Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add webdav support

Hi,

I recently discovered that saving files to a webdav volume with Word, Excel or PowerPoint 2016 wouldn't work. I thought it was a bug and I opened a case at the support who explained to me that saving files to webdav volumes was not supported in Office for Mac 2016.

I think it would be a great feature to re-introduce webdav support in Office 2016 as it is a very good way to access your files from a network drive that works anyware, while keeping your content hosted corporately.

Best regards

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Opening and Saving Files...

is not allowed in the 2016 Excel for Mac and I'm not sure what happened. Whenever I open an Excel file on my laptop, it always defaults to "15 (read-only) and gets really annoying when I have to open the file, save as "15" or "Copy of 15" just to save it, delete my old file and rename the new file. I can't even save properly named files as a name other than the names listed above. I've strongly considered making the switch to Apple Numbers instead of constantly dealing with how annoying this process has become. Please fix.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Needed to fix copy paste the tables from excel to outlook

Needed to fix copy paste the tables from excel to outlook without border issue

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [num, txt, raw] = XLSREAD(filename.xlsx); should return equally-sized variables

NUM is a numerical array containing the numeric values from the spreadsheet. Super useful! Because it's numeric, non-numeric values need to be dealt with somehow, so they're converted to NaN. Also great! I can work with that!

Here's the problem: any non-numeric values on the exterior of the spreadsheet (or, equivalently, of RAW) are omitted instead of being converted to NaN. THIS RUINS EVERYTHING. Indexing become messy, messy guesswork, because NUM is a different size than TXT and RAW. Please just have the function return NaNs, so that NUM can be the same size as TXT and RAW.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sort Out Scroll Bars

Sort Out Scroll Bars. Version 15.14 sorted the "respect OSX scroll bar visibility setting", but they are still not initialising/positioning correctly. When visible all the time, often when you grab the vertical slider with the mouse, the worksheet will jump miles (and by that I mean a really really long way) from the current scroll position.

One aspect of the bug has been fixed, but there are still major problems.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. copy a table from Excel and paste it a Mail message keeping all original formats

with 2011 version I am obliged to copy a table from Excel and paste it to Word, then copy from Word to Mail, in order to keep all original formats. Very slow and frustrating procedure. I hope the 2016 Excel version allows direct copy/paste of a table from Excel to a Mail message with all its original formats.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Keep graph format the same when scrolling to other data

When I scroll down to a next set of data to produce line graphs for several items, the format of lines and markers changes, which I do not want (the idea is to produce multiple graphs with identical formats). I can overcome this by copying the graph- paste special-format (onto this graph) before I start scrolling, but I have to do this again each time I re-open the excel file. Very annoying.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow two open spreadsheets to share a search term

In my previous version of Excel (Excel for Mac 2011), if I had two different spreadsheets open at the same time, and typed something in the search box for one spreadsheet, when I finished that search, all I had to do was click anywhere in the second spreadsheet and my search string would magically appear in the search box in the second spreadsheet! I loved that & it saved me time. I didn't purposely set it up that way & don't know if it was a built-in feature or not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make opening files from disk as fluid as opening from OneDrive

Opening from disk takes longer than opening from OneDrive

That's a really cheesy move to increase OneDrive usage, please stop it

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Signature line needed in Excel 2016 for MAC

I have several customers that would like to see the Signature line functionality that is available in the Windows version, also become available in the MAC version. This is needed for a variety of reasons, but the number 1 reason I hear, is so they can have employees 'sign off' on their timesheets, without having to print them or export to PDF. They have also called it 'Inking', where you can sign off with your fingertip.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Paste a PDF-File in an Excel-Sheet

Paste a PDF-File in an Excel-Sheet with menu Paste/Text/Object like Office for Windows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Regression Data Must Be In Columns

Regression models generated from data in rows are incorrect. Additional independent variables are added with zeros for there parameters. The last two independent variables are populated incorrectly. To get a correct regression model solution I must arrange the data in columns.

Same thing happens with Excel 2015 for Windows. Data must be in columns. This was not the case with the previous release of Excel 2013.

It is a real pain to have copy and transpose the data into columns to get the correct regression model.

What will it take to get this fixed?

Donald Barar

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Handoff

You should add handoff support for both word, excel, powerpoint and outlook on mac and iOS.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Distribute Office 2016 apps via the Mac App Store

Receiving updates would be easier avoiding the malfunctions of the AutoUpdate app.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Function highlighting in formula bar

Additional to
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/9580005-adjust-font-size-of-formula-bar

Syntax coloring / Highlighting would be of great use.

One should be able to toggle different highlighting (applying a colored background to certain parts of the expression) modes for the function bar.

For instance:
    – a mode that highlights the current function
    – a mode that highlights all functions in different colors

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Just One opening/start Dialog And my Own Cloud service and one more thing...

Hi,
    1.) When opening Excel, you get the nice, open/recent/new dialog, ( Okay, its is New, recent then Open ;p ) then f.e. you choose open, then you got two choices OneDrive and On My Mac. If we choose MyMac then it close the dialog and then wait, wait, it opens a new file browser. Why?, why not open the file browser in the dialog itself? Much more smooth and logical.
    2) Would be nice if we could add( or an API for developers to write other or our own cloud services at the top left icon.
    3) Please give…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Don't show the return key in the formula bar/field.

When you select a cell inside a table end the header does have a Return character, then you wont see the whole formula in the formula bar. Why? Why do we have to enlarge the formula bar downwards to see the whole formula. I have one table header which got 4 returns to have a nice layout, but when selectin a cell underneat, it looks terrible in the formula field or bar.
    Its also confusing,
    Thank you.

Prio 1. Fixed in next version would be great.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Czech language support

Many customers in Czech Republic would love to see full Czech language support = localized interface and grammar check. Both features are available in Office for Windows

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Odd Clipboard Behavior

I use TextExpander from Smile Software to do nearly everything on my Mac both personally and professionally. Currently, Excel is doing something that prevents TextExpander from accessing the clipboard the way it has in the past.

I can use TE in Excel just fine until I copy something to the clipboard from Excel. At that point, TE stops working correctly. This is fixed by quitting and restarting Excel. I would consider this a bug, and it certainly ruins most of my Excel-related workflows.
    I post this here in the hopes that somebody at MS sees it or that some helpful…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Asian fonts inconsistent in sheet name tabs on redraw

There seems to be a problem with the display of Asian fonts.

When I first type the names of the sheets, it works perfectly and displays with the expected font:
    http://i.imgur.com/AXxAqN5.png

When I change something in one of the sheets, however, and the names of the sheets are redrawn, the font for the Japanese and Chinese characters becomes bolder and harder to read, while the Korean script simply doesn't display at all:
    http://i.imgur.com/wGHWQsl.png

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base