Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Preserve conditional formatting in Mac pivot table

Please add the conditional formatting "Apply Rule To" feature to Mac Excel. This is already in Windows. It is insanely frustrating that I need to re-apply the conditional formatting to every column every time I expand a pivot table or add data or really do anything to the pivot table. Thank you.

Also discussed here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-do-you-apply-conditional-formats-to-fields-in/7235070e-eeca-4b09-abd2-424e80333b06

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Refresh a power query

Allow Mac users to refresh a Power Query that gets files from a folder (and was created with windows).

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. possibility to assign a star to a file for quick access on the go (i.e. price lists for quick reference)

Often I need to open some specific files on the go for quick referencing like price lists and manuals. A similar function like the star in Adobe Acrobat that allows you to quickly open a starred file without digging into the directories. It will help improving the productivity.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. split cell feature

Please support split cell feature not just merge cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Calendar Week - Year into a dated format

Please make a format that helps excel recognize that calendar week and year put together is a dated format. It does not do that currently and won't sort properly into a pivot table --> chart. Currently a very manual process to move the individual pivot data one by one. I imagine it will be very helpful for KPIs in businesses across multiple industries.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Display the file name when working on a file

Display the file name when working on the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Don't use scientific notation for 13-digit numbers

13-digit ISBNs are widely used in the publishing and related industries. It is beyond frustrating that there is no option to set the default to storing and displaying numbers fully, rather than in scientific notation. If one is sent a CSV containing 13-digit ISBNs, opens the CSV then saves it again, they are corrupted and unusable. It is a bug, in my view!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Restore the "Do Not Open" button to "This workbook contains macros" warning dialog

In Excel 16.44 the only choices are "Enable Macros" and "Disable Macros". If the user has selected for loading the workbook that contains the macros by mistake, there is no longer an option to revoke the request. The user is forced to accept the load, and then close the workbook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Restore the "Do Not Open" button to "This workbook contains macros" warning dialog

In Excel 16.44 the only choices are "Enable Macros" and "Disable Macros". If the user has selected for loading the workbook that contains the macros by mistake, there is no longer an option to revoke the request. The user is forced to accept the load, and then close the workbook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. When you freeze panes within a workbook why cannot you not freeze multiple columns at a time?

I wanted to try to freeze column A but view B-S, then freeze T to then view this as three separate sections. It appears that this cannot be done in excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow 365 admin to enforce sign-on to open files from SharePoint or OneDrive

To increase security, it would be helpful if the admin of a 365 account could have users signed out after a certain period of inactivity, and require them to sign in before they use a SharePoint or OneDrive file locally on their computer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Filter funktion for all rows (instead of the first 10 000)

Today in the Mac version (16.44) the filtering funktion only reads the first 10 000 rows and there is nothing that give you a hint that this is the fact. (Sort funktion seems to work for at least 70K+ though). Please make this work or att least make the system tell you that the answer is wrong otherwise this can create gigantic problems......

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow customization of each tool bar.

Allow customization of each tool bar. I have a 13" laptop and typically I cannot see all the tools in the Home set and would like to hide the tools that I don't use so that I can see all those that I do use. The same would be helpful for all of the other sets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add print icon at top near shortcuts

print icon needs to be added like word has at top on shortcuts for user accessibility

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow restoring dos when reopening the app

As used to be the case with Ofice 2011, please allow all documents that were opened when quitting the app to be restored. It is extremely annoying the have to open each document separately, especially when there are so many updates that require quitting the app very often It is a major issue with version 16 (Office 2019?).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Power Query File ".iqy: is greyed out

When I want to do a Power Query in Excel for Mac, the URL needs to be saved as an "iqy" file. But this file is "greyed out" when I select "Get Data" and try to click on the file

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base