Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Excessive use of memory even for simple operations

I have tried to isolate the issue, but I couldn't find one exact scenario that I can link to this problem: Excel starts using memory at galloping speed when doing simple operations such as remove or insert a row.

I am using a 2017 MacBook Pro 13, Macos High Sierra and I have the latest Office 2016 updates. I did a fresh install.

I suspected the conditional formatting is an issue (which it is another problem because you cannot format fonts on Mac). I removed all formatting, yet I have the same problem. It seems that Excel is using the…

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Very Slow when Calculating, Need Calculations much faster in bigger Workbooks.

I have several workbooks no bigger than 5mb. My workbooks can take up to 15min just to Caculate one change inside one of my worksheets. The workbooks open and save just fine, but when calculating, they slow tremendously. We need these to be much faster in the near future.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel 16.16 for Mac OSX High Sierra Crashing after opening

The update for Mac Excel v 16.16 issued 6/2818 is a disaster. All my Excel spreadsheets open then crash. I have no access to budgets or client worksheets. This is a major extremely serious issue that's affecting all accounting and other businesses. Microsoft has crashed all Mac OSX systems running this update. On the latest crash, I get a note to turn off sounds for Excel when you hit "save?" Who in the world is designing these updates, certainly not Mac oriented people. Please take the Microsoft brainwashed programmers of Mac Office. You are killing us. Fix this ASAP! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!…

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow the manual vs. automatic recalculation option at the workbook level

Sometimes I work with huge workbooks and sometimes I don't. I would like recalc to happen automatically in small workbooks and manually when working on the larger ones. It's annoying to toggle between those options. I would prefer that the option was set at the workbook level, so when I open that huge workbook it is already set to "Manual".

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix Excel or get out of the industry

Excel 2016 is just loaded with every bug known to IT plus some. What a joke. Never have I seen it been this bad. Please tell me what's a reliable working alternative to Excel because presently Excel next to useless on our Apple devices. How come it was passed for public release in this appalling state? It's just rubbish.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix cell selection misalignment (likely out of memory) issues on High Sierra

I have High Sierra and Excel version 16.14.1. The issue I describe below has been there in Sierra, and prior versions of Excel - at least last 6 months.

Basically, sometimes after just a few new entries, sometimes after multiple entries, I'm unable to select and enter data/edit the cell I want. The cursor lands on another cell, typically one or two above.

The only way to recover is to quit Excel, not just close and reopen file. That's why I think it's a memory leak...

The file is less then 200 rows with 15 columns. Most cells have a…

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Moving from one cell to the other to copy/paste takes WAY TOO LONG.

Improvement suggestion: get rid of whatever is causing the slowdown/bloat! Here's a screencast of me doing a normal routine: https://youtu.be/PHl88O2ym-c

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Restore the ability to automatically save a backup copy of a file when saving a file iN Excel 2016

In previous versions of Excel, the user had the capability under Save As to create a backup copy of a file that would be automatically backed up whenever a file was saved. It currently is functional in the last two versions of Word. Please restore this feature.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• stop the excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14

excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14 whenever an .xls file is downloaded from net or copied from one of the older system. this also prevents linking of dat in the file.

this is leading my entire organisation to ditch the office 365 and revert back to office 2013.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• spaces

Office for mac does not take into account the Finder spaces/desktop. When you switch from on space/desktop to the other one, the Office window follows...

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide the user with the capability to enlarge and bolden the command icons in the menu bar

The icon graphics for the command icons the menu bar in Excel 2016 for Mac are undersized and too faint

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• ADDING Individual cells

Office 2016 has ONCE AGAIN changed a 1-step process into a 2-step process.

BEFORE: If I wanted to add 4 individual cells ... I would click "=" and then click on each individual cell I was adding ... and then hit "enter" to get the total.

NOW: I have to hit the EXTRA KEY "+" before each of the 4 cells I select.

This is just another BACKWARD FEATURE of 2016 that was not required in previous versions.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• SUMMING - a real problem

To TOTAL a group of cells ... usually I would use "command+shift+T"

However, if there is not a number in a cell "above, below, right, left" of the cell I am trying to SUMM into ... it gives an error message that says there is a problem with the formula.

Often I want to SUMM something into a cell that is far away from the numbers I am summing.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Changing the decimal points for a full column

The increase / decrease decimal point buttons in the ribbon do nothing to change the number of decimal points for the entire column (when the column is selected)

THIS IS A MUST TO FIX

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• I received a notice Mac is going to update their software which will affect functionality of Excel, Word and other Microsoft Office programs

I recently received a notice when updating my Mac software that an upcoming OS update will cause functionality problems with Excel, Word and my other Microsoft Office programs. The notice indicated that it is currently 16 bit and will be upgrading to 32 bit and that my current Excel and other programs are 16 bit and therefore will have functionality problems. I rely on Excel and Word to record my medical issues for my doctor and have done so for years. It is vital that Excel and Word continue to function. What should I do? Can you help me?

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Common words in a column

Once again ... a 1-step process is now changed to a 2-step process

BEFORE: If I want to insert a word or phrase into a cell ... that has the same word or phrase in any one of the cells above it ... I could usually just type the first letter (lower case) and it would insert the word (capitalized) if the same words above it were capitalized (or give me all the words starting with that letter above it).

NOW: if I key in the first letter ... I have to make it a CAPITAL LETTER if I want…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Keystroke instead of Drop-Down Menu

Office 2016 FORCES us to now go to a Drop-Down Menu OFTEN ... when before the action could be done with a keystroke:

Examples:
                                          1) Command W ... to close a file ... now forces you to move your mouse cursor up to the blue word SAVE ... rather than simply hitting the letter "S" (which is right below the letter "W"). We should be able to hit the letter "D" for "DON'T SAVE" as well

2) BORDERS: I often use the "option+command +arrows" to provide borders. SOMETIMES IT WORKS ... Other times it does NOT WORK ... and I…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base