Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Vote for an existing idea (130)
  • or
  1. Lose all the circa 1980s modal dialogue box stuff

Interesting you don't have a Category for "Usability"!

If i want to change background colours for a group of cells I have to click 3 times all at different places on the screen to bring up the macOS colour picker, the only place I can store my own custom colours, just to do it. Where as in Numbers I can just click the floating colour palate if I have the Cells sidebar up (I prefered Numbers and all the iWork apps when almost everything was floating palettes than side bars which although not modal means more clicking)

This is just…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove "Add Header" or "Add Footer" from Page View

Remove the grayed "Add Header" and "Add Footer" from being visible in Page View (example below). It wasn't visible in Excel 2011 but is visible by default on 2016. Or, maybe it's only visible when grids are visible? I create many forms with Excel and often leave the view for users to tab through the form in page view and magnified at a view that is best. Now all our customers submitting these forms have a big "Add Header" at the top of our nicely designed forms. Example attached.

This was my initial post in the community forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/remove-add-header-or-add-footer-from-page-view/b7529e13-2994-43e2-8bf9-979e4ac4080a

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 365 does not appear to save AutoRecover or AutoSave files anywhere on my Mac or in the cloud..

I use a MacBook Pro and Have Office 365. Excel and Powerpoint crash fairly often and tech support found that AutoRecover and AutoSavedo not save anything anywhere. It seems to be because I don't use OneCloud for my cloud storage. I use iCloud for My Documents folder. The fact that your apps are so unstable and you don't do the right thing by helping users save their data, seems to be a short-sighted tactic to sell OneDrive. In reality you are forcing me to discontinue Office 365 and switch to Apple or Google's office apps. Very poor product management of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Introduce "Offline Mode" to Reduce Latency and Improve Performance

Please create an "Offline Mode" feature for Office 365 to reduce overhead and improve performance when network connections are not required for one's basic Office app use.

While using Excel (Office 365 for Mac) there is too much latency in the most simple tasks. Additionally, the application(s) attempt to make multiple network connections to various sites for subscription, sharepoint, and other apps connectivity. All of these actions reduce performance and create an overhead which impacts the users' experience (one only needs to google the feedback to date on the latest Office for Mac issues). Additionally, there are times when traveling…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This suggestion is from quite a while ago and we’ve had lots of updates since then. Please comment whether this is still an issue or let us know that it’s gotten better. We’ll keep this open and monitor for votes and comments.

Steve K [MS Excel]

5. Bring back Relative References in Macro Recording

In Mac XL 2011 You had ability to create Macros that made use of Relative References in a addition to absolute references. In the Excel Mac 2016 Answers forum this is vitally important.

Any possibility of returning this to Excel Mac 2016

[10/22/2015 - Dan [MS]: Added image to show where this feature used to exist in older versions of Mac XL]

334 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

160 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable functions across Excel for PC and Mac

1. Ribbon for Excel
    2. Sunburst charts and Tree graphs - every graphic that can be done using PC but not Excel for Mac
    3. Interpolation
    4. Function keys
    5. Thousands more examples
    6. If Microsoft intends to keep Office for Mac and Excel for Mac a vastly inferior product than Office/Excel for PC, the company should own that and adjust both pricing and expectations.
    7. Also, produce a usable document which clearly documents all omitted features so users don't waste time learning to use a new feature only to discover separately Microsoft's profit-driven decision to ignore the customer…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. DATE function start date 1/1/1900

The date 1/1/1900 is serial # 1 in Excel as though that was the first day in time. Hence, in dealing with immigration from the 1800s - 1900s (for example, the idiot known as Donald Trump and his Nazi/Communist kin, Microsoft Excel cannot delineate between 1911 and 1811. This goes well beyond the lack of apparent disinterest in providing similar levels of customer service, or product or brand experience. This is about charging the same price for a vastly inferior product. More often than not, functions beyond simple 10-key and numerical operators are discovered to be 'undoable on a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable VBA Support for creating and editing UserForms (not the Data Form)

In previous versions of Mac Excel you could create a Form/Dialog using VBA (called a VBA UserForm). In Mac Excel 2016, you can no longer do this. Please bring that functionality back. Note that this is different than the "Form" option on the Data menu. There's a separate suggestion on UserVoice for that.

(March-2018: MS updated the Title and Description to avoid confusion with the Data Form request)

727 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

186 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and for the support of this feature. If you meant to vote for the Data Form, which is different than VBA UserForms, please change your vote to that suggestion instead. From reading the comments on this one, it seems that some clarification was needed.

I updated the title and description for this one and we’ll continue to monitor for comments and votes.

Here’s the link to the Data Form suggestion – https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/17930662-restore-data-form-functionality

Steve K [MS Excel]

9. Improve compatibility with files from Office Mac 2011

I recently got scared by the warnings about continuing to use Office for Mac 2011 and signed up for a trial subscription to Office 365. My wife uses Excel for billing in her business and has about 200 .XLSX files for which print formatting is important. I've found that opening the files with Mac Excel 16.18 results in two types of problem.

The files are opened by default in "normal" view mode, showing the content cells (without the header and footer containing customer information unique to each file). If I attempt to view the header via "view->header & footer",…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring back a fully functional VBE (Visual Basic Editor for VBA)

Please bring back the full editor capability of VBE to Mac Excel 2016, like we had in Mac Excel 2011. As it is, the "slimmed down" editing experience of VBA is more like a notepad experience than anything - making it basically impossible to
    * edit VBA from scratch,
    * get syntax highlighting
    * see a watch window
    * etc.

(Note: this title and description updated by Dan [MS] on 10/19/2015)

855 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

261 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – The Visual Basic Editor was greatly improved in an update several months ago. If you don’t have the latest version of Excel for Mac, please go to Help > Check for Updates and update to the latest version to check it out. Thanks for all your comments and support for this feature.

If you notice issues as you are using the latest VBE, please let us know by clicking the smiley-face feedback button near the top-right of the Excel window.

Steve K [MS Excel]

1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base