Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Vote for an existing idea (134)
  • or
  1. Include Ribbon customizing for Macs - like you pretend is available when bought!!!!

In the online statement AND help, Microsoft states that ribbon customizing is available for Macs - BUT, IT IS NOT!!! a disservice to Mac users - include it or don't tell us its available!!!
    Found this out after HOURS with tech support!!!
    Would like to add curse words here!!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel Preview on Mac

The Excel Mac preview is very small. This is unlike a PC where the image is much larger and easier to read. Also, there is no preview shortcut on the tool bar.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reinstate the user's ability to customize the print area by manually moving the dotted lines that show the page delineations.

Reinstate the user's ability to customize the print area by manually moving the dotted lines that show the page delineations.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Direct Paste Value (Text)

with Excel for Windows there is a Right click past as 'text' option which was super helpful when when building price lists for example where you grabbing data from various sources and wanting to pate unformatted text or pase while not messing with the existing cell formatting. Need a paste as text shortcut or Right click pate text option. Mac does have a default Paste as text shortcut (Shift ALT Apple Key V) but the combo is not friendly,

Right now you have to choose Paste Special, Value which is time consuming if you doing it allot.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bring back the AppleScript menu

It's easier to use the AppleScript menu than the Services menu to make shortcuts to the scripts. Script also starts up faster in AppleScript menu then in the Services menu. This is important when scripts are used in editing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix ridiculous editing bugs in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 Mac is a mess.

Besides the ugly cartoon-like interface of all of Office 2016 (which obviously nothing can be done about now), it has some serious bugs. (Oh, and thanks for messing up so many of the keyboard shortcuts I learned for 2011).

Select all: Command-A doesn't work if there is an embedded picture/image in the worksheet. Instead, it invokes some kind of 'picture format' toolbar (or ruler - whatever...) item.

Edit in cell: completely unreliable to try and select contents of cell for editing (either in whole or in part. Sometimes in works, sometimes it doesn't. I've…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cannot paste into field in UserForm when displayed on Mac in Excel 2016

Context: A spreadsheet with a macro created on a PC with a UserForm.
    When run on a PC, the user can copy and paste values into the form fields (in our case, a long URL). When run on a Mac, the Paste command is unavailable, both from menus, context menus and the keyboard.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix click-drag to select cells in Mac

I can't click-drag to select multiple cells with the mouse/trackpad. When trying to do so, it only selects the first cell I click. I can only select multiple cells with the keyboard. I am currently running version 15.25 (160719) - new install on a new Mac running OS X 10.11.6.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Tye,

This issue only repros on Macs with the new Tracpad (or new MBP with force touch).

We’ve fixed the issue in build 15.25 (160721) and later.

Until you get that build (you may be able to update to it now), the immediate workaround is todo the following:

1. Go to System preference→Track pad→
    2. Disable Force click and haptic feedback

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

9. Fix navigation arrows for worksheet tabs in full screen view

When using excel on a mac in full screen view the arrows that appear to the very left of the first tab name do not work. This is super frustrating when you are using workbooks with many tabs that overflow the width of the screen. Switching through them with keyboard shortcuts to get to a tab that is off screen is very tedious.
    This functionality returns in non-full screen views.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Select All ("cmd" + "a" shortcut) to select all of the text in a cell…

Can't believe this doesn't exist! Come on MS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Interrupt running macro

On Windows, Ctrl+Break can be used to interrompt a macro (for instance, stuck in an infinite loop).

Excel 2011 used to have this option too, via Cmd + .

However, this shortcut doesn't work on the latest versions of Excel for Ma and there is no way to interrupt a macro except than force quitting.

(Tested on 'classic' Excel 2016, and 'Mac App Store' edition of Excel 16.28).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix Format Cells shortcut (now it’s creating a new sheet instead of opening Format Cells)

Since the last update to Excel 16.10 (180210) used on macOS 10.11.6, when I use the Command+1 combination it creates a new sheet instead of opening the Format Cells dialog. I tried working with Microsoft Support by chat, but their solution of trashing the Excel plist did nothing.

