Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. trusted locations

Why is there no way to create a trusted location for the mac?
    After upgrading to 15.38 (170902). And for heavens sake why should I get for every minute get a warning dialog about trust issues. My document doesn't have a macro or any thing. Isn't there any quality checking??

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add read-write support for OpenDocument files

Excel 2016 can now import and export OpenDocument spreadsheets with the help of cloud converter. However, the files are opened as read-only. What is needed is full read-write support for OpenDocument files, so that one can open an ODS file, edit it, and save it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel for Mac 11 vs 16

I've been using office 11 as my major app at work and it was almost perfect until High Sierra. Easy customizable keyboard shortcuts, customizable toolbar and menu. User friendly VBA and merge with Word. A bit slow while filtering applied, but I could cope with that.
    After High Sierra came along, I switched to Office 16. Nothing to be customized, funky and very annoying animation when click on a cell and tonnes of bugs. VBA has some new limitations. Very inconvenient to use application, so I had to switch back to Office 11. It's working fine on High Sierra, but…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Even basic things don't work

I have so many issues that I don't know where to start? Excel for mac keeps freezing every few minutes. I don't even have such a complex or a large spreadsheet.

1. The edit option in VBA editor keeps freezing. It wasn't even available till a few days ago.

2. When I try to save a linked filed, it takes forever and some times just crashes.

3. Many options available on Windows Excel is not even available on Mac. For instance, find/replace has many options in Windows but not so in Mac.

4. Macro/VBA editors and other related functions are not available or do…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for OpenAPI

It would be nice to add support for the OpenAPI standard for Get & Transform. OData is nice but OpenAPI is also becoming pretty prevalent.

https://www.openapis.org/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. F3 paste range name functionality for defining range in Pivot table range definition

Paste range name dialogue box opens in general worksheet functionality, but does not perform when defining range in pivot table range selection.

This short cut is invaluable for rapid multiple pivot definition.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel 2016 does have spell check while 2011 version had it

It was confirmed after a chat with your help desk that this issue is by design for Excel 2016.

Check spelling and grammar in Office for Mac:

Applies To: Outlook 2016 for Mac, Word 2016 for Mac, Word for Mac 2011, Excel for Mac 2011, Outlook for Mac 2011, PowerPoint for Mac 2011 Less

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Check-spelling-and-grammar-in-Office-for-Mac-05cae673-16e9-4917-9346-6d01a2b9d8efi

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Content scaling on 4K screens is terrible.

MS, the content scaling on MS excel is terrible for macs. any doc that has 85% zoom on windows must be zoomed to 120% on mac for the same level of viewing. This can be proven by opening the same file via VMs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. excel 15.49

this latest version displays the file contents upside down. When you refresh the screen, it corrects most but not all of the content.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. version 15.39

It is displaying the file contents upside down. Most lines will correct when you do something to refresh the screen, but not the column headings for a table.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix the Basic bugs so many have complained about. Is the Office of the President aware of the Mac Business Unit's refusal to help?

There are an incredible number of basic bugs that Microsoft refuses to address. For instance, 90% of the time I delete data from a cell, I must scroll up and then down for the worksheet view to appear blank. That is, deleting data from a cell, does in fact delete the data but the grid view of the cell still looks as though the data has not been deleted. I'm fed up with these kinds of basic bugs. Excel 2016 for Mac was released almost 2 years ago. I will be contacting MSFT's Office the President to inform them of…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make Application.CalculateFull work again...

After a recent update (15.39 is current) Application.CalculateFull does not work as before. I have a spreadsheet with calls to several vba functions in cells. To update the cells from time to time I made a button with an "Application.CalculateFull" call. Before it worked like a charm, now I get a "#Value!" error in every cell with a function call. When I press "fn+ctrl+alt+F9" the cells get updated correctly. Why is Application.CalculateFull broken? Please fix!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel is taking 100% CPU even though I have only 2 spreadsheets open with not much data and no complex formulas (no VB) and just a few tabs

This is a problem. If I reopen the very same spreadsheets, it takes less than 5% of a CPU. (In fact, it often terminates with an error.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Maximise window the way macOS apps are supposed to

When you click the maximise green circle in top left of a document window it now goes to full screen mode. "Option" + clicking does what the older version of the green circle did with the original OS X and many other iterations for most apps. For some reason Microsoft has not got the memo "Human Interface Guides" was never something MS paid too much attention to unfortunately, just implement maximise please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When saving an xls file, as an xlsx, give the option to replace the xls.

Files from my company server are all in xls format, but as I work on them I want to save them in xlsx that has the formating and is much smaller in size. As it is, I have to save it to xlsx and then remember to go in and delete the xls file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Update tooltips and autocomplete/auto suggest to match Windows version functionality

I've encountered two major differences between the Mac and Windows version that have to do with the auto-suggestion of 1) arguments for functions that require specific inputs, and 2) structured references. (Screenshots attached)

1) Take SUBTOTAL() for example, whose first argument is a function_num which must be a number 1 through 11 which correspond to other functions like SUM, AVERAGE, etc. In the Windows version, these are presented to you as soon as you type the function, but in the Mac version you either need to have the numbers memorized, or look it up in the help.

2) Excel for…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Better shortcut for editing a cells text/formula than "cntr" + "u"

This is such a cludge, how about something very easy to remember and hit on the keyboard like "cmd" +"enter" or "cntr" + "return". I use this 5 times a minute and sick to death of "cntr" + "u" which also deprives me of a macro shortcut for unhide.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Expose a VBE add-in entry point

The VBE on Windows is reading a registry key to know where and how to load VBE add-ins from; that key is the ProgId of a COM-registered class that implements the IDTExtensibility2 interface.

It is my understanding that Mac-VBA supports the VBE Extensibility library; if that is indeed the case then there should be a way to write a VBE add-in that can run on the Mac-VBE, and use that extensibility API to provide additional functionality, integrated in the editor. The mechanics would obviously need to be wildly different than on Windows, but there must be a way for the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. AutoSum Shft+Alt+T Bug

Can you please fix the auto sum keyboard shortcut Alt+T to behave like that of Excel 2011 and the Windows Version? It seems like the behavior is broken in Excel 2016. It sums a column of numbers way to fast and doesn't let you see the selection and then press enter to except it. Also, when summing from the side of a column, it does a fast 1 cell sum. In order to make this keyboard shortcut behave correctly you need to hold down Shift+Alt+T until the selection is paused so you can then hit enter or make an expanded…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base