Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. What is with the "Read Only" Files?

Keep getting a message that my spread sheet is a "read only" file. I have used excel for 20+ years and have never seen so many convoluted errors. I am the ONLY one who uses my computer - what am I missing here. Wow so tired of the conflicts between nazi Apple computers and Excel. Do you really have no use for Apple clients? Please put the control back in the program and stop trying to manipulate our documents. I DON'T WHAT YOU KEEPING MY DOCUMENTS ONLINE NOR WILL I EVER!! Leave me alone.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel for Mac won'ty shoe the sum, average, count, etc all at the same time, SO SAD AND UNHELPFUL!!!

Fix this, if Windows can do something so simple why can't Mac?!?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. STUPID EXCEL GO TO ****!!!! I worked for 3 hours and now i cant find (I SAVED IT 10 TIMES)

STUPID EXCEL GO TO ****!!!! I worked for 3 hours and now i cant find (I SAVED IT 10 TIMES)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Auto file backup

Prior to 2016, there exist an option set "Auto file backup". When I recently upgraded to 2016, this file backup feature has disappeared. Please bring it back as this is so vital for protecting previous work if I wanted to go back to the previous

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel Solver

A Life saver of an ADD-IN. It's like --- why even bother using excel without it?

. And Yet. Why can't I just solve multiple iterations of a column of say 10 different cells I want to solve using the same solution?

I can't -- unless I go to PC. write some ugly looking VB code... put some ridiculously ugly looking button on my spreadsheet.. which works for maybe 1 out of 5 people i'll send the XLSM file too.

Excel is the one product i paid the office license for --- it's still a decent workhorse. But don't you…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove the Alert message for Trace Precedents/Dependents

Please consider removing the Alert message when using the Trace commands which are activated when there are no precedents or dependents for the cell in question. In my previous Excel version, I get a sound to indicate there are no precedents or dependents and can immediately move on. When troubleshooting large spreadsheets in Excel 2016 it is very annoying to receive that Alert every time and requires doubling up mouse clicks to get rid of the alert. It is very inefficient and time consuming if one is troubleshooting a large workbook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. It is not possible to select big parts of the excel files on Excel online (drag down or side)

In Excel online, I need to select data which are not on the screen but further down or to the right part of my file. In the normal Excel, this is easy to do by just holding down the trackpad (Mac) and select big areas while the file moves around. In the Excel file, the screen seems frozen and it is impossible to select big parts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Zip and Unzip

Hi, After I updated my MacOS to Sierra, I noticed that changing the extension of an "xlsx" or "docx" file to "zip" and then trying to unzip it doesn't work anymore (generates a cpgz file and thus a loop of zip and cpgz). I have the latest office updates. Office version - 15.30.
    Is there some compatibility issue?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow different view options (list, columns etc) for Opening Recent Files

Allow different view options (list, columns etc) for Opening Recent Files

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Display two worksheets at once

Allow two worksheets to display at the same time to expedite copy/paste from one worksheet to another. It would also help setting cell links for form controls.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Worksheet Tab Editing Issue

When double clicking a worksheet tab and edit it, upon pressing enter you cannot resume in the worksheet until you actually click in the worksheet itself then the cursor will become active. This is not correct behavior. After pressing enter in the sheet tab, the worksheet the cursor should automatically be movable without having to click the worksheet after pressing enter. Please fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Formatting cells using the format dialog box.

The way it's supposed to work doesn't happen. Each cell when selected afterwards reverts to something other than what was selected in the format cells dialog box. The only way I got a string of cells to change the cell format is to copy and paste special (format). I tried to change the format into a General number and each cell when selected later reverted to Time which was the original use of the cells. The cells were not locked.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Vertical Toolbar

I am used to having the Excel spreadsheet toolbar on the right and vertical. It is much easier to read and to access than the horizontal ribbon across the top. Sections not in use can be closed to one line.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Lousy function commands for Excel 2011

The function command keeps failing every time you try to insert a function excel closes and above all it doesn't even recover the document, gives you a very early version ....please fix it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Inserting photo from file should default to previously selected file location

Insert photo should revert to the last used file location, not the Documents file. Every time I want to insert a photo I have to click through about 10 menus to get to the relevant folder, this is extremely annoying! On my previous PC it would revert to last selected folder.
    Also it should be possible for multiple image files to be inserted in one click. On a PC these would just be cascaded into the selected cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. EXTERNAL LINKs

PLEASE PLEASE, FIX THE EXTERNAL LINK ISSUE. I'M TRYING TO BREAK A LINK BUT THE ACTION IS NOT TAKEN EFFECT.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I am learning Excel and in all training i find just how to use excel in little steps, not a explanation how it works

I am learning Excel and in all training i find just how to use excel in little steps, not a explanation how it works in general. There seems to be a basic structure in which data and text are filled, but then there are elements like chart and graphics on this and they can be arranged to look nice.
    But at the end I need a good layout ore printout, its not clear how this works from explanation of little steps. So i miss explanation how to come from "numbers" to representation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. BUG(s) in Excel 2011

OFFICE 2011: I have reported this bug NUMEROUS times!!! Comments end up ALL OVER THE PLACE (i.e. a 1000 - YES!! - rows beneith the actual cell where it's inserted) if a document is closed and then opened again. This is VERY annoying since not only that the comment may end up VERY far away but it's also lost its size and often has shrunk to a thin line (which is VERY difficult to resize). (The bug that text cannot be pasted into the search field still aint fixed!)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base