Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow attaching symbols to quick-access toolbar buttons (as is the case in Excel for Windows)

For many years I had a customized set of buttons in the toolbar at the top of Excel spreadsheets. Some of these were standardized commands (splitting the worksheet); others were macros I had created. These sped up my work significantly. I had hoped to use the Quick Access Toolbar in Excel for Mac 2016 to recreate the most important of these. I can do this, but they all have the same button symbol!! Could you allow me to replace the buttons with symbols, as I could in Excel for Mac 2011 and apparently could if I used Excel 2016 for…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I am unable to edit the comment box, why?

unable to edit comment box in Excel for Mac

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reopen windows previously open when Excel (or Word) is reopened

When Excel – and also Word – is reopened, it does not reopen the files that previously had been opened when Excel/Word was closed. This is a VERY useful feature that recent versions of MAC OS, and MS Office, supported. PLEASE bring this feature back to Excel and Word, and PowerPoint as well.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Set default file opening location

Let the user set the default file location when launching Excel. The default is OneDrive, which I don't use, or On My Mac which is a slow way to where I want to go which is my Documents folder. Let me delete OneDrive, and go directly to the Documents folder where I store my data.

Excel for Mac used to work this way, but at some point that functionality was woefully changed. I'll never use OneDrive.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Date format addition

Please add the date format option to have the date read as 01/01/2018.

This option is not available in Mac version 14.5.7

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. It's happened for the second time that after a Mac Office update everything I had done during the past seven days had vanished.

It's happened for the second time that after a Mac Office update everything I had done during the past seven days had vanished. The Time machine data for this week very also gone. Should not have happened.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. stock quotes

Pull Stock Quotes real time from MS Finance.

As Microsoft has data already for MS Finance, a simple formula like =GOOGFINANCE can make Excel amazing. Now I switch between Excel and Google Sheets.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. % of Parent Row Total and % of Parent Column Total

Allow in Pivot Tables to calculate the percentage of items as part of a subgroup.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel error

When I try to close excel or save a file, the following error appears as per attachments. I noticed the error started when iMac updated to version 10.13.1 (High Sierra)

I have also updated Excel software, but error still appears. Please fix.

Thanks Steve

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. When setting filters, change default to "equals" instead of "Choose one"

Upon opening filters for a column, the cursor is found in the field next to "Choose one". In Excel 2011, one could enter a value here (without having to choose an option) and hit return, and the filter would show only the rows that show that value. Now, it does nothing after typing the value and hitting enter. Why was this made more difficult than before?!?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Since 25 February 2018 the 'Freeze Panes' command crashes the workbook

Since 25 February 2018 the 'Freeze Panes' command crashes the workbook

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Cannot paste into field in UserForm when displayed on Mac in Excel 2016

Context: A spreadsheet with a macro created on a PC with a UserForm.
    When run on a PC, the user can copy and paste values into the form fields (in our case, a long URL). When run on a Mac, the Paste command is unavailable, both from menus, context menus and the keyboard.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I would like the ability to have thinner lines when formatting cell borders

I am using Microsoft Excel to create some Accounting Sheets instead of using the PDF's I was given. A lot of cells I will need to format with borders and as it currently stands the border options in Microsoft Excel for Mac is limited to 3 solid lines and if I am correct the thinnest line is 1 Point.

However, in Microsoft Word when creating Tables I am given the option of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 and all the way up to 6 Point. Being able to have these options would allow my spreadsheet to more closely resemble the PDF…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. How about making it work with without crashing!

Every time I finish, I get a crash message saying it closed unexpectedly. The product should be way mature beyond this nonsense.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Text formatting

Can we please have a one button control in the formatting tab which will format text to upper, lower, sentence or proper case. Eg:

upper --> UPPER
    LoWeR --> lower
    sentence Case -->Sentence case
    proper case --> Proper Case

I would write a macro to do this but the VBA editor is useless.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I have Excel 365 for Mac. I want to have a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT for FIND & REPlACE! I sorely miss the one I used on Excel 2011.

I have Excel 365 for Mac. I want to have a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT for FIND & REPLACE! I sorely miss the one I used on Excel 2011.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Default view for ALL documents - so they aren't opening in tiny windows?

In the new version press release it says 'it's a bit rough around the edges'. In my experience, so is the current version. There's not even a 'view' default that can be set - so excel docs open at whatever size they decide.(?) So I'm spending all my time resizing tiny excel windows and all support can do is pass me over here - quite how that cures the bugs in my program I have no idea.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Format of data from database

When I open files exported from sql database, the numbers appear, but none can be used. Columns that need to be summed need to be converted to numbers ("Columns to text", then choosing finish, since converting cell by cell takes minutes) or columns to text, choosing text if it is a mixed column of numbers and text that need to be referenced.

Excel should be able to open them to work with them however, not just as general data that is neither text or value.

The text problem is related to the way vlookup works where it needs to either…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix the problem where the entire program runs so slowly it's unusable.

This program is excruciatingly slow. Every small function such as copy and paste takes minutes. I don't see how Microsoft Excel has any market share given how painfully slow it is. I've been an Excel user for years, but I'm strongly considering changing. Worst program ever.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base