Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We need a "SORT" function to automatically sort rows or columns.

The syntax would be simple: =rowsort (array,column to be sorted,0 or 1).
    Array: select the array of the desired sort
    Column: the column number to be sorted
    0 or 1: ascending or descending.

The "column" syntax entry could be further expanded to include the order of the columns to be sorted by; ie rowsort(A1:D19,{1,2,4},0) would indicate the array A1:D19 would be sorted ascending in the order of column 1, then 2, then 4.
    issues: 1. if the first sorted column is entered first (for data entry) the whole row would instantly sort when "Enter" is selected unless one has set…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple O365 accounts and Excel 15 for MacOS

I have two Office365 accounts (one for work and one for family) but I am punished for being a good Microsoft customer with a non-functioning sign in mechanism. Every time I open a document stored in an O365 Sharepoint I am forced to sign in at least twice before the document opens. Even worse, at no point in the Sign-in process is any indication given which account you should be signing into, it is assumed that you remember which account the document was stored in; this does not sound like a product that is making life easier. I am raising…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use Mac Core Document Behaviours, not Windows paradigms (e.g. for autosave / recover)

Apps designed specifically for Mac employ Mac Core Document Behaviours, i.e. OS-level methods for handling documents, e.g. autosaving and recovery.

The issues with Mac Excel's document-handling, particularly after force-quitting Excel or forcing a shutdown of the Mac, or a crash:
    - Excel presents a pop-up on re-opening ('Excel saved changes to the file' etc.): this pop-up burns CPU until you click on it. But the pop-up isn't required if you're handling documents in 'the Mac way' in any case, as other apps do.

• Excel re-opens docs as 'Last Saved By User' or 'Recovered' (from memory): As a Mac user, I…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ComboBox menu in UserForm partially hidden for the user

In recent version 15.38 (170902), ComboBox menu in UserForm appears in the background of a UserForm and is therefore partially hidden by the UserForm itself (and not accessible by the User).
    See attached file.
    Sincerely

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Mac numeric keyboard changing from dot to comma

Dear sir or madam,
    As soon as I upgraded to office 365 on my MAC, I have this really irritated problem:
    When I input numbers as accounting or currency in the sheet, I usually use the numeric keyboard (which is on the right side of the keyboard). Beforehand I use the dot (.) as the comma (,) in this numeric keyboard in the oud version excel (2011). But with the new excel 2016, the dot (.) appears to be the dot (.). So I have to use the comma key on the other side of the keyboard, which is near…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Right clicking the icon in the title bar should reveal the location of the file (Mac OS X standards...)

In any other Mac OS X app, when you right click the icon in the title bar, you get a drop down of where your file lives in your file system.

When you click the enclosing folder, it pops that up in the finder. SUPER handy when you are trying to figure out where you saved that file.

I have not found a way to do that in Office and it's SO frustrating when Microsoft ignores standards that Mac users expect.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. How do I stop receiving email updates about an issue?

How do I stop receiving email updates about an issue? I click unsubscribe and all that does is take me to the Excel Suggestion Box page. There is no place there to unsubscribe.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Incorporate default zoom level into preferences rather than saved into the workbook

I'd like to see zoom level as an individual preference by machine/license rather than incorporated into the workbook.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel Preview on Mac

The Excel Mac preview is very small. This is unlike a PC where the image is much larger and easier to read. Also, there is no preview shortcut on the tool bar.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Lose all the circa 1980s modal dialogue box stuff

Interesting you don't have a Category for "Usability"!

If i want to change background colours for a group of cells I have to click 3 times all at different places on the screen to bring up the macOS colour picker, the only place I can store my own custom colours, just to do it. Where as in Numbers I can just click the floating colour palate if I have the Cells sidebar up (I prefered Numbers and all the iWork apps when almost everything was floating palettes than side bars which although not modal means more clicking)

This is just…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Hi there is a bug , first letter in word in WORD or in a range of EXCEL is in english, although I have switched to greek, then everything

Hi there is a bug , first letter in word in WORD or in a range of EXCEL is in english, although I have switched to greek, then everything

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pivot Table Auto-filtering

When doing a search in a Pivot Table, the data is not not get auto filtered as it does in a non-pivotable Filter. After you type in the search item you then have to uncheck the select all box and re-select the checkbox of the item you are searching for to filter the data. Please fix. Thank you.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Touchbar "edit cell contents" shortcut

Please put a "edit cell contents" touchbar button roughly where F2 used to be. Would save me hours. Much more useful than the current "Paste" button.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Consistency in the More Commands options

I have recently been looking for 3 things that I always add to my toolbar: Paste Values, Paste Formatting and Light Shading. Windows has all of these, Mac not so - and even the ones in Mac don't appear until you select the option for "items not on the toolbar". Surely the options should now be consistent between platforms, and why Paste Formatting isn't there escapes me completely. I use these all the time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Honor the "Keep Windows" part of "Quit and Keep Windows"

(This goes not just for Excel, but for all apps in the Office 2016 for Mac suite.)

I usually have multiple documents open that I work on simultaneously. If I quit Excel, I want all of those documents to re-open the next time I use Excel. Otherwise I have to re-open each of them individually.

If I hold the Option key while clicking on the Excel dropdown at the top-left of the screen, the "Quit Excel" selection is changed to "Quit and Keep Windows." But when I quit Excel in this fashion, the windows I had open do NOT re-open…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Decimals with external numeric pad

When using an external numerical pad with a Mac, the dot for decimals is automatically changed into a comma, hence the figures are not recognized as numbers but as text (even though the Mac and Excel settings for decimals are set to dots).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Additional features for Excel charts

Hello,
    I just wanted to make a couple of suggestion regarding the charts in Excel:
    1) I am occasionally making area charts in Excel and an option of making area angles "smooth" (similar to what Excel has for line charts) would come handy in many instances.
    2) I am also making bubble charts and found out that unfortunately it cannot be combined with other chart types.

Perhaps these could be considered for the next releases of Excel. This is for both Windows and Mac Excel.

Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. change comment line

Permit changing comment line color (the little line connecting the comment to the cell) so it can be black. It's ALWAYS yellow now and no one can see it.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please include the ability to modify the ribbon for Excel 2016 outright purchased Mac edition

I have purchased the 2016 Mac edition of Office and have noticed that Microsoft has dropped the option to modify the ribbon for the outright purchased edition. This has caused me problems as I am unable to do the work required for my course on how to use Excel. I have attached what my Excel looks like compared to what is on you support sight (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-the-Ribbon-and-the-Quick-Access-Toolbar-in-Office-2016-for-Mac-26911d4c-4971-41cd-b606-5fbc0318f499), as it is only available for those that subscribe. Can you please add this feature for the outright purchased editions. I really do need it.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base