Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Import CSV with multi-line text cells

Importing of CSV files which contain multi-line values (line breaks in the text cells) is not possible using the "File" - "Import" wizard. It is however possible if all options (field delimiter and text qualifier) match the system's defaults to import such files by double clicking the CSV. Please fix the Import wizard to allow multi-line text while customising the delimiters.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Put Ribbon Icons/Controls back to previous release size!

release 16.9 has slightly larger icons and controls in the ribbon making it larger (taking more vertical screen space. No good reason for this and we don't all have 42" screens - so put it back how it was and restore the previous icon size.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow exporting of Sharepoint lists

It would be great if you could export a Sharepoint list to Excel for Mac. At present you have to use Excel on a PC - as I believe this requires some kind of ActiveX component.

239 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes. We will continue to monitor the votes to help prioritize this along with other data connection requests. You may want to add a comment about connecting to SharePoint in the thread discussing PowerQuery.

Steve K [MS Excel]

4. Typing Becomes slow when Freeze some area or Add comments for a cell.

The typing becomes slow when Freeze a row or Add comments for a cell, especially in larger file. (Excel for mac, version 15.40)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Conditional format date-range option

The conditional format date options are too limited. When working with historical data - even last year's tax! - you may want to highlight dates that fall outside that tax year, for example. There is no simple way to set that range of dates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. First Comment Keystroke Not Recorded

When creating a new worksheet cell comment or editing an existing one, Excel 2016 (Office 366) fails to recognize and record the first key stroke which, in turn, forces the user to go back to the beginning of the comment and add that missing first character.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. conditional formatting in pivot table - widget

In windows you get a little widget to select data and ignore sub-totals or totals in a pivot table, so you can add conditional formatting... the little widget does not pop up in Excel for Mac - can we add this in?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Solve the problem of poor Cross-platform

Excel online, Excel 365 for Mac, Excel 365 for Windows - different products. If I made a file on windows - it will not work on the Mac either.
    Excel 365 for Mac does not have charts from Excel 365 for Windows. If I create a file in the Pro version, then it does not work in the home version. This is bad! The file is everywhere different! I can not be sure that my project looks equally good everywhere.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Not working anymore the shift+cmd+* shortcut!!

Hi!

Could you please help me with the following issue related to this post?
    I have Excel 2016 in a Mac and previously I was using the following shortcut to select ONLY VISIBLE ROWS from filtered data:

SHIFT + CMD + *

After that I could copy the data and will copy only the visible information and not the hidden information, or I could delete only the visible rows without deleting the hidden ones.

But a month or so ago after an update I cannot longer do that and when I do SHIFT + CMD + * what it does…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Latest fast build crashes during launch

Excel will not open. Attached screenshots. Have restarted, force quit, and the like. Signed out/in. Excel always crashes on start.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Reduce Font Duplication

I have just found that Microsoft in its wisdom has decided not to use the standard fonts localities for Mac OS but has decided to store the fonts for Office elsewhere, but even better, has decided to duplicate the fonts for each Office application.

Each 2016 Office for Mac application stores its fonts in the application package, i.e. Microsoft Excel.app sores its fonts in Contents > Resources > Fonts, as do all of the Office applications with each application having its own copy of the fonts it needs. Therefore, Word has 485.7 MB, Excel 483.7 MB, OneNote 289.1 MB, OutLook…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Conditional formatting - Apply to named ranges

Currently if you apply conditional formatting to a named range (i.e. a range named via the Name Manager or a table style named-range), the value in the "Applies to" column of the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager will immediately revert the named range to its absolute cell reference.

eg. "Applies to: =Table1[Column3]" becomes "Applies to: =$C$2:$C$7".

Apart from being more difficult to read, it creates other complexities. For example, if I insert a new column into this range, it creates a mess in the rules manager, creating a new rule for each cell pasted.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Match Destination Format

In Preferences, allow for Match Destination Formatting as a default. Currently you can only do this by manually going to the Home>Paste area.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. A way to lock a Worksheet tab so that tab stay's visible at the left side of the tabbar all the time

A way to lock a Worksheet tab so that tab stay's visible at the left side of the tabbar all the time.
    If we have 10+ tabs, and we want go quickly switch to an important tab, like a total Worksheet or TOC tab, it would be welcome to have an tab that is fixed in place on the left side of the tabbar, that will not moved away when we are on a tab far on the right.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable functions across Excel for PC and Mac

1. Ribbon for Excel

2. Sunburst charts and Tree graphs - every graphic that can be done using PC but not Excel for Mac

3. Interpolation

4. Function keys

5. Thousands more examples

6. If Microsoft intends to keep Office for Mac and Excel for Mac a vastly inferior product than Office/Excel for PC, the company should own that and adjust both pricing and expectations.

7. Also, produce a usable document which clearly documents all omitted features so users don't waste time learning to use a new feature only to discover separately Microsoft's profit-driven decision to ignore the customer needs.

8. User experience research is not new. Microsoft…
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow search in slicer

Allow search in slicer

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. auto recovery and everything else.

Auto recovery never works. Since this awful version of Excel (now on 15.39) crashes frequently, I am losing work too many times. Not once have I been able to recover a file after a crash. The autorecovery directory is always empty. I think I'm done with this. In a real attempt to post positive feedback to improve the OFFICE 2016 programs, not one of my suggestions, often supported by dozens of other users, have been acted on. Microsoft clearly has no interest in supporting the MAC version of Office. It's a disgrace that a company with such a global monopoly…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix Solver Solving Method drop down in Mac Excel 2016

The drop down for select Solving Method in Solver does not work in Mac Excel 2016. Nothing happens when one clicks to reveal the drop down menu.

One can select an alternate solving method via the arrow keys. Please fix the Solver drop down.

Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. After upgrade to Office 365, "cut and paste" does not work correctly.

In Excel 2011, if I cut or copied a cell to Clipboard and then inserted a row, I could paste the item in Clipboard into a new cell. With Office 365, if I cut or copy a cell and then do anything such as inserting a row, the Clipboard is erased. This is such a fundamental action in Excel - cutting and pasting - that the "improvement" should be undone. I'd like to know when this fix is accomplished. Thank you.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. restore option for column width dialogue box to display in inches as in Excel 15.31 and earlier

PLEASE restore option for column width dialogue box to display in inches as in Excel 15.31 and earlier

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base