Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Vote for an existing idea (134)
  • or
  1. Excel for Mac 11 vs 16

I've been using office 11 as my major app at work and it was almost perfect until High Sierra. Easy customizable keyboard shortcuts, customizable toolbar and menu. User friendly VBA and merge with Word. A bit slow while filtering applied, but I could cope with that.
    After High Sierra came along, I switched to Office 16. Nothing to be customized, funky and very annoying animation when click on a cell and tonnes of bugs. VBA has some new limitations. Very inconvenient to use application, so I had to switch back to Office 11. It's working fine…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Customize Touch Bar

Please add the option to "Customize Touch Bar" for MacBook Pro's. It's usually found under "View" in just about any other application, but unfortunately not within Microsoft Office products.
    While Excel does have a set of standardized Touch Bar buttons, you can't change them to what you might use most often, rendering it fairly useless.
    Apple has had a Touch Bar feature since 2016 so it's not exactly a new feature. I understand that Apple is a competitor, but please put the "Customize Touch Bar" feature into your products!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Port the custom theme editor from Windows

On the Windows version of Office 2016, I can create custom color and font themes. On the Mac version, there is no editor to do this. If I manage to install a custom theme (e.g. migrating it from Windows), then I can select it, but I can't edit it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Toolbar / Ribbon customization

the possibility to customize the toolbar or ribbon and adding custom buttons that start macros is vital for a efficient workflow when processing big amount of data tables.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

June 16, 2016
    Great news, with Mac Excel 15.23 you can now customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) and Ribbon. This version started rolling out on June 14th, so look for an update if you don’t have it already.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3165798

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

Oct 31, 2015———————
    Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now.

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add customized footer for each page

I would like to enter a customized footer for each excel sheet that I print. For example page 1 footer is different that page 2 but I still able to keep the feature of all of them having a consistent page number.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Floating, reshapeable, self-customized command toolbars

Along with Styles, the FLOATING, SELF-CUSTOMIZED TOOLBARS in Word and Excel were among their most valuable features. Performing the usual functions without *immediate* visual, local access to numerous commands--and, instead, having to go to fantastically time-and-energy wasting pull-down menus, or dreary, multiple tab accessed toolbars anchored at the top of the page--is pathetically absurd. (Just a few examples among maybe 100: in Excel the 4 command icons for Insert Rows and Columns, print area, wrap-text or not. In Word, the several icons for creating or deleting specific borders in tables for cells, columns, and rows.) It would be…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Navigation of Tabs - Use Ctrl+Tab to tab between Sheets

Is it possible to use a simple key combination to switch tabs? Like <CMD><TAB> to switch between windows... Maybe make it an option to change the <CTRL><TAB> function which switches through worksheets. When I'm in a single worksheet I often want to <TAB> through the tabs!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stop trying to sell, and support your customers.

How about actually forwarding your customers to a helpful site when they select the help tab? Instead it just goes to a marketing page to buy a different program.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Custom Data Labels for Scatter and Bubble graphs

Can you include the ability to apply custom data labels to scatter and bubble graphs, specifically the Label Option of "Value from Cells" that the Windows version has had since Excel 2013.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Touchbar "edit cell contents" shortcut

Please put a "edit cell contents" touchbar button roughly where F2 used to be. Would save me hours. Much more useful than the current "Paste" button.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Quick Access Toolbar icons don't match icons in the customization window

Please make the icons on the Quick Access Toolbar the same as when you select them from the Customization window.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Introduce an equivalent to F2 on PC to edit and F4 to make cell references absolute

Introduce a shortcut to make cell references absolute like F4 on PC version (F2 edit equivalent would be helpful too)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If a function key doesn’t work as you expect it to, press the FN key in addition to the function key. If you don’t want to press the FN key each time, you can change your Apple system preferences:

Go to Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard.

On the Keyboard tab, select the check box for Use all F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

14. make same function excel for mac and window users

Please make same function excel for mac and window users so that we could be easy to use and command or shortcut key also be same.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add customize color option to excel for mac to change color themes to set it as default

Add customize color option to excel for mac to change color themes to set it as default

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Touchbar absolute/relative formula shortcut (F4)

When entering a formula, please add a touchbar button (ideally around where F4 used to be) to toggle relative/absolute cell reference. Again, would be much simpler than pressing Fn + F4, which often doesn't work at the moment either.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add back the ability to select custom paper sizes

This is a regression from previous versions of Excel for mac. When doing page layout, it is a requirement for many users to be able to specify the paper size, regardless of what is currently made available by the printer driver. This was possible in previous versions of Excel, but now, the Page Layout / Size menu does not have a Custom option.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Export to CSV or TXT file using a custom or specific delimiter

Add the feature to export an excel file to a .CSV or .TXT file with custom/specific delimiters.

So if you want to create a pipe file, you can select the delimiter ( | ) and there you go, you have your pipe file from excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Need a way to enter the static date and time on the iPad in excel

Definitely need a way to enter the static date and time on the iPad in excel. There is no command or control button on the iPad keyboard

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base