Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Vote for an existing idea (130)
  • or
  1. Allow Excel to Mac the ability to change forumla and CSV delimeters.

Excel on the Mac has not ability to change the delimiters in the formulas and CSV exports. CSVs do not use ";" as delimiters, and if you have your regional settings customized for regions like South Africa, it forces formulas to use ";" and also CSV files have the ";" requiring you to edit them and find and replace each ";" with an ",".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. It's utter stupidity that I as a research student cannot custom label my data points in a package catered to students

Title says it all, and I can't afford to pay 110 dollars for a standalone when I also use word and powerpoint

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cell formats in Excel for Mac

When modifying the format of a cell in Excel for MAC, one should be able to either save a custom format (currently it disappears when you shut Excel) or edit a default style or add a style to the drop down list. I have a date format I like and have to re-create if every time I want to apply it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Customisable filter

It would be great to customize the size of the filter box in excel. At present I can only manually resize it, and each time I reopen the filter, I have to resize it again. It would be great if the default opened to whatever size you made it the previous time. Also would be great if the text size could be enlarged.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Customization of status bar (show multiple aggregates - SUM, COUNT, MIN, MAX, etc) like Windows Excel

In Excel for Windows the status bar can show multiple information of the selected cells (sum, count, min, max etc.), which is extremely useful. This feature would be nice to have in Excel for Mac as well.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Extend Support to VB.NET on Xamarin

This will support cross-platform addins, native custom worksheet controls, an existing cross-platform IDE, and, especially, an easier migration for current VBA coders than moving to the javascript API.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow the user to clear all unpinned documents from the start-up window

This applies to all the programs in Office 2016 for Mac. Unlike the previous versions from 2011, in the newer and "improved" applications it is no longer possible to clean unpinned documents from the list that shows when Excel/Word/PowerPoint is launched. It's also impossible to clear the recent documents that show under File > Open Recent. This clearly reflects Microsoft's new and disrespectful stance on the privacy of their customers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Insert Sheet Row As Default Instead of Insert Copied Cells

When data is on the clipboard, clicking "Insert" in the Ribbon automatically inserts that data, again and again and again. I'd rather disable this "feature" or enable inserting blank rows/columns instead of the clipboard data.

I often insert the data and then two or three blank rows after it, but this keeps on pasting the data on the clipboard. It's a huge pain.

Let us customize how Insert works (Ribbon button).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Signature line needed in Excel 2016 for MAC

I have several customers that would like to see the Signature line functionality that is available in the Windows version, also become available in the MAC version. This is needed for a variety of reasons, but the number 1 reason I hear, is so they can have employees 'sign off' on their timesheets, without having to print them or export to PDF. They have also called it 'Inking', where you can sign off with your fingertip.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to name and place icons on macros added to the Quick Access Toolbar

When a macro is added to the QAT, it displays as a circle in the toolbar. Add another, you get another circle. Unless you memorize what you added and the order you added them, you don't know what you're selecting. The list for customizing the QAT shows them as <<No label>>. You can name them with the Rename option on gear at the bottom of the dialog, but they revert back to no label after you exit the dialog.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. support searching on Mac OS for unicode characters e.g. 0x000D carriage return

support searching for unicode characters e.g. 0x000D carriage return.

Many data sources use 0x0D for a carriage return.

There are times where it needs to be replaced with something else, like a tab character.

"Carriage return" is often present in imported text.
    Also it can be created by Option-Command-Enter (useful in making a list within a cell), or
    using the Apple Unicode Hex Input keyboard by holding option and typing the 4 digit hex code Option-000D

When searching for this character in Excel 2011 (or Word 2011) for Mac, Microsoft instead finds the space character.