This problem happens the first 6 or 10 times I use that key combination, but then it seems to revert back to normal operation until I close Excel. The next time I open Excel, the problem’s back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. customize excel default settings, e.g. for charts

hi! i want to suggest to you the implementation of a possibility to change excel default settings, e.g. for charts. i’ve talked to your friendly support team about one such example, but they couldn’t help me with something that’s not programmed.

i’m a chemist. like million other natural scientists, students and experts, i work with lots of complex and diverse data, every day. while the modern versions of excel offer many great and even fancy features, customization possibilities have shriveld. the template feature performs badly and really is only useful if applied to the exact same data set-up.
    what…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fill cells with a series by using the fill handle doesn't work since Update 15.35.0

Please excuse my poor english.
    In one of Your descriptions it is called

6. You can also specify the type of series by using the right mouse button to drag the fill handle over the range and then clicking the appropriate command on the shortcut menu.

but it doesn't work anymore since the last Update.
    If You do so, a new window is open.

You will see on the attached file.

I hope You would be able to recognise an fix it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. PivotTable

When I click into a PivotTable from out of it (just from out of it) or when I move the selected cell over a PivotTable and stop there in the moment the PivotTable Analyze and Design menus appear the keyboard arrows don't move anymore.

If I click again over any cell of the PivotTable (i.e., when the menus are already loaded) I can use the arrow keys - what I think should be done automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support MacOS Tabs

Make Excel look and behave like all the other apps I use on my Mac. So if I want multiple documents would open in tabs. Then the controls I can't perform with a shortcut will be in the same place on the screen all the time, not moving around in multiple windows or hidden in a narrow window somewhere.

Alternatively bring back the formatting palette and get rid of the clunky, infuriating ribbon, growing like a vile cancer on every document I have open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please add ALL of the functionality in Windows Excel and make Mac Excel to be the same

1. In Windows Excell you can search for data in one tab or in all tabs in the workbook.

In Mac Excel the functionality exists to search for the positioned to tab only.

To search all, user will have to select each tab and search on that tab.

If you have 255 tabs, you have to repeat that search 255 times.

That is an inconsistent functionality.

2. In Windows Excel, user can utilise keyboard to toggle between several open workbooks. In Mac excel, user cannot do same.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion. This request is already supported in Excel for Mac. You can search the workbook and if you click Next/Previous in the search field, it will take you to the sheets where the search result is found. You can also go to Edit > Find > Find…, and choose the option to find “Within” the workbook or the sheet.

With regard to switching between open workbooks, you can press CMD + ` (the key above the TAB key on US keyboard). This switches between windows in Excel.

Steve K [Microsoft Excel]

18. Edit cell shortcut should be one click of the "return/enter" key like Google Sheets - two clicks for next cell

Edit cell should be one click of the "return/enter" key like Google Sheets - two clicks for next cell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Be more forthcoming about the lack of parity with the Windows product in your online advertising

When I visited the Microsoft website trying to decide whether to update from an 11 year old application suite (Office 2008 for Mac), learn to use Apple's own suite of applications for the Mac (Numbers and Pages—I'm already competent in Keynote and have abandoned PowerPoint), I read things that intimate that Mac users are "getting some things first"; e.g., in Office 2019. It's not clear what we're getting other than a new moniker.
    It's certainly clear in my first day or two of my 30 day trial that much has changed, but when I try to delve a bit deeper…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back the old interface design and speed it up. ust moved from Office Mac 2011 to 2016 kicking and screaming, with the loss of the abil

ust moved from Office Mac 2011 to 2016 kicking and screaming, with the loss of the ability use keyboard rather than right click for inserting columns or rows. You can click "=3+3" with manually adding the + sign ...REALLY ?? Finally the whole suite is sludgy and SLOW... The tool bars are graphically hard to read compared to the old GUI. Not to mention you have to flip back and forth trying to find things that used to at your finger tips like the view screen or other frequently used things on laptops. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE! Does Microsoft test these things…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base