Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add instruction manual secondary axis

(Before I start, excuse me for my bad English :)).

Yesterday I tried to add a secondary axis. I read a lot of manuals but these were not for Excel Mac 2016 (365 subscription). After an hour we discovered that you need to select the data in the chart itself and then you have the option to add a secondary axis. Maybe it's an idea to describe this better in the help function or online?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. please make excel automatically save all the files every 5 minutes

Please make excel automatically save files every 5 minutes. Its super annoying when my computer shuts down on it's own and my whole days work is lost on excel because I did not manually save it

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Can the 2016 version and return to the 2011 version. You have seriously messed up a good thing. I wasted my money on Office 2016.

Can the 2016 version and return to the 2011 version. You have seriously messed up a good thing. I wasted my money on Office 2016. There are too many issues to describe them here.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. AutoUpdate isn't Auto if we have to push DONE.

Microsoft AutoUpdate keeps asking me if I want to Auto update. When I say yes (each time), it downloads stuff, does stuff, and then waits for me to push the Done button. (each time)

Turning on Autoupdate should mean that I never hear from it again. JUST DO IT!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Office 14.7.4 doesn't install properly on Mac

The latest update for Microsoft Office for Mac 14.7.4 will download but won't install on my Mac. I keep getting a message to please close Microsoft Excel even when the application is closed. 'Retry" doesn't work. I have to hit "Skip". It finishes downloading. I hit 'Done'. It automatically checks for updates, and the same update appears since it was never installed. The download file never appears anywhere on my desktop like it supposed to do in order to click and install it. I know Mac is a competitor, but please fix your produce or just don't offer it to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Zoom In Zoom Out keyboard shortcut

Zoom In/Out keyboard shortcut of: CMD +, CMD -, CMD 0 (zoom in, zoom out, reset zoom) for all Office apps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix "paste as picture" function

Whenever I try to paste table from Excel as picture or as an "MS Excel worksheet object" into other applications (Word, PowerPoint), the final result is very different from the original table – number formats get scrambled, some numbers are not visible, etc. If I export the same table into PDF, however, there is no such problem. So there is a workaround – save as PDF, paste in your document and then crop the PDF. But this takes much more time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The Shift+Pg Down and Page Up for selecting text is broken

When trying to select multiple cell/rows of data the Shift+Page Down and page up selection is not working as it should. The worksheet does not move up or down with the selection and so you don't know where the selection is at. it works in excel 2011 but is broken in excel 2016. Please fix.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Scrolling through the ribbon menu

Please allow for scrolling across the ribbon menu like the windows version. This is when you place the mouse cursor over the ribbon and roll the mouse wheel up and down and it scrolls through the menu headers. Great time saver. Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Return Grab Hand move tool to excel

Excel 2016 previous to 15.33 (170308) when you selected a Column to move used a Grab Hand if you press option key a plus sign would appear. You could then copy the selected Column to the next column or row if you selected row it to the next row. Need that fixed and returned immediately.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Stop trying to sell, and support your customers.

How about actually forwarding your customers to a helpful site when they select the help tab? Instead it just goes to a marketing page to buy a different program.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cannot install 14.7.2 update as Excel needs to be closed but it's not even open!!!

How can I do an update install if it keeps asking me to close Excel to enable it to complete the install and yet Excel is not even open? Is this a fault in 14.7.2 install update? never had issues with previous updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please add "format painter" to the ALL COMMANDS list

For some reason, this is missing from the ALL COMMANDS list when I try to add it to the Quick Access Toolbar. On Mac, it's called "copy formatting" (Windows is "format painter") but neither is shown in the ALL COMMANDS list. Please add this!!!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel Solver

A Life saver of an ADD-IN. It's like --- why even bother using excel without it?

. And Yet. Why can't I just solve multiple iterations of a column of say 10 different cells I want to solve using the same solution?

I can't -- unless I go to PC. write some ugly looking VB code... put some ridiculously ugly looking button on my spreadsheet.. which works for maybe 1 out of 5 people i'll send the XLSM file too.

Excel is the one product i paid the office license for --- it's still a decent workhorse. But don't you…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Alert user before deleting cells that are referenced by other cells to avoid #REF

Alert user before deleting cells that are referenced by other cells to avoid #REF

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Autofill for decimal numbers calculates wrong

Used autofill with a {1.1, 1.2, 1.3} sequence for 50 values it seem to work and completed to 6.0 as expected however I noticed the 6.0 is actually 5.99999999999999, but this behavior is not consistent and other numbers are correct like 4.5 and 1.5.

My 0.2 cents ... is using a float for calculation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use trackpad to scroll/navigate while selecting content

It would be a lot better for workflow if while you were clicking and dragging to select multiple cells you could still use the 2 finger swipe to navigate around your document. Hope that makes sense!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. LaTeX Rendering within OFFICE

I'd love to see a rendering capability for turning LaTeX code snippets into mathematical symbols for products like word and excel.

I think we all use excel these days, and we personally hate the VBA features in MAC. But I'm fairly certain LaTeX will be the MICROSOFT WORD Killer that will destroy any need to use that product ever again.

We still are stuck with Excel. It's a good product. Because it's visual and easy to work with vs. other command line scripting tools like MATLAB or Python or R. That said. --- I'm almost certain that there's no reason…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Scope in Define name dialog

Can we please get a option to change the scope in the define name dialog when you define a name in Mac Excel 2016. Like to change it to sheet sometimes, the only way to do it now is to type the sheet name before the name like 'sheet name'!namerange . I like to see that it is working the same as in all the other Excel versions (Win and Mac)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base