Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ignore this error

When I set formatting in a cell for "text" and paste a number, stop giving an error that the number is formatted as text. I know. You know why?

See if you can follow:
    I set the formatting manually. I already know it's a number being displayed as text. If I set something manually, stop telling me it's set that way. Especially if there are already important contextual clues (like the number sticking to the right side of the cell or not truncating or adopting date format, etc) showing that it's formatted as text.

I hate having to manually declare…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Resume for Office Applications

Intro: For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011), Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Problem: Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

Suggestion: I suggest Microsoft implements this functionality…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save

I updated to 15.16 this morning, and now I can't work any more; Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save. Me too, I'm back to excel 2011, so frustrating.......

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Cell gradient compatibility with windows office

Better compatibility and be able to apply gradient fill on cells.
    When a document with conditional formatting applying gradients on cell is done in windows an then opened on mac the same breaks and file lags everywhere until remove all the gradients.
    This shouldnt happen....

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SImple way to toggle OSX Excel keyboard shortcuts so that they mimic those in Excel Windows

Add a simple Excel option toggle that allows OSX users to mimic keyboard shortcuts from Window (F2 = edit, Ctrl+z = undo etc etc).

Many users tend to user windows Excel in a corporate environment and find it frustrating that their hard learned shortcuts don't work on OSX. Needs to be a simple way to turn on and off (c.f. the Lotus 123 navigation compatibility switch in advanced settings on Windows Excel)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Grand totals at top of pivot table columns

Scrolling to the bottom of a huge pivot can be prohibitive. Give us the option to show grand totals for columns as the zeroth row !!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!!

Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!! Ctrl Y works sometimes, then it doesn't - drives me nuts.....

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Signature line needed in Excel 2016 for MAC

I have several customers that would like to see the Signature line functionality that is available in the Windows version, also become available in the MAC version. This is needed for a variety of reasons, but the number 1 reason I hear, is so they can have employees 'sign off' on their timesheets, without having to print them or export to PDF. They have also called it 'Inking', where you can sign off with your fingertip.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pivot table sort totals column

Include capability to sort pivot tables by Totals columns/rows. This has been in the Windows version since 2010 at least. Why not include this basic feature in the Mac version?

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. allow option for header on the first page only

allow option for header on the first page only when using headers and footers

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Keep format the same when pasting an Excel graph into Word

When I paste an Excel graph into a Word file (just copy-paste), the color of some of the lines and markers change. I would like to keep the format the same.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Multiple selection list boxes in 2016 (Mac) or even latest Win version

Can we finally have multiple selection list boxes (easily) via data validation (if not at least via VBA User forms)? Also you can create a multiple selection list control that allows this, but the control can't auto dimension to each cell's size. (Say like a pop-up.

Point: many people would like to be able to make a simple, multiple selection list box that can be easily copied to a column of cells (not just within an Excel form). It doesn't matter how it's done, as long as it's easy.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Customisable filter

It would be great to customize the size of the filter box in excel. At present I can only manually resize it, and each time I reopen the filter, I have to resize it again. It would be great if the default opened to whatever size you made it the previous time. Also would be great if the text size could be enlarged.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please fix the Check boxes from the developer tab

The check boxes that can be created from the Developer ribbon don't seem to work in Excel for Mac 2016. You can see them but you can't check or uncheck them.

Please fix this!!! I can't use a range of reports because they all rely on check boxes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow the NULL() result in a formula to create an effectively empty cell. This posted in the Windows side but not on Mac

There is not way to get a formula result to be the same as an ampty cell.
    This explored in much more detail on the Windows Excel side by Jon Peltier.
    It would be extremely useful as a statistical 'Missing Value' flag that should propagate through formula as though the cell were empty.
    Bob Jodan

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. CHANGE ATTRIBUTES OF THE CURSOR CELL

I have just started using Excel 2016 on my Mac and find it extremely difficult to locate the position the cursor on the screen. It is an age thing and the eyes are going! I would like to be able to adjust the attributes of the Cursor Cell by:
    (1) Changing the Background Colour of the Cursor Cell and/or
    (2) Changing the Thickness of Border around the Cursor Cell and/or
    (3) Change the Colour of the Border of the Cursor Cell.

I make the distinction between the Cursor Cell - the Actual Position of the Cursor on the Screen as…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Condense the icon spacing on the Quick Access toolbar

I understand that while Excel 2016 has been upgraded to allow customization of the Quick Access toolbar, the icon spacing only allows about half the number as Excel 2011. A couple of months ago I cancelled my Office365 subscription after discovering that the Quick Access toolbar couldn't be customized. I won't be a subscriber until I learn that this productivity problem is solved.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make it easier to find external links

Make it easier to find external links, like the windows request, but please give us this before you give it the windows clan

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base