Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. modify page breaks in excel

Improve the ability to modify page breaks in excel (as in the windows version): often the cursor to move page breaks does not appear or does not shift the breaks

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support the Box Plot on MAC version of Excel for God sake !!!

It's very frustrating to see that something which has been there for ages in Windows version is taking years for you to make it available for Mac. I know you guys desperately want us to shift to windows OS, but excluding some features from MAC version is not gonna force us to do so. So, Grow up and please make this work !!!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keystroke instead of Drop-Down Menu

Office 2016 FORCES us to now go to a Drop-Down Menu OFTEN ... when before the action could be done with a keystroke:

Examples:
    1) Command W ... to close a file ... now forces you to move your mouse cursor up to the blue word SAVE ... rather than simply hitting the letter "S" (which is right below the letter "W"). We should be able to hit the letter "D" for "DON'T SAVE" as well

2) BORDERS: I often use the "option+command +arrows" to provide borders. SOMETIMES IT WORKS ... Other times it does NOT WORK ... and I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Superscript a number in a cell

Need to be able to add a superscript to a number in a cell and have it recognize the superscript as not part of the number in the cell when the cell entry is saved. Now it changes the superscript back to the regular number. Should work like when the superscript is added to an alpha character in a cell.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel 16.12 Bug?

I made a spreadsheet with the headings at a 45 degree angle. If I put a tint in those cells, the headings don't print! Without the tint, they print fine. The headings that aren't at the 45 degree angle print fine with a tint.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove "Add Header" or "Add Footer" from Page View

Remove the grayed "Add Header" and "Add Footer" from being visible in Page View (example below). It wasn't visible in Excel 2011 but is visible by default on 2016. Or, maybe it's only visible when grids are visible? I create many forms with Excel and often leave the view for users to tab through the form in page view and magnified at a view that is best. Now all our customers submitting these forms have a big "Add Header" at the top of our nicely designed forms. Example attached.

This was my initial post in the community forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-mso

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. refresh data

MacOS High Sierra
    Version:10.13.3

Excel Version:16.11(180311)

When I use "DATA-REFRESH(ALL)" , the application gets force quit, and the "extremal data connections has been enable". I re-installed the software, never for good.
    It happens every time I use it, still have not resolved this problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Excel withouth crashing

Please make the new version of excel like the version was in early 2016. Since an update in 2016 Excel is crashing when I'm trying to add background color to the cells. Even on Sierra and High Sierra. I've sent error reports, but nothing happened - that's why it seems like it is a feature not a fault for Microsoft. So please, make Excel like it was before. Without crashing, without any troubles.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix High Sierra file tag bug - Excel and Word both clear the file tags

Excel v15.39 clears the MacOS file tags. I had numerous files tagged in MacOS, I upgraded to High Sierra and Excel/Word clear the tags each time it saves the file. Easy to reproduce.

• tag file

• open file

• change something

• save file

• tag gone

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Put Scroll Bars back

Put scroll bars (horizontal and vertical) back. Or at least put the slider back - the scroll bars are actually there but without any slider are totally unusable (took me a long time to even notice that the white bar was actually a scroll bar without any slider!

It's a nightmare trying to work without scroll bars and this feature needs to be put back really urgently.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PLEASE change back the Save As function so I can choose PDF without going to Preferences!

PLEASE change back the Save As function so I can choose PDF without going to Preferences!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bring back tear-off menus

What was wrong with having tear-off menus? If one could have a tear-off menu for colors, another for line type, another for font color or fill color, etc, then if one is working on charts where many edits such as these need to be made, it would be a LOT faster and easier to click on the options if various tear-off menus were arranged on the screen per the user's preference. PLEASE bring these back!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel for Mac 2016 (v16.9) bug importing data into Excel sheet

In the most recent update of Excel for Mac 2016 (v16.9), when you import data into Excel you only get to view a small selection of columns in the data preview window (Preview of Selected Data). You cannot scroll the right to view/manipulate the rest of the columns, which is essential during the importing of the data. This behavior is unaffected by the System Preferences>General>Scrolling behavior selections.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. User defined functions

I developed an Excel Add-in that is coupled to a Fortran code in Excel 2016 for Mac. This works perfectly. However, it would be nice if the list of (user defined) functions could be visualised in a separate category or visualised anyway in the "Formula Builder" pane on the right side of the screen (in between the already existing categories and functions). I tried to use

Sub AddUDFToCustomCategory()

Application.MacroOptions Macro:="MyFunction", Category:="MyCat"

End Sub

but that does not work, nor in my develop Add-in, nor in a very simple Add-In with only one simple function.

Looking forward to an answer!

Teus

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Well, I upgraded from Office 2011 to Office 2016 expecting improvement. It takes 10 times longer to start up!!! THIS IS PROGRESS?

Well, I upgraded from Office 2011 to Office 2016 expecting improvement. It takes 10 times longer to start up!!! THIS IS PROGRESS?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix, remove, or allow users to disable the multicore implementation

Recently the Excel team has introduced an unfortunate attempt at multi-core processing that has rendered the product unusable for some customers. Please either roll this back, fix it, or simply allow users to disable the functionality!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Displaying number of decimal places

Excel 15.412. A new glitch. I enter a number, say 56, in a cell, but the display shows 0.56. In Preferences-Edits, I do have the “Display number of decimal places” checked for 2 decimal places, as I have always liked this as my default for displaying numbers. Therefore, I would expect that entering 56 would display as 56.00, as it always had in all previous versions of Excel. What is going on? This glitch is adding a lot of valuable time to my work, since I have to uncheck the "2 decimal places" box and then reformat all work to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. touch

Please, add a function of customising Touch Bar! There are only default functions on it with no opportunity of customising! It is horrible!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Stop Messing Up Row Height

release 16.9 sees the return of the bug that automatically increases row heights on some sheets - completely messes-up layout of sheets.

Was this release actually tested? (pretty disastrous to have this - I've had to downgrade to 15.41)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base