Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Contextual Menu to insert Function

When right clicking on a cell provide a contextual menu option to insert a function.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use return key to change cells and retain copied information

Why doesn't using the return key in 2016 Mac to change cells retain a copied formula to paste? Now we are forced to use navigation arrows (or clicking - both much slower) as the only way to navigate to paste. I miss this function from earlier versions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When i save a worksheet as CSV format in Xcel 2016 the variables are separated by semi-Colons instead of Commas.This causes severe problems

When i save a worksheet as CSV format in Xcel 2016 the variables are separated by semi-colons and not comms.
    This causes severe problems when importing CSV files in other applications. Cel 2011 correctly exports CSV files with commas separating the variables.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel 2016 Mac external numerical keypads, number is immediately deleted

In Excel 15.22 for Mac
    When an usb external numerical keypad (Targus and Belkin) is used to enter numbers, the numbers appear but are immediately deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix ColorIndex 22 on Excel for Mac

On Excel for Mac Version 15.22, ColorIndex = 22 should be a reddish-pink color, but instead it appears orange. This happens when I use a macro to color the cell myself, or when I open a spreadsheet that has already been colored with this ColorIndex.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Myriad Pro italic font formatting issues

I just updated to El Capitan and now when changing Myriad Pro font from regular to italic, the formatting of the cell is all messed up. I've so far only noticed it on this one font.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. EXCEL for MAC

Bonjour.
    Apparemment la fonctionalité suivante n'existe pas dans la version MAC et c'est bien dommage:
    "Evaluation de formule" dans Excel pour Mac 2011 qui, d'après l'ouvrage de Faïza Moumen Piasco, "Gestion Comptable avec Excel", éditions Eni,,2012 se trouve dans l'onglet Formule > Audit de formules > Evaluation de Formules et qui permet d'évaluer les formules imbriquées au fur et à mesure en soulignant chaque fois l'élément sur lequel il travaille. C'est un outil bien plus élaboré que l'outil de recherche des antécédents et très utile !

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Upward Search/Find

If you're at a specific cell in a workbook, the current Find functionality (command-F) only allows you to search downward, to the NEXT cell that matches the value. I frequently need to search UP to find the PREVIOUS cell that matches that value, and there seems to be no such function. In a program as mature as Excel, this lack of basic functionality seems rather idiotic, and downright lame. I think you even used to have it, many years ago, and then got rid of it in a flash of lunacy. A simple checkbox in the search dialogue box that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Show number of cells selected

I would like the screen to somewhere show a readout of how many cells are selected. Whether I'm selecting a group of cells to either paste to, or copy from (or even just select to get a manual count, without copying or pasting), I'm amazed that a program as mature as Excel does not have the simple, basic functionality of showing how many cells are selected. Please implement this!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Why can I open excel but not office?

Office 365 is really awful, and I don't know how to get a standalone version again. Crashing often. Right now I cannot get back into my office after crashing, but excel and powerpoint are still open? I've reset my password twice, nothing works. Really really really don't like the new format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Customization of status bar (show multiple aggregates - SUM, COUNT, MIN, MAX, etc) like Windows Excel

In Excel for Windows the status bar can show multiple information of the selected cells (sum, count, min, max etc.), which is extremely useful. This feature would be nice to have in Excel for Mac as well.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel could not open because some content is unreadable

Hello -

We use a collaborate Google Sheets to mark daily hours we spend on specific projects. Every month, I create a pivot table to tally the numbers/project. I want to back up this table for my records in an Excel workbook. When I download as .xlsx, I get an error message "Excel could not open .... because some content is unreadable". Then I click "Open and repair", and it says "Excel repaired or removed unreadable content from this workbook. Do you want to review or save the log file?". Therefore, I can assume some of my data is lost.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. id like to insert po up calendars in different cells of my sheets as it was possible before

before (in formerly versions 2003/207/2010...) it was possible to insert a pop up calendar in cells and just click on the convenient date to fulfill tjhe cell with the corect date. It's a very intersting option when using a sheet where you have to complete a lot of different dates . Would it be possible to offer again this funcationality? ( sorry for my poor english but i'm french) i have a 365 office version installed on a macbook air. Best regards. LP

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Automatic detection of matrix formula results

Add automatic range selection for matrix formula results, as works in Open/LibreOffice and Google Apps for many years - no more F2,CTRL-Shift-Enter...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Put the keyboard shortcuts for deletes back on? the ctrl-K and Ctrl-i (that italicizes everything)

We use Ctrl-K to delete an entire line and Ctrl-I inserted a line (copied or just a blank). Both of those are missing and we need them back desperately! Using ctrl-i just italicizes everything instead. Please put these back?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. VLOOKUP and 256 characters limit

Many functions in EXCEL for MAC 2011 don't work at all (they return the dreaded #VALUE field) if the one of the reference cells has more than 256 characters. This is the case already for VLOOKUP, and for TEXT. Possibly for others as well?
    Users shall have a list of these, to avoid disappointment. Of course if it could be corrected it would be better.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Find and replace text without affecting font style[Bold,Italic,Subscript,Superscript]

I want to find some text and replace to null string, After the text will be replaced. But, the following words font style would be affect.

Any idea to fix this?
    Thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Error with VLOOKUP and GETPIVOTDATA double-populating characters

When I try entering a formula in which the range references cells in a separate workbook, I get a double-character in the formula when I start typing again.

For example, I try to enter the formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A$C,3,FALSE)

To populate the cell range, I click into the other workbook and highlight the desired columns. Then I enter the comma and 3. Excel will automatically turn the 3 into a 33.

For GETPIVOT, I see similar issues, but this time it tends to insert two commas after the workbook cell reference.
    Sample formula:
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Field",'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A1,"Name","Value")

If I create formulas reference ranges within the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base