Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mobile Devices

Excel iOS: auto-saves files despite having switched off auto-save

Please see https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/7768863c-337c-49a3-b207-1a9635510bad for a serious bug first reported by the OP over 4 months ago.

If auto-save is switched off (which I think it should be by default, but that's another matter) and I discard changes when exiting a file, the file timestamp still changes. This then spreads to other devices seeing the file on OneDrive. So if I just want to check something in a file from several years ago it suddenly looks like I've recently edited the file! This bug of course is not present in Windows.

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Schofield shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks excel. Wonderful software. I just lost 3 months of data because your autosave feature decided to replace one of my excel spreadsheets with an older version that was opened accident on my iPhone. It's too bad you can't be sued for wasting people's time. If I could... I would never use your software, but unfortunately I can't.

Microsoft is becoming more and more ****** software that is available. Everything they make is full of bugs and glitches, and they charge an expensive price to buy their ****** products.

Agree. The many users I share a Dropbox folder with will be getting sick of me by now. It looks like I make changes to their files- even really old or important files that I'm not responsible for. We can't use the file date to manage our files at this rate.

I have this issue, but even worse: When I open Excel on my iPhone 6s it opens an old version of the file and overwrites the current version. It also turns auto-save back on every time I turn it off.

I agree. Just to clarify, it happens if you pick up an Excel from a cloud service using the iOS cloud document picker. The bug has not always been there and the Excel version of perhaps a year back does not have this auto-save bug. If you access an Excel file through the native cloud connection in Excel, the bug does not happen.

Feedback and Knowledge Base