Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support SQL parameter queries

Parameter Query support is broken. Almost all our queries are parameter queries.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported. To use parameters in your SQL query, simply go to the properties for your connection, then click on the Definition tab. Then click Edit Query to open the query editor. In the editor, create your query and type ? where you want to use a parameter. When you click Return Data to go back to the properties dialog, the Parameters button should be enabled and you can click it to configure the parameters.

Here’s an example:
    SELECT * FROM ContosoRetailDW.dbo.DimEmployee
    WHERE FirstName like ?
    OR EmployeeKey>?;

When you look at the connection properties dialog and go to the Definition tab, you can click the Parameters button and set the parameters to refer to cells on the worksheet, as described here – https://support.office.com/article/customize-a-parameter-query-addf7cb7-ddf0-442f-a60c-cd7280e201bd#bm2

2. XY chart Labels

XY chart Labels for each point HAVE TO be an option from another range, not just the values

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Combination Charts

There is a difference in trying to create COMBO charts on the Mac. In windows, you can change the CHART TYPE and select Combo. In Mac you are unable to do that and have to follow a convoluted means to add a second axis. The windows version is very intuitive, Mac not so much.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestions and support for combo charts. You can create a wide variety of combo charts already on Mac, even if only a few are available on the menus.

Here’s how:
    1. Create any chart that shows 2 series of data, such as one of the Line charts or combo charts.
    2. Click on the series that you want to change to a different type, so that the series is highlighted.
    3. Click the Change Chart Type button and pick a new chart type.

The new type will only be applied to the selected series, so you end up with whatever combination you want.

Some chart types can’t be used in Combo charts, and you’ll see that if you pick one that won’t work. We will take this feedback into consideration and perhaps make combo charts easier to discover.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

4. F11 shortcut for charts

Cannot understand why this shortcut is not included.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported, but you may need to change your Mac keyboard preferences so that F11 is not used by the Mac. Typically, pressing F11 will show the desktop on your Mac (it might be Fn+F11 depending on the state of your Fn key preference).

To use F11 for inserting a chart sheet, go to your Mac preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, and make sure that no commands are using F11 as the shortcut. You can either disable the command or you can set it to a different key.

5. Joining top of graphs with a line

simple really ... i have a bar chart and i want a line which joins the top of all the bars.
    I click on the chart but i cannot figure out how to do this simple task. The Line icon in Chart Layout-Format is not highlighted. Double click chart does not reveal any options to join lines.
    simple - but cannot do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What you are looking for is called a “series lines”. These are only supported on stacked column and bar charts. To turn on the “series lines”, use the following steps.

1) click on the chart
    2) In the Design tab of the Chart tools, click on “Add Chart Element”
    3) Select “Lines” > “Series Lines”

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT[

6. Make Charting Easier!!

Do you know how you can toggle the way a function is locked by hitting Fn-F4, and A4 goes to $A$4, to A$4, to $A4, to A4 again? I want that kind of feature for charting!

So if I select two random columns and hit LINE GRAPH, Excel should give me a line graph quickly, then if I find the axes are wrong, I should be able to switch them by hitting FnF4, and then switch them again by hitting the same function again.

The same should be true of any other thpe of graph, I should be able to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to reorder chart series

In previous versions, you were able to rearrange the order in which series appeared in a chart or graph by reordering them in the "Select Data source" box. There doesn't appear to be a way to change the order of series without just recreating it in a different order.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Chart titles linked to spreadsheet cells

In the Excel for Mac 2011 version you could link a chart title to a spreadsheet cell. Chart title would update if content of spreadsheet changed. While this still works in existing files you cannot link chart titles in Excel for Mac 2016 to spreadsheet cells. – Pls enable again. Data input field is grayed out…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base