Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Vote for an existing idea (132)
  • or
  1. Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts

In this answer to "Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts" https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac?query=Bring%20back%20custom%20keyboard%20shortcuts the MS team states I can find the customization option under Tools > Customize Keyboard and links to this article to show how: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-custom-keyboard-shortcut-for-office-for-mac-6bbeb90e-96d9-4e03-b199-fc026ebdc321?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

This is NOT the case. There is no option for Customize Keyboard in the Tools menu in Excel 2016 for MAC. You guys blew it when you removed the ability of a user to create a custom key combo to complete a command.

For example I always used the F1 key to delete…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back keyboard shortcut customization

Believe it or not, what the vast majority of Mac users of Office are looking for is not compatibility with Windows versions of the software, though keeping the features up to date is nice. After having been able to customize keyboard shortcuts for (how many?) years, we are told that Mother Microsoft thinks its better for us to use Windows Control shortcuts that don't do the job we're used to being able to do. Why would you want to make the software _less_ useful?

I believe this represents a small software development savings relative to the number of custom

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring back 30 years of Keyboard Shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts remained fairly standard from Excel's earliest days (I started using it with version 2.2a, don't know if they go back further) until Excel 2001 when somethings like, for example command-b was moved to bold text instead of clear text, but those changes were remapped onto the control key for those of us that had been using them for a long time.

Now they have mapped BOTH to bold, and removed the keyboard shortcut for clear altogether. Likewise fill down no longer has a keyboard shortcut.

I was excited to hear that keyboard customization was returning, but neither…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The clear text (clear contents) command can be assigned to a key combination. Just go to Tools > Customize Keyboard, click on the Home Tab category, and select the “Contents” command.

For Fill Down, it is assigned to CMD+D and CTRL+D (same as Excel 2011). You can also assign a custom key combination by choosing the “Down” command in the Customize Keyboard dialog in the Home Tab category.

4. Keyboard Shortcut for Find and Replace

Can there be a keyboard shortcut for the Replace command? There's only one for Find.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. give us a keyboard shortcut for copy/paste formatting (please!)

I LOVE the paintbrush button (copy/paste formatting) but I desperately need a keyboard shortcut for it!

(Either a pre-set shortcut, or the ability to create my own keyboard shortcuts ...)

Thanks in advance :)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Zoom In Zoom Out keyboard shortcut

Zoom In/Out keyboard shortcut of: CMD +, CMD -, CMD 0 (zoom in, zoom out, reset zoom) for all Office apps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. return the keyboard shortcut for paste values

there was a keyboard shortcut for paste value in Excel for mac 2011, its missing in Excel 2016

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Simplify Keyboard Shortcut Customization

Tools > Customize Keyboard is a good start. Thank you for doing this.

A layout by tab is useless to users that don't think of excel as a collection of tabs. As excited as I was to see this feature arrive, I simply couldn't find any of the items I needed to change.

How about adding the ability to also find commands by menu bar title? This is easy to understand, and if the order matches the order of the items in the menu bar should be easy to find what we are looking for.

Finally, it doesn't appear…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Caps-Lock interferes with custom shortcuts

I like to use paste-values a lot, so I add Command-option-v as a keyboard shortcut. However, it does not work when Caps-Lock is active. I've tried adding Command-option-shiht-v as a shortcut also, and adding the shortcut when Caps-lock is on, but it just does not work when Caps-lock is engaged.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Autosum Keyboard Shortcut Bug

Can you please fix the autosum keyboard shortcut to behave like that of Excel 2011. It seems like the behavior is broken in Excel 2016. it sum a row at the bottom of a column way to fast and doesn't let you see the selection and press enter to except it. Also, when summing from the side it does a fast 1 cell sum but you need to hold down the key combination to get the selection cursor in order to make a larger column selection. Please fix. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please return the customized keyboard!!!

Customized Keyboard option is really helpful to make the app work for you efficiently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring back REAL keyboard customization!

It is completely not true, that keyboard customization through OS X keyboard preferences really works. Tell me how to make a shortcut to fill cell with color: for instance CTRL+2? Or how to paste values (without any mid-steps)? Or even do something more advanced than copy/paste with my own combination of inputs.

The fact is that office 2016 for mac lacks this feature and this "workaround" is NOT a replacement. Please bring back the option that was SO USEFUL!

287 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SImple way to toggle OSX Excel keyboard shortcuts so that they mimic those in Excel Windows

Add a simple Excel option toggle that allows OSX users to mimic keyboard shortcuts from Window (F2 = edit, Ctrl+z = undo etc etc).

Many users tend to user windows Excel in a corporate environment and find it frustrating that their hard learned shortcuts don't work on OSX. Needs to be a simple way to turn on and off (c.f. the Lotus 123 navigation compatibility switch in advanced settings on Windows Excel)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I have Excel 365 for Mac. I want to have a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT for FIND & REPlACE! I sorely miss the one I used on Excel 2011.

I have Excel 365 for Mac. I want to have a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT for FIND & REPLACE! I sorely miss the one I used on Excel 2011.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bring back keyboard shortcut for align right!

Am I missing something or are we no longer able to align right a group of cells using command+R? Looking at the list of shortcuts provided by Microsoft, "align right" is not there. This is very basic excel functionality. How could it have been removed??

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add ribbon buttons and keyboard shortcuts for superscript and subsript

Why is it so much harder to make text superscript or subscript in Excel, both for mac and windows?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Better shortcut for editing a cells text/formula than "cntr" + "u"

This is such a cludge, how about something very easy to remember and hit on the keyboard like "cmd" +"enter" or "cntr" + "return". I use this 5 times a minute and sick to death of "cntr" + "u" which also deprives me of a macro shortcut for unhide.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. F11 shortcut for charts

Cannot understand why this shortcut is not included.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Include the shortcuts for Fill commands

Include the Windows shortcuts for Fill commands

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bring back the "option-click" shortcut to insert column(s), row(s), or cell(s).

Please reinstate the option+click shortcut or at least a way to customize for it. It makes my work much easier and is the only reason I've yet to upgrade. Thanks a lot!

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base