Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• or
  1. Restore Customize Keyboard to equivalent functionality as in 2011

2019 has restored Tools > Customize Keyboard..., but it's quite weak compared to 2011's. First, there's no All Commands category. While there is a search, it only searches the selected category (and there's no way to select multiple categories), so you have to enter the search term then click through every category manually, which is kind of insane. Next, many, if not most of the commands have a description that's the same as the name of the command. Why bother? Finally, numerous commands are missing, even though the underlying functionality is still there. My most missed is Paste…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. F11 shortcut for charts

Cannot understand why this shortcut is not included.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported, but you may need to change your Mac keyboard preferences so that F11 is not used by the Mac. Typically, pressing F11 will show the desktop on your Mac (it might be Fn+F11 depending on the state of your Fn key preference).

To use F11 for inserting a chart sheet, go to your Mac preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, and make sure that no commands are using F11 as the shortcut. You can either disable the command or you can set it to a different key.

3. Show ScreenTips shortcuts in Excel for MAC

The best way to learn shortcuts is with this kind of intuitive in-app tips.
    I'm really struggling searching for shortcuts on the web.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring back the "option-click" shortcut to insert column(s), row(s), or cell(s).

Please reinstate the option+click shortcut or at least a way to customize for it. It makes my work much easier and is the only reason I've yet to upgrade. Thanks a lot!

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Check/Uncheck Filter Items Shortcut

There is no shortcut to check/uncheck filter items in the dropdown for Mac.

Space bar or return do not work.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bring back CMD-F shortcut for find/replace

Please . . . bring back this shortcut! I use this frequently. It takes up valuable time to go about it the long way.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Mac numeric keyboard changing from dot to comma

Dear sir or madam,
    As soon as I upgraded to office 365 on my MAC, I have this really irritated problem:
    When I input numbers as accounting or currency in the sheet, I usually use the numeric keyboard (which is on the right side of the keyboard). Beforehand I use the dot (.) as the comma (,) in this numeric keyboard in the oud version excel (2011). But with the new excel 2016, the dot (.) appears to be the dot (.). So I have to use the comma key on the other side of the keyboard, which…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Not working anymore the shift+cmd+* shortcut!!

Hi!

Could you please help me with the following issue related to this post?
    I have Excel 2016 in a Mac and previously I was using the following shortcut to select ONLY VISIBLE ROWS from filtered data:

SHIFT + CMD + *

After that I could copy the data and will copy only the visible information and not the hidden information, or I could delete only the visible rows without deleting the hidden ones.

But a month or so ago after an update I cannot longer do that and when I do SHIFT + CMD + * what it does…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Office for Mac: Close window Don't Save needs keyboard command

To close without saving and keep hands on keyboard: Command W to close window, but then you have to use mouse to select Don't Save. Needs keystroke like D or Command D. Used to exist, but not now.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Most of the shortcuts that work in windows dosen't here.. Definitely one should start working on this...

the shortcut fn keys are not to be found..
    need some guidance tutorial to be prepared published for mac users...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. macro options...

If you select Tools - Macros - Macros... you get a list of macros. Select a macro and click Options... You're then presented with a box that allows you to set a Shortcut key. Either Option+Cmd (for a lower case letter) or Ctrl+Shift (for an upper case letter).

It doesn't matter what I enter into the little box. Nothing works. No letter, upper or lower case, seems to work.

Since generally keyboard shortcuts seem to be an issue has this ever worked?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. alt key for Excel in Windows shows the labels for the shortcuts found in the ribbon. Excel for Mac doesnt have this. Need it desperately

alt key for Excel in Windows shows the labels for the shortcuts found in the ribbon. Excel for Mac doesn't have this. Need it desperately

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. AutoSum Shft+Alt+T Bug

Can you please fix the auto sum keyboard shortcut Alt+T to behave like that of Excel 2011 and the Windows Version? It seems like the behavior is broken in Excel 2016. It sums a column of numbers way to fast and doesn't let you see the selection and then press enter to except it. Also, when summing from the side of a column, it does a fast 1 cell sum. In order to make this keyboard shortcut behave correctly you need to hold down Shift+Alt+T until the selection is paused so you can then hit enter or make an expanded…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Why is there no Menu item or Ribbon button for toggling between relative and absolute?

Yesterday, I spent a good 2 hours trying to change a table's references from relative to absolute. I couldn't find any Menu item or Ribbon button to perform this action, so had to resort to Google.

That lead me to the support.office.com page for Mac keyboard shortcuts (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Excel-for-Mac-acf5419e-1f87-444d-962f-4e951a658ccd), which told me that I could use CMD+T (which creates a table) or F4 (which is a Redo shortcut).

So I called 365 support, where I hand to help the agent understand how to use several aspects of Excel (nothing is more frustrating than talking to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. AutoFilter Spacebar Selector

Like in Windows, it would be much faster to use keyboard shortcuts for things like selecting items in the AutoFilter list (i.e. using the space bar). As of today, you cannot highlight and select different items in the filter list without the mouse. Also annoying, is the fact that selections are applied instantly, causing nonsense CPU work and worse yet the window shifts in view as calculations are running. Messy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Put the keyboard shortcuts for deletes back on? the ctrl-K and Ctrl-i (that italicizes everything)

We use Ctrl-K to delete an entire line and Ctrl-I inserted a line (copied or just a blank). Both of those are missing and we need them back desperately! Using ctrl-i just italicizes everything instead. Please put these back?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Delete command keystroke

One of the first customizations that I installed in past versions of Excel was to create a keystroke for the Delete command. I chose command-D.
    Now in the 2016 version I can't find a way to do this. Please give us keyboard customization, or add my command-D to the 'Delete...' menu command.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Navigating To The Next Worksheet After Editing A Worksheet Tab

When double clicking in a worksheet tab and editing its name etc.., after pressing enter the user cannon press Control or Alt +Pg up or down and move to the next sheet. The user MUST click in the worksheet 1st before using the keyboard shortcut to navigate to the next worksheet. This is not correct behavior and seems to be a bug. Does not work like this in Office 2011 or the Windows version. Can you please fix? Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Give customer service?

Some MS genius once said "I've got a great idea! Let's just cut all customer service to our paying customers and make them figure it out amongst themselves!"

What other industry does this? Market Cap for MSFT $1.31 trillion. God forbid they offer help to their buyers.
    How can you improve Excel for Mac? Don't be greedy, offer help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base