Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Flip feature in Excel filter

There is no way to flip the filter condition selected for a column.

Ex. If I have selected 3 conditions for filter out of total 10 there is no easy way to select the remaining 7 without unchecking the 3 and then selecting the 7. It would be great if we can have a flip feature included

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel Uses Incorrect Cursor On Mac

Please make Excel use the proper carson on the Mac. Here is a video:

https://gfycat.com/SadPettyKitten

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix ColorIndex 22 on Excel for Mac

On Excel for Mac Version 15.22, ColorIndex = 22 should be a reddish-pink color, but instead it appears orange. This happens when I use a macro to color the cell myself, or when I open a spreadsheet that has already been colored with this ColorIndex.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Double clicking a cell with a formula to view the cells in use

When I double click a cell with a formula in it in order to view which cells i've use in the formula, there is major lag in the highlighting of these cells if you must scroll horizontally to view them. I scroll several columns out of view to see the cells in use and I have to wait for SECONDS before the highlights appear. If you scroll around at all after the highlights appear, they disappear. This is extremely frustrating and wasn't a problem in the old version. This was instantaneous. Please let me know if this is a setting…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Myriad Pro italic font formatting issues

I just updated to El Capitan and now when changing Myriad Pro font from regular to italic, the formatting of the cell is all messed up. I've so far only noticed it on this one font.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow edit mode in 'Change PivotTable date source' Location box

In Excel for windows, when changing the datasource location for pivot tables, you can use F2 to switch to edit mode and move the cursor around the location box to type the datasource location.

There doesn't appear to be an equivalent edit mode for this dialog box (and presumably others where F2 works in windows Excel) on Excel for Mac.

This is infuriating - it is often much quicker just to amend the data source location by typing rather than selecting cells. The only solution I've found is to highlight all the text in the location box, paste it to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. EXCEL for MAC

Bonjour.
    Apparemment la fonctionalité suivante n'existe pas dans la version MAC et c'est bien dommage:
    "Evaluation de formule" dans Excel pour Mac 2011 qui, d'après l'ouvrage de Faïza Moumen Piasco, "Gestion Comptable avec Excel", éditions Eni,,2012 se trouve dans l'onglet Formule > Audit de formules > Evaluation de Formules et qui permet d'évaluer les formules imbriquées au fur et à mesure en soulignant chaque fois l'élément sur lequel il travaille. C'est un outil bien plus élaboré que l'outil de recherche des antécédents et très utile !

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Colorize the chevron above a filtered list

Colorize the chevron above a filtered column. It would be helpful if the filter box / icon at the top of a column changed color when a filter has been applied. When dealing with many columns, it would help to visually identify which data has been filtered.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Charts in Excel 2011 are pixelated

Charts made in Excel 2007 have a crisp graphic. Its easy to export to Adobe and they remain editable. In Excel 2011 the markers are blurred when printed or exported.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Interlinking worksheet hyperlinks in spreadsheet to work in offline mode not only in browser

Currently opening a spreadsheet from Sharepoint online and editing locally/offline, hyperlinks interlinking to other worksheets in the same spreadsheet will not work; i.e. a hyperlink in sheet 1opening sheet 2 or 3 or 4 directly to navigate to other spreadsheet locations will not open that spreadsheet location in offline mode. It appears that it attempts to contact the Sharepoint server to look for the local/offline mode worksheet address location in the spreadsheet and cannot resolve it, so nothing happens. Can this issue be remedied in a future release?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Upward Search/Find

If you're at a specific cell in a workbook, the current Find functionality (command-F) only allows you to search downward, to the NEXT cell that matches the value. I frequently need to search UP to find the PREVIOUS cell that matches that value, and there seems to be no such function. In a program as mature as Excel, this lack of basic functionality seems rather idiotic, and downright lame. I think you even used to have it, many years ago, and then got rid of it in a flash of lunacy. A simple checkbox in the search dialogue box that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I need to be able to include an image/picture/graph -inside- a cell, as cell content and filetype.

This I need so very often! And so great features would be possible.
    Just to name the most obvious, a sortable list, where one column is for representative images. It would be sortable by the other columns and resize the cells accordingly.

I know, that pictures are linked with their left top pixel to the respective cell, but that is way too less to be feasible for all the necessary applications.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. File backup is faulty. I have an continuous use file and if the program glitches it restores older files no matter how much I back things up

Need more recent backup checks. For some reason backup restoration is approximately a day lag. And I see others are suffering similar problems. The older version was not a problem, this one is.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Show number of cells selected

I would like the screen to somewhere show a readout of how many cells are selected. Whether I'm selecting a group of cells to either paste to, or copy from (or even just select to get a manual count, without copying or pasting), I'm amazed that a program as mature as Excel does not have the simple, basic functionality of showing how many cells are selected. Please implement this!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Why can I open excel but not office?

Office 365 is really awful, and I don't know how to get a standalone version again. Crashing often. Right now I cannot get back into my office after crashing, but excel and powerpoint are still open? I've reset my password twice, nothing works. Really really really don't like the new format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. View (All) option (like Word) to see all white-space characters, training spaces, new-lines, etc.

Given how single trailing spaces can disrupt smooth functioning of functions, especially like VLOOKUP, it would be wonderful to have an option to display spaces, new-lines (and indeed anything else that can contribute to "hidden" white-space) just like we have been able to see in Word as an option for, ooh, about a century (or at least since the beginning of time).
    At the same time, and in the same mode, a distinctive background shading or similar of numbers-stored-as-text — another huge time waster and caltrop for the novice, and even not-so-novice users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix Hyperlinks in Excel 2016 - Unable to use to navigate around workboks

I created a link in my workbook to another tab in the same workbook using the CTRL-K feature. However, when I click on the link, it always asks if I want to open a workbook from my d.docs.live.net server, which is OneDrive. This is a OneDrive 365 account.

I've removed and readded the hyperlink with the same results. It

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Customization of status bar (show multiple aggregates - SUM, COUNT, MIN, MAX, etc) like Windows Excel

In Excel for Windows the status bar can show multiple information of the selected cells (sum, count, min, max etc.), which is extremely useful. This feature would be nice to have in Excel for Mac as well.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. autosave

My auto save was on and set for to save every 10 minutes I saved a excel file myself about 2 weeks ago and opened it up to work on it today I had been working on it and creating multiple graphs that I needed for an assignment for hours then all of the sudden excel quit on it own and didn't give me an option to save my work it did pop up with a message to send to error to mac so I clicked send when I reopened excel it only had the file I saved two weeks…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Find & Replace - Look In Dropdown Missing

Please bring the Find & Replace Windows Functionality to the Mac version. You can't Find & Replace items in Formulas.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base