How can we improve Excel for iPad & iPhone (iOS)?

Virtual trackpad does not work well

When you in a text box in Excel with the on-screen keyboard and iOS 9+, you should be able to use the virtual trackpad to move the cursor around the text box (pressing and holding the keyboard with two fingers). This works well in all iOS first-party apps and MS Word.

However in Excel there are three problems:
- once you double tap a text box to edit the text box and press the keyboard with two fingers, the cursor jumps to another place. This should not happen.
- you cannot move the cursor vertically, the cursor stays on the same line, even if you try to move the cursor down with the trackpad
- when I move the cursor around, the cursor discretely jumps from character to character in a jerky way, and the cursor cannot be moved to places where there is no text. Compare this to Word. There a "shadow" cursor can be moved smoothly and freely anywhere, while an actual cursor follows the shadow cursor, but sticks to the characters. This way there is a one-on-one relationship between trackpad movements and the shadow cursor (comparable to how the mouse and mouse cursor works on a desktop).

The same problem exists for the fomula editor.

Note that for simple text fields in Excel these two cursors are present: try the text search and file name fields.

Excel version 1.29. I also reported this on the Microsoft Community: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_imobile/excel-ipad-virtual-trackpad-not-working-as/ca52e10f-f8ed-4671-aa14-83a86a1e300b?rtAction=1485326754372

The same problem occurs in PowerPoint.

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)