Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel Map Chart

States are not appearing in excel map chart for India

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. MAC Developer Tab > Export to XML

Please add EXPORT to XML feature to the Develop Tab for MAC. It appears to only be available for PC.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 188 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable Axis Format For New Chart Types in the Excel 2016 for Mac 16.9 Release

In Excel 2016 for Mac, new chart types were introduced, including Histogram, Tree Map, Sunburst and Box and Whisker. When attempting to format the X & Y Axes, either the Format box appeared with no parameters, or no Format box shows at all. This is critical, core functionality and is needed ASAP, for example a 16.10 update. With my specific case, /i was trying to adjust Bin parameters on a Histogram, and the Format Axis box never appeared.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – We are working to add the formatting capabilities for the new chart types. We’re hoping to release the update for this in June 2018.

We recognize there are currently some limitations with how you can use the chart types that have only recently been available in Excel for Mac, especially Histogram, and we are working hard to complete these.

5. The new comment threads, recently introduced in windows excel, are not compatible with the latest 2019/office 365 excel program.

Excel needs to be compatible between platforms. Unfortunately we are now experiencing data loss because of the approach Microsoft used to implement the threaded comments capability.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide data get and tranform including JSON to Excel transformation

This feature is provided with Windows Excel 2016 but not with Mac. Isn't it time to make the Mac software a first-class citizen with Microsoft. It seems like forever that Microsoft started supporting Mac Office, yet it still does not have all the features. Why not? I am paying you every month. Yet you still don't provide many advanced features. I will consider Pages then.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts

In this answer to "Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts" https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac?query=Bring%20back%20custom%20keyboard%20shortcuts the MS team states I can find the customization option under Tools > Customize Keyboard and links to this article to show how: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-custom-keyboard-shortcut-for-office-for-mac-6bbeb90e-96d9-4e03-b199-fc026ebdc321?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

This is NOT the case. There is no option for Customize Keyboard in the Tools menu in Excel 2016 for MAC. You guys blew it when you removed the ability of a user to create a custom key combo to complete a command.

For example I always used the F1 key to delete cells and rows, which I do a lot. I used Option+click to add…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Unable to create a Pivot table from multiple tables in Excel for Mac - seriously???

Create a pivot table from multiple tables (feature appears to be missing from Excel for Mac!)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel crashes and cells cannot be edited with High Sierra

Dear Excel team, this has been posted already and has 74 comments on it, but you closed it. The reason you are not seeing crash reports is because we have to kill the app and this doesn't seem to generate a crash report.

Issue is as described by 4 pages of comments, please reopen. If not then I have created this as a new issue.

If you attempt to double click in the cell or click in the function bar, then Excel freezes, by keeping the cursor in the cell and removing keyboard entry. Menu's stop working as well, the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Import XML into excel

I need to import a structured xml file into excel. The xml file contains elements which contain other elements. I'd be happy to define a mapping which would excel allow to know, which elements/attributes to put into which column. The File I'd like to import is attached. However, this is jus one example.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Need to fix how Excel for Mac 16.23 is causing multiple files to open upon startup.

Need to fix how Excel for Mac 16.23 does not shut down properly and that causes it to open multiple files upon startup. This would seem like it is an autorecovery issue but it is not because it still occurs even after all autorecovery files have been sent to trash. A simple internet search will confirm that this is a long-standing problem many have suffered and there is no methodology offered to fix it. Even reinstalling Excel does not correct the issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Be more forthcoming about the lack of parity with the Windows product in your online advertising

When I visited the Microsoft website trying to decide whether to update from an 11 year old application suite (Office 2008 for Mac), learn to use Apple's own suite of applications for the Mac (Numbers and Pages—I'm already competent in Keynote and have abandoned PowerPoint), I read things that intimate that Mac users are "getting some things first"; e.g., in Office 2019. It's not clear what we're getting other than a new moniker.
    It's certainly clear in my first day or two of my 30 day trial that much has changed, but when I try to delve a bit deeper…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. The latest excel for mac version took away the option in the insert tab to "Insert Comment". I phoned microsoft support and spoke with one

The latest excel for mac version took away the option in the insert tab to Insert Comment. I spoke with two microsoft support technicians and after they did a very diligent job of trying to find the Insert Comment option in the tool bar, the last technician advised me to report the problem to this site. I do not use a mouse so that option is not available to me. Please add the Insert Comment option back to the Insert tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Parse

I’d like to see a “parse” function that can easily separate out strings in cells and pull just one element instead of doing multiple mid() and find() functions. e.g. =PARSE(“Gift card from Company for $200”,4) would return “Company” or ,6 would return $200 etc. Maybe an optional parameter to specify the separators (sometimes it’s hyphens, sometimes spaces, sometimes bars etc). Another optional would be how many words to pull starting at word x, e.g. =PARSE(“This has useful data about product”,3,2) would return “useful data”

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bring filtering charts to Excel for Mac

Bring filtering charts to Excel for Mac.

I read about this feature here: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2014/02/04/filtering-charts-in-excel/

But I couldn't find how to use them in Excel for Mac (16.12).
    I found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/chart-filter/e5e49410-6ffc-499f-bdeb-e6f8a151bd4c which claims they are not supported. This would be a useful feature to bring Excel for Mac closer to Excel for Windows.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. In the recent update to excel 2019, the feature to format cells using find and replace has been removed. Please bring this back!

In the recent update to excel 2019, the feature to format cells using find and replace has been removed. Please bring this function back!!! If you have a list of thousands of numbers and you need to search out a specific number then you could replace the cell format with a background color to highlight the cell. Basically you could highlight all cells that contained the number you were "finding." Now this isn't possible and I have to sort throug thousands of numbers using the find next and getting out of the function, then highlighting, then moving on to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Character spacing issues when creating PDFs using Excel for Mac (16.16.10) When creating PDFs of charts from Excel for Mac 16.16.10, there i

see Pictures of
    1. EXCEL file : with normal spacing between characters
    2. PDF file (made out of the EXCEL file : with the inconsistent spacing between characters, which gives a unprofessional and blury image.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. it will be more convenient if Excel for Mac has the same import xml function as Windows version.

it will be more convenient if Excel for Mac has the same import xml function as Windows version.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Adding notes to formulas?

Formulas can get extremely messy with messy data. This is especially true when a formula is 10+ lines long. Often, re-reading a formula a few weeks later is absolutely indecipherable. Can we somehow be able to add notes to a formula, similiar to the ' in VBA?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base