Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel update 16.24.0 (19071500)

Excel update 16.24.0 (19071500) repeatedly comes up as the current update, installs successfully, but weekly it pops up as the current update that needs to be installed. No Word updates have appeared since this began about a month ago.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please add the support to insert files (objects) in the sheet

Please add the support to insert files (objects) in the sheet. Now if there is some object inserted the excel app does not autosave to O365.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Why is there no Menu item or Ribbon button for toggling between relative and absolute?

Yesterday, I spent a good 2 hours trying to change a table's references from relative to absolute. I couldn't find any Menu item or Ribbon button to perform this action, so had to resort to Google.

That lead me to the support.office.com page for Mac keyboard shortcuts (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Excel-for-Mac-acf5419e-1f87-444d-962f-4e951a658ccd), which told me that I could use CMD+T (which creates a table) or F4 (which is a Redo shortcut).

So I called 365 support, where I hand to help the agent understand how to use several aspects of Excel (nothing is more frustrating than talking to an "expert" who knows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. activate the metric ruler

Past excel programs, I've spent hours formatting precise guidelines for my calligraphy students in millimeters. But under this new Excel, I've lost all of that work. It has shifted the file into some unnamed unit, even though I've changed it to millimeters in my Preferences. Very frustrated that my previous formatting has been lost.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Switching from Excel 2011 to Excel 2016 - Need a migration guide for VBA. 2016 does not run my 2011 macros correctly.

There appear to be critical compatibility issues between 2011 and 2016 for Mac.
    I've written a lot personal finance code. I need to load externally generated tab separated data and expressions into excel cell ranges. I export named range tables so my external code can inter-operate with Excel 2011. The macros I wrote to do all this in Excel 2011 don't run correctly in Excel 2016. I need a comprehensive Macro/VBA migration guide. I can't switch to 2016 until these macros have been ported.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 8125001562

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. We need a manual sort option for Excel for Mac - where we can use a list

I find pivot tables are sometime a problem if I cannot sort the column headings properly or via a special list!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. allow open type fonts - switching from proportional to tabular number format

A number of user installed open type fonts have optional number spacing formats. It seems most however have proportional number spacing selected by default. This looks great in body text and other MS applications, but does not work well for Excel tables. Please look into providing an option to switch the default number spacing of open type fonts to tabular or monospaced. (I'm using Excel 2019 for Mac.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. XLSM files saved with Excel 365 for Mac cannot be opened with Excel 2016 (non-365)

XLSM file saved with Excel 365 for Mac cannot be opened with Excel 2016. If saved with Excel 365 for Win instead, file can be opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Invoicing using a hand held scanner so that we can add barcodes automatically

It would be excellent if we had facilities to scan a barcode from a hand held scanner in to an invoice

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Drag sheet to new book excel

Allow users to simply drag the sheet tab to another open Excel window to move the sheet to that book (Office 2019 MAC)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 210 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Line break in Excel for Mac

I have tried either "Control + Option + Return" or "Commant + Option + Return" but didn't work. Please consider this small thing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. No fixed headers in online view available.

in local version that works and is very helpful to navigate big sheets/WBs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please allow magnification not only of Sheets but also of the Formula Bar

Please find a way to enlarge text not only on Sheets but also in the Formula Bar. For we older peeps it can be very, very hard to squint at teeny weeny text…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Windows resize is too slow!

Resizing an Excel window, even if its totally and empty is extremely slow. The mouse cursor is way ahead of the resize. In fact all Office applications have this annoying problem. Others applications resize quite fast. Why Office can't?.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please supply us with a contact phone number for 365 for MAC EASILY found!

Please supply us with a contact phone number for 365 for MAC EASILY found! I had to literally dig for a while and still don't know if they know anything about 365 with a MAC. Your help features on line are only for Excel 2016. That does NOT help me with a MAC 365.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. In the recent update to excel 2019, the feature to format cells using find and replace has been removed. Please bring this back!

In the recent update to excel 2019, the feature to format cells using find and replace has been removed. Please bring this function back!!! If you have a list of thousands of numbers and you need to search out a specific number then you could replace the cell format with a background color to highlight the cell. Basically you could highlight all cells that contained the number you were "finding." Now this isn't possible and I have to sort throug thousands of numbers using the find next and getting out of the function, then highlighting, then moving on to the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bulk delete of recents in v16

It is ridiculous that bulk 'recents' cannot be removed from Excel for Mac v16. In a very productive environment, this is too time-consuming to remove them one by one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base