Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. On long spreadsheets, offer a popup that will automatically freeze the first column or row of data.

On long spreadsheets, offer a popup that will automatically freeze the first column or row of data for easier reader use. I'm a teacher and I use excel for everything and this option is not always available on shared files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please restore the Form feature to Excel 2016 for the Mac

Please restore the Form feature to Excel 2016 for the Mac

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. I need a way to insert multiple rows & columns in excel

Please create a way to insert multiple rows & above or below other rows when I right click on a row. Also if you could do that for columns as well.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Restore data form functionality (different from VBA UserForms)

I miss the data form feature available in previous versions of Excel and would like to see it restored in Excel for Mac. Note that the Data Form feature is not the same as VBA UserForms. There's a separate suggestion if you want to vote for VBA UserForms.

254 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We will still accept votes on this suggestion. Please note that this suggestion is not for VBA UserForms. There’s a separate suggestion you can vote for if that’s most important to you.

Some comments on the other suggestion indicate that clarification was needed, so I’ve updated the titles and description to be clearer.

Steve K [MS Excel]

5. keep the copy

Disable "Keep the Copy": Provide users a way to disable the new "keep the copy" functionality that was recently included. Having to hit the 'ESC' key is an extraneous step and very frustrating.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Comment box

When I hover over (or rollover) existing comment boxes they do not appear. (Yes, it is turned on under preferences.) I can't edit them either, as that would at least be a way to see them.

I can add new comment boxes, that appear to have changed? I have to "submit" them?

Please.....just put them back to the way they used to be. If that can't be done, why can't I view old comments? That is a must!

Using Excel 2016 for Mac, Version 16.18. Using Office 365. I believe this latest update was yesterday. I was having this problem…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Import/Export Quick Access Toolbar

Similar to PC version, I would like to Import/Export the quick access toolbar. Preferably with the same/compatible PC "exportedUI" files.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support MacOS Tabs

Make Excel look and behave like all the other apps I use on my Mac. So if I want multiple documents would open in tabs. Then the controls I can't perform with a shortcut will be in the same place on the screen all the time, not moving around in multiple windows or hidden in a narrow window somewhere.

Alternatively bring back the formatting palette and get rid of the clunky, infuriating ribbon, growing like a vile cancer on every document I have open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Autosave UI is HORRENDOUS

Right now you have an "autosave" toggle on the Excel header. But this is set to "off" and is not able to be toggled on, unless you are working with a file on one drive. How presumptuous of MSFT - you put a control on the interface with no way to address it. And, your support is clueless (initially) as to why this is usable. Because they have all been trained to think that everyone uses everything you create all the time.

Or organization, like so many others, relies on Dropbox. I also use iCloud. And Box. And OneDrive. But…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bring ALL of MS Office feature to MAC Office

HOW ABOUT BRINGING ALL FEATURES AVAILABLE ON OFFICE FOR PC TO MAC OFFICE. I CANT BELIEVE THAT I PAY FOR SOMETHING AND I AM NOT GETTTING ALL FEATURES AND THAT IT VARIES FROM DEVICES.
    I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FORMULA WIZARD BROUGHT TO MAC OFFICE AS WELL AS PHSTAT.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. offline help

Please bring back offline help! There are so many situations where I do not have an intenet connection but still need your help documents!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add ability to highlight active row/column

Add the ability to highlight the active row and column that we've currently clicked on; would be useful for both windows and mac

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make Excel (and all Office products) for Mac feature-identical with their Windows counterparts

You asked for specifics. This is as specific as it gets.

Windows and Mac versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote should be 100% feature-identical. No exceptions, no differences, no excuses.

"We can't do it all at once."

Of course you can. You developed those features for Excel for Windows, and released that software. The development work has already been done.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add same fuction for Excel for mac as the Windows version

People have been requested this since 2015 and now years is 2017 and the version in mac are different from version in windows. We miss Power BI and we miss a lot of function that are not in the Excel for mac. Most of us BIA are a mac user and we can't go over to windows computer just for using Excel.

We want a declaration from MS team and what's your plan about bringing on Power BI and other function to Excel Mac or not? Because we can't pay for Excel and it's different feature depends what we have…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I am not able to attach pdf file on excel on Mac as seen on Windows.

WE should be able to attach pdf file as icon on Excel on MAC . we can do similar on Eindows Excel. Unfortunately it cannot be done on office 365. Please add this useful feature in new update

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable functions across Excel for PC and Mac

1. Ribbon for Excel
    2. Sunburst charts and Tree graphs - every graphic that can be done using PC but not Excel for Mac
    3. Interpolation
    4. Function keys
    5. Thousands more examples
    6. If Microsoft intends to keep Office for Mac and Excel for Mac a vastly inferior product than Office/Excel for PC, the company should own that and adjust both pricing and expectations.
    7. Also, produce a usable document which clearly documents all omitted features so users don't waste time learning to use a new feature only to discover separately Microsoft's profit-driven decision to ignore the customer needs. …

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Insert photos into comment box!!!

Not sure why this option isn't available, completely leaving your customer base out to hang with a feature I used when I had PC...

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Selecting a cell with Mouse doesn't always work

I have a great deal of trouble with the mouse click in Excel (Version 15.22). I have to move the mouse out of the cell I'm working in, click on a cell far away from it several times, and then come back and try it again.

This is never an issue with Excel (Version 14.6.4). I'd like to use the later version but it's too difficult to use with the cell selection issue.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on a known issue where selection is not aligned correctly if you are using Page Layout View and you have some rows set to repeat on all pages. If you scroll down beyond page one, sometimes the selection becomes misaligned. If you are seeing problems in other scenarios, it would be helpful to provide a more detailed description of what you’re seeing and the steps that lead up to the issue.

You can submit feedback including screen shots by clicking the Smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window. You could also ask a question on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel, which may help determine exactly what steps cause the issue.

Steve K [MS Excel]

20. touch bar - highlighting

In the touch bar for Mac make that the function highlight "remember" the last color, like in the ribbon. Specially because the usual bright yellow does not appear in the touch bar menu of colors! Same for font color in touch bar.
    This would make a lot easier and helpful to use the touch bar to format cells

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base