Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. open last saved location

After upgrading to 10.11.x I have noticed when opening another excel spreadsheet, the last location is my Documents and not the last place I opened. Example.. I open a spreadsheet located on my Desktop and want to open another in the same location, I have to navigate through 4 folders before I reach my desired location. Why, does excel not remember my last local?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Charts in Excel 2011 are pixelated

Charts made in Excel 2007 have a crisp graphic. Its easy to export to Adobe and they remain editable. In Excel 2011 the markers are blurred when printed or exported.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. View (All) option (like Word) to see all white-space characters, training spaces, new-lines, etc.

Given how single trailing spaces can disrupt smooth functioning of functions, especially like VLOOKUP, it would be wonderful to have an option to display spaces, new-lines (and indeed anything else that can contribute to "hidden" white-space) just like we have been able to see in Word as an option for, ooh, about a century (or at least since the beginning of time).
    At the same time, and in the same mode, a distinctive background shading or similar of numbers-stored-as-text — another huge time waster and caltrop for the novice, and even not-so-novice users.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Costumize the background

How about give the possibility to change the color of the background (under the sheet), instead the classic grey?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Full implementation of the Application.MacroOptions

The "Application.MacroOptions" as described but the Microsoft documentation https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff838997.aspx does not appear to be fully implemented for Excel 2016 MAC. The argument "ArgumentDescription" that is described in the Excel VBA reference causes a compile error to be raised. How about full implementation of the Application.MacroOptions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove all subtotals on pivot tables

Add a checkbox for removing all subtotals on a Pivot Table like Windows Excel. It's frustrating to remove subtotals from each item individually.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. id like to insert po up calendars in different cells of my sheets as it was possible before

before (in formerly versions 2003/207/2010...) it was possible to insert a pop up calendar in cells and just click on the convenient date to fulfill tjhe cell with the corect date. It's a very intersting option when using a sheet where you have to complete a lot of different dates . Would it be possible to offer again this funcationality? ( sorry for my poor english but i'm french) i have a 365 office version installed on a macbook air. Best regards. LP

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. A way to disable "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer" each time I click on a linked file

If that notification could be disabled that would be great. I use excel a lot to keep a long list of powerpoints organized as we get them in med school and each one I click on I have to grant permissions for that file and then I also get the other pop-up about that it can contain viruses. I understand it's important to be there but I would really like a way to turn it off or a "do not ask me again"

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Webservice and FilterXML functions are needed!

The Webservice and FilterXML functions are supported in Excel 2013 for Win, they are useful function and I need the same functions in my work. Please add Webservice and FilterXML functions in Excel 2016 for MAC.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have Excel - and other Office programs - follow current OS X standards for menus and title bars

In your info page for Office, you say:

"Unmistakably Office, designed for Mac … combining the familiarity of Office and the unique Mac features you love."

But Office 2016 seems just like Office 2011 by not updating some menu and title bar features to reflect current OS X standards. It took me a while to get used to these, but now that I have it's frustrating to expect them and find them missing. Two big ones:

• Save/Duplicate/Save As… Shift-Cmd-S is now supposed to be "Duplicate" by default in OS X, not Save As. Instead, the Option key is used to…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, comments and votes for following OS X standards for menus and title bars. Some aspects mentioned here have been addressed, such as switching windows within Excel by pressing CMD+` (key that has ~ on it). We will continue to monitor votes and comments to prioritize accordingly with other suggestions here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

12. Fix ODBC and/or JDBC Connectivity in Excel for Mac 2016

Currently Excel for Mac 2016 fails to connect to our system using a JDBC connector provided by OpenLink. This could be brushed off, however Excel for Mac 2011 works perfectly on the same system.

The connection is made and data is correctly imported using 2011, but not 2016 on the same system. It fails with the following pop-up error via 2016:

[OpenLink][ODBC][JDBC Server]java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/as400/access/AS400JDBCDriver

This would appear to be an OpenLink or Java error, however this is consistently reproducible on the same system with 2016 and works fine on the same system with 2011 via the same file.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. how about fixing the spinning beachball for 30-40 seconds whenever I start excel or word? What could it possibly be doing?

Office 2011 mac, yosemite, fully up to date. Whenever I start excel or word - they load up, the window is there but I can't do ANYTHING with the app for another 30-40 seconds. I have good internet, and updates turned off (I run manually), so is this just about making me think about getting a new version?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Adjust font size of formula bar

I have been struggling with ultra-tiny characters in the formular bar when editing complex formulas. One should be able to increase the font size within the formular bar in order to better grasp complex formulas and color coding (colored brackets).

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add Dropbox as an online source in the Office Apps

When opening new files, there is only the option for Onedrive. I would love to see Dropbox there just like the online versions of office and the Microsoft versions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Saving a file in new folder

while saving the opened file through 'save as' option, it does not give option for 'new folder'

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add option to turn off two-sided printing in Excel!

Real pain to go into preset settings, and that DOES NOT WORK (at least for HP printers. A simple check box would make sense!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Remove Cap on File Path Length - We Shouldn't Have to Move Files to Save Them

A limit on the length of a file name is fine, but limiting the file path length means that if your life is complicated by folders within folders then you regularly have to move around folders just to save documents in Excel. This is very tedious and creates new possibilities for error while working.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make boxes like 'define name' box and define data for charts resizable.

Not sure if this is editing Make the floating boxes like 'define name' and specify data for charts resizable. They are very difficult to use if names are longer than just a few characters. e.g. when defining a name from a different work book.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. sheet-right to left

we can,t find any tools to change sheet right to left .
    There is that in page lay out menu at windows microsoft office

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base