Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Vote for an existing idea (134)
  • or
  1. We want more colors!!!

Custom color options for cells would be awesome for Excel online.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow customization of the ribbon without a 365 subsription.

Without a 365 subscription you cannot control the size of an image in a header. I placed a 1" high picture into the header and Excel automatically expanded the image to cover the entire document when printing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Return features from Office 2010

When copy and pasting, in Office 2010 you get a veriety of options when you right click, but in Excel 2016, it does not, you have to click on Paste Special and then choose from only 2 options! - Thos feature in excel 2010 is brilliant and gives so many useful options for paste special.
    In excel 2010, you can create your own personalised menu with shortcuts to the icons that you use most often... This I can not find how to do in 2016. It makes working in Excel so much easier and quicker.
    Unfortunately, I can not see…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Unresponsiveness in Excel for Mac

Using Excel for Mac (v16.9) on desktop from an Office 365 pkg (issues while working with local files - not online).

Sporadic issues:
    1. Can't select a cell using a mouse (periodically) - forced to navigate via keyboard arrows
    2. Selected cells (when copying) won't un-select even after saving or double clicking in another cell
    3. Drag and drop doesn't always work - sometimes due to lag times
    4. Lag times in responsiveness (overall)

I've read about these issues related to v15 and saw that they were reported as fixed in v15.20. Why am I still experiencing these issues? Could…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please, let us change the page size again to custom sizes!

I have to change the paper size to 90cm width, but obviously it isn't possible anymore in Excel 2016! How am I supposed to print my files now? The support assistant told me that it actually isn't possible, but sent me - as a workaround - a link to a forum entry where people were complaining about the lack of this feature... by the way, the workaround didn't work! ^^ People in the forum suggested using Numbers instead. As a matter of fact, I probably will have to do that as the quality of excel is getting worse and worse…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Condense the icon spacing on the Quick Access toolbar

I understand that while Excel 2016 has been upgraded to allow customization of the Quick Access toolbar, the icon spacing only allows about half the number as Excel 2011. A couple of months ago I cancelled my Office365 subscription after discovering that the Quick Access toolbar couldn't be customized. I won't be a subscriber until I learn that this productivity problem is solved.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. conditional number format

Restore the tab that give ability to change number format (currency symbol) in the custom format box when creating a conditional format formula

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Customizable Touchbar, Please!

The default settings for the touchbar are a good start, but these Mac's have been out for years - where's the ability to customize the touchbar?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Insert photos into comment box!!!

Not sure why this option isn't available, completely leaving your customer base out to hang with a feature I used when I had PC...

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Czech language support

Many customers in Czech Republic would love to see full Czech language support = localized interface and grammar check. Both features are available in Office for Windows

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Excel 16.8 not loading custom workbook and sheet templates in Startup folder

Since updating to 16.8, Excel does not open the template files in the Startup folder. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add design tab to Excel for Mac

Add design tab to Excel for Mac so I can create custom color and font themes for my graphs so I don't have to re-enter the design elements for every single chart.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix, remove, or allow users to disable the multicore implementation

Recently the Excel team has introduced an unfortunate attempt at multi-core processing that has rendered the product unusable for some customers. Please either roll this back, fix it, or simply allow users to disable the functionality!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix time formats and internationalization

Custom time formats are not working anymore

I have extensive data with sports related time data in the mm:ss.000 format. Recently all my excel sheets stopped working

Example.

Format cells A1:A3 custom format mm:ss.000
    A1: 1:12.123
    A2: 1.12.321
    A3: =A1+A2

On my mac running Sierra and latest Excel 2016 this shows #VALUE! in A3. The computer preferences region settings were set to Switzerland.

If I change to United States (computer) and close and reopen Excel then the A3 cell is working correctly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Scientific User Community - functional regression

Hello - I wanted to make the development team at Microsoft aware of an EXCEL use case that was once addressed in its design long ago, but has been lost. Many users in the scientific community use EXCEL to display and plot relatively large (~86000 rows) data sets. Here are the specifics, which are EXTREMELY VALUABLE to us in support of such work: (1) The ability to work with multiple windows open at the same time (like a dashboard). Current problems hindering this - The CLOSE command only closes one window, and causes loss of the arrangement of the others…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix 2011 Mac so numbers accept comma separators again

As of recent update version 14.6.9 (160926) there are no longer commas as 000's separators, vene though the formatting screen has a button to do so and custom formats show commas - but none are inserted. As a professional accountant, this is unacceptable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel crashes and cells cannot be edited with High Sierra

Dear Excel team, this has been posted already and has 74 comments on it, but you closed it. The reason you are not seeing crash reports is because we have to kill the app and this doesn't seem to generate a crash report.

Issue is as described by 4 pages of comments, please reopen. If not then I have created this as a new issue.

If you attempt to double click in the cell or click in the function bar, then Excel freezes, by keeping the cursor in the cell and removing keyboard entry. Menu's stop working as well, the…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Multiple Series Histograms

Histograms that allow multiple series would be ideal (ie. in stacked form as well as side-by-side comparison). The current solution (as far as I know) is to custom-make it with bar charts. A large part of the statistical analysis I do requires distinct series being compared.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Post a list of the improvements and fixes currently under development

It would be helpful to your customers to be able to see what issues are being worked on and what issues are slated for future fix/implementation. That should include a current estimate of delivery time.

I sense a lot of frustration on these pages. Having this method of providing you with our feedback helps, but only if you provide meaningful responses about what you plan to address. Black holes do not engender customer loyalty or appreciation.

You are doing a much better job of providing feedback than your counterpart on the Word team. That is very appreciated. A…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix Unacceptable # of Bugs, make VBA Usable & Add Hot Keys

First, the number of basic bugs in unacceptable for a product that's been the market for well over a year. Often I type characters in cell and hit Enter yet the cell is blank. I scroll up and then down, and at that point, I see the that previously blank cell is now populated with the characters I had entered. This is unacceptable. When I freeze panes, the top row appears to have been duplicated but if I scroll up and then down, duplicated row disappears. So many different types of bugs that remedied by scrolling up and then down.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base