etc.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enlarge Excel worksheet tabs. The tabs are too small to scroll through with a touch screen. Also, leave more room between menu items.

Enlarge Excel worksheet tabs. The tabs should be taller to allow scrolling through with a touch screen. Also, leave more room between menu items. Remember adult fingers need enough space to work. Larger font sizes and widening the screen are inefficient options.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Have offline access to selected files from cloud services

An option to have selected files from cloud services within the app (OneDrive and Dropbox hopefully). When a file is marked to be available offline, it should be downloaded, auto-synced as changes occur for it, and be available when I do not have an Internet connection. Also it should not download every time I open it. When I work on it without Internet connection, it should save changes waiting for a next connection to sync changes to the cloud.

This user experience is very vital and essential.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow you to change your cursor direction

Just like in the full version of Excel

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Formula auditing

When I double-tap on a cell with a formula, Excel helpfully assigns different colors to the elements of the formula, and highlights the cells that are linked to the formula with the same colors. But at the same time, it also brings up the virtual keyboard obscuring half the screen, as it assumes that I want to edit the formula. In many cases, I just want to quickly audit formulas without editing them with the keyboard. Can you think of a way that allows users to audit formulas without covering the screen?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Edit source data for charts

It would be nice if there is an easier way to add column and row headers to a chart. Currently there is no choice, unless you organize your data such that the intended headers are immediately adjacent to the data

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the great feedback. We’ll definitely consider this in the next round of features for the iPad/iPhone. Please continue to vote on this feature idea which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

1/26/17
    This feature request is still on our backlog but there is nothing we can commit to at this time.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

20. Add support for custom templates in Office Mobile apps, specifically Excel and Word.

It would be most useful to be able to create new documents from custom templates in Excel and Word on mobile devices.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded

= 2016-12-05 =

Hi all,

We’ve begun work on the ability to open (and create new files from) Templates on Excel for Android.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base