Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Decimals with external numeric pad

When using an external numerical pad with a Mac, the dot for decimals is automatically changed into a comma, hence the figures are not recognized as numbers but as text (even though the Mac and Excel settings for decimals are set to dots).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Additional features for Excel charts

Hello,
    I just wanted to make a couple of suggestion regarding the charts in Excel:
    1) I am occasionally making area charts in Excel and an option of making area angles "smooth" (similar to what Excel has for line charts) would come handy in many instances.
    2) I am also making bubble charts and found out that unfortunately it cannot be combined with other chart types.

Perhaps these could be considered for the next releases of Excel. This is for both Windows and Mac Excel.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. change comment line

Permit changing comment line color (the little line connecting the comment to the cell) so it can be black. It's ALWAYS yellow now and no one can see it.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please include the ability to modify the ribbon for Excel 2016 outright purchased Mac edition

I have purchased the 2016 Mac edition of Office and have noticed that Microsoft has dropped the option to modify the ribbon for the outright purchased edition. This has caused me problems as I am unable to do the work required for my course on how to use Excel. I have attached what my Excel looks like compared to what is on you support sight (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-the-Ribbon-and-the-Quick-Access-Toolbar-in-Office-2016-for-Mac-26911d4c-4971-41cd-b606-5fbc0318f499), as it is only available for those that subscribe. Can you please add this feature for the outright purchased editions. I really do need it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. The Mac Excel 2017 always lag

The Mac Excel 2017 always lag.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cannot change number of decimal places

I have attempted to assign 4 decimal places to all values in a large table of values. Using the usual method of highlighting the whole array of cells and using FORMAT-CELLS-NUMBER-decimal places 4 does changes most of the values to 4 decimal places but a few columns show 0, 1, 2, 3 or other number of decimals. Using the Increase or Decrease Decimal button on the Home ribbon does nothing, although the increase/decrease decimal buttons work fine on the columns of numbers successfully set to 4 decimal places. Yet another glitch in this worst-ever version of Excel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow INSERT of Rows in Table with Locked Columns

I would like to provide a table to a user where the formula (calculated columns) are Locked. I do this by Locking the relevant column(s) and protecting the worksheet. When I do this, the user cannot extend the table by inserting rows. It seems this cannot be done in the Windows version either. A chance for the Mac developers to take the lead!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I have a question: How can we resize the worksheet tabs at the bottom of the page

I have a question: How can we resize the worksheet tabs at the bottom of the page
    Please let the experts solve this issue in Excel for Mac

I HAVE A CASE #1388365282 PLEASE HELP

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back keyboard shortcut for align right!

Am I missing something or are we no longer able to align right a group of cells using command+R? Looking at the list of shortcuts provided by Microsoft, "align right" is not there. This is very basic excel functionality. How could it have been removed??

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. please make excel automatically save all the files every 5 minutes

Please make excel automatically save files every 5 minutes. Its super annoying when my computer shuts down on it's own and my whole days work is lost on excel because I did not manually save it

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Merge Down option - just like Merge Across, but Down. Quick Add.

There exists a "Merge Across" option. A "Merge Down" option should also exist. So you can highlight multiple rows in multiple columns, and you can merge down, so the rows in each column merge, keeping the columns separate. Same principle as Merge Across, just Merge DOWN. Quick add.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring Back Save Workspace

In prior version one had the ability to open & arrange several windows, then save the arrangement as a "workspace" [.xlw] file. In Excel 2011 the feature was renamed as Save Layout, but is yet another useful capability which has been ripped out in the 2016 release for Mac [I believe the Windows version retains the feature.]

Please restore that functionality.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make Excel save CSV files

Currently, when you are editing a .csv file, Excel will not save any changes when you go to File > Save or press ⌘S. It only saves the file when you quit Excel because it prompts you then to save your unsaved work.

Please make Excel actually save your documents when you press save.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Crashes and yet more crashes

After yet another all-too-frequent crash, more work lost since the auto-recover NEVER works. Ironically, since the auto-recover NEVER works, the current crash was triggered by a manual save command. What the heck are you guys going to do about the MAC Office 2016. I seem to spend as much time informing you of glitches and lost functionality as doing real work. Please fess up and declare it a disaster and re-issue an earlier version (2008 preferably) until you can provide a real fix.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Slow Excel input on Mac, Thoughts

I have had the problem and see many other also experience super slow input in Excel on certain worksheets. I have been "unfreezing" newly opened Excel spreadsheets and since then have had no issues with waiting forever for the input to populate the cell. Since then I have saved spreadsheets at work, and made sure the cells were not "froze" and saved to the Cloud. I come home to and open it on my Mac and BANG - the cells open frozen and = super slow performance. Why does it do that? Open sheets with cell's unfrozen please.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please fix the recommended pivot table button

When clicking the recommended pivottable button it doesn't bring up box with recommended pivot tables.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow us to recover our Excel Passwords!!!!!!

It is NOT okay that if a password is forgotten we cannot retrieve them in any way. If you find the need to password protect your spreadsheet, odds are that it is VERY important. What good is it that you cannot retrieve a forgotten password??? Not acceptable.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. set print area" has been omitted

in outlook for mac 2011 version 14.7.1 under the file drop down, "set print area" has been omitted. Please fix.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Frozen Panes scrolling issues

There's a post titled "Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1" that is marked as "completed,", but those issues are still occurring. I'm on a Mac (Yosemite 10.10.5) and my Excel version is 15.34.

Link to post referenced above: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/12428436-freeze-panes-broken-in-15-19-1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Close this file

When you are done editing a file, you should be able to "close" the file and be returned to the default Excel Online screen which shows templates or recent files. This would prevent the locking issue we keep running into when Excel desktop continues to think you or another user is still logged into Excel online. Once the "locked" issue happens, it seems no combination of closing, restarting browser, or even rebooting machine will unlock a "locked for editing" situation. Only time seems to fix it at this point. A "close this file" button would remove all the uncertainty over…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base