In the attached file (the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable Basic Diagnostic Data button

The diagnostics permission window popped up upon launch and I dutifully read that I could choose between BASIC and FULL permission from that app. So I clicked ok -- BAD IDEA! In the app (Preferences>Security & Privacy) THERE IS NO BUTTON FOR BASIC PERMISSION. It is now stuck on sharing full access which I did NOT want; apparently no way to change/deselect it. I tried online chat and they said all I could do was offer this suggestion. This is definitely not the outcome I was seeking. BAD CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow attaching symbols to quick-access toolbar buttons (as is the case in Excel for Windows)

For many years I had a customized set of buttons in the toolbar at the top of Excel spreadsheets. Some of these were standardized commands (splitting the worksheet); others were macros I had created. These sped up my work significantly. I had hoped to use the Quick Access Toolbar in Excel for Mac 2016 to recreate the most important of these. I can do this, but they all have the same button symbol!! Could you allow me to replace the buttons with symbols, as I could in Excel for Mac 2011 and apparently could if I used Excel 2016…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Get conditional formatting to have fewer bugs! It is loaded with bugs!

when using conditional formatting, I willl type in $A3 in my expression, e.g.
    =MOD($A3,2)=1
    and when I exit, the change does not appear to work. So I go back in and find the the formula has been changed to
    =MOD(A1048567,2)=1
    why?

I want to set different colors for my formatting. So I go in and change the custom format fill color. When I leave the color selector (using OK) I see that the color is still the same! So I edit it again, and once again it restores in original (erroneous) color Huh?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow users to define Programmable Hotkeys for any Simple or Advanced Functions!

You don't need to break Excel's hotkeys to do this! You can keep your shortcut key TOTALLY INTACT!

Here's how you do it: Give us programmable hotkeys, for example Option 1 - 9 Can be user-programmable hotkeys.

For any given user, there are 10 involved tasked that they most commonly perform, for which there are no hotkeys.

For example, for a user they might be:

1) Drawing a box around a cell

2) Converting a Number to a Percent

3) Creating a line graph specifically out of two columns (which normally requires 2-3 clicks - the hotkey will enable the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I guess you aren't reading the comments and suggestions or...

....you simply DON'T GIVE A **** about your customers who continue to suffer crashes out of NOWHERE!

Autorecovery - not ONE single time has this alleged function worked for me when a crash occurs.

Autosave - see above! Why have the feature if it simply creates a FALSE HOPE that it can assist when one of your frequent crashes occur on my computer.

BEFORE you offer some egg head, dipshit comment like "you should just save your work frequently as you move along" I'll throw it back at you and say "WHY WOULD I NEED TO IF YOU WOULD…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please include the ability to modify the ribbon for Excel 2016 outright purchased Mac edition

I have purchased the 2016 Mac edition of Office and have noticed that Microsoft has dropped the option to modify the ribbon for the outright purchased edition. This has caused me problems as I am unable to do the work required for my course on how to use Excel. I have attached what my Excel looks like compared to what is on you support sight (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-the-Ribbon-and-the-Quick-Access-Toolbar-in-Office-2016-for-Mac-26911d4c-4971-41cd-b606-5fbc0318f499), as it is only available for those that subscribe. Can you please add this feature for the outright purchased editions. I really do need it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Multiple O365 accounts and Excel 15 for MacOS

I have two Office365 accounts (one for work and one for family) but I am punished for being a good Microsoft customer with a non-functioning sign in mechanism. Every time I open a document stored in an O365 Sharepoint I am forced to sign in at least twice before the document opens. Even worse, at no point in the Sign-in process is any indication given which account you should be signing into, it is assumed that you remember which account the document was stored in; this does not sound like a product that is making life easier. I am…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow for full-functioning charts to be built from pivot tables

This used to be a feature on past versions of excel, where you could select data in a pivot table and create a chart from it that is fully customizable. Now, if you create a chart from a pivot table set of data, the "chart design" tab does not show and it limits the abilities to customize the chart effectively.

Can we get this back, please?

Original issue is here, along with specifics https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/chart-design-tab-is-now-missing-on-excel-for-mac/919fea2d-b7b9-4a42-aa1e-25b0550ccbc4?messageId=4c949783-8231-4fc8-b868-e4fdee27ba76

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base