Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix hyperlink

I upgraded from Excel 2011 to Office 365 subscription for use on iMac running Sierra 10.13.2.
    For my excel spreadsheets, whereas previous 2011 version with hyperlinks opening jpg images in the hyperlink function was no problem
    In the latest version, I get the message additional permissions required then I have to grant access having looked through lists of jpg images. Please fix this UPGRADED' version of excel for mac.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For Windows, you can change the number of recent files to show in excel which Excel for Mac doesn’t support. I understand it is inconvenient

Please add and match functionality to allow Mac Users to be able to change the number of recent files in Excel (and Word, too) from the preset of 10.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel 16.8 not loading custom workbook and sheet templates in Startup folder

Since updating to 16.8, Excel does not open the template files in the Startup folder. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Loading and deled files

Loading files with my new excell 2016 takes an extremely long time compared to my previous excell 2011.
    The program also requires an infinite amount of charging time when removing, copying and pasting.
    Gladly a solution for this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Weird issue on latest Fast Track version of Excel for Mac 2016

I am running MacOS 1013 High Sierra, Developer Beta 9 and the latest Fast Track version has about the weirdest problem. If the workbook is an xlsx format then the sheet is reversed (as in you would have to look at it in a mirror to read it), plus upside down. If I save-as that workbook to an xls and reopen it, it looks fine. More information... I also have the same version on a Sierra, 10.12 machine and all is fine, with either workbook format. I captured a screenshot to be sure that you understand what I am seeing.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Clearly and easily indicate page breaks on multiple page print area.

During PRINT SETUP routine, clearly and easily add page breaks to visualize (and adjust) how current settings will appear when printed. I have seen this feature on previous versions of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel error

When I try to close excel or save a file, the following error appears as per attachments. I noticed the error started when iMac updated to version 10.13.1 (High Sierra)

I have also updated Excel software, but error still appears. Please fix.

Thanks Steve

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Nothing works in Excel 16.7 after upgrade to build 171017

Yesterday (2017-10-19) I received a Office Insider Fast upgrade for Excel and after that nothing works. I have the danish version of Excel installed and I can't work on neither new spreadsheets nor existing ones. If I try to enter a value in a cell I get the message "Advarsel: Ingen objekter fundet." (translates to "Warning: No objects found") If I try to edit existing content I get a new window asking me what I want to group by... Nothing works. Please see attached screenshots.

Anybody got any ideas to what this could be?

Please help, I'm desperate.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Various Bugs in VBA Editor

In Excel 2016 Mac build 171017

1. Trying to Import class file... When file dialog appears, you cannot select a .cls file. Clicking on the Options button show "Enable VB Files (.frm, .bas, .cls)" This should work, but class files still cannot be selected. Changing the list to All Files (.) still doesn't work. Changing the list to Class Files (.cls) works and you can select a .cls file.

2. Exporting a class object to a file defaults to Untitled.cls instead of the name of the class. (Same is true for modules)

3. Editor should default to a monospaced…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pourquoi ne trouve-t-on pas dans Excel 2016 la possibilité d'user des formulaires ? C'est une régression par rapport à Excel 2011 !!!

Pourquoi ne trouve-t-on pas dans Excel 2016 la possibilité d'user des formulaires ? C'est une régression par rapport à Excel 2011 !!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a paragraph tap to the cell format window

As you open the format cell function, with the paragraph format function (the same that is in word) one can do the following:
    1- Increase / decrease the space before the text.
    2- add bullet points or number points.
    3- adjust the tap position for each cell.
    4- insert a numbering system that can be carried through out the same style in the worksheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix recent update. Filtering a date column no longer works!

The filter function for a column of dates has stopped working with a recent Excel for Mac 2016 update. Tip/clue: if you delete one of the dates in the column, the filtering again works as normal & expected.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel Error in Date Format with vers 16.9 (171206)

When applying a date format like "dddd" to a spreadsheet-cell, Excel does not recon this. The appropriate "date" format pre-set form (Format -> Cell) seems to be corrupted. (see image enclosed)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make Find/Replace dialog non-modal

Please consider making the Find/Replace dialog work as it does on Windows.

In Excel for Windows the dialog box is non-modal and automatically adjusts position if the selected cell is behind the dialog.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix bug with CPU Straining

Whenever Excel is "left alone" with an open dialogue box (usually when trying trying to log out of the user) it starts hogging CPU like crazy. We're talking 99% CPU usage just for excel even though the sheets are just a few columns of numbers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add ability to create Waterfall charts on MAC version as is possible in Excel on Windows

Add Charts to allow for better ways of smartly analysing or visualising your data, like Waterfall charts! Why is this only in the Windows version?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. What has happened to filtering? If I filter now I end up on row 5000+ and have to scroll to the top to find the filtered data.

What has happened to filtering? If I filter now I end up on row 5000+ and have to scroll to the top to find the filtered data. This was never a problem in 2011. For folk who have to do a lot of filtering this is a massive pain ;( Please, please fix it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please, let us modify the Ribbon and the Quick Access Toolbar in VBA 2016

The menus are gone in VBA. Goodbye. But there's no replacement for these menus. It's not possible, when loading a workbook, to modify them.I know you work hard to implement these properties. Thank you. It's urgent.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base