Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. sheet tabs

Allow user to specify location of sheet tabs (top, bottom, left, right)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add userdefined view in excel app for ipad

Add userdefined view in excel app for ipad
    Would be awesome to have the same options like in mac or windows excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add userdefined view in excel app for ipad

would be awesome to have different views in ipad excel app like it is in excel for mac/win

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Drag sheet to new book excel

Allow users to simply drag the sheet tab to another open Excel window to move the sheet to that book (Office 2019 MAC)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. No fixed headers in online view available.

in local version that works and is very helpful to navigate big sheets/WBs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Find All to Excel for Mac

There is currently no 'Find All" function in excel for Mac. This pretty severely limits how easy it is to navigate large workbooks. I used this function quite a bit when I was on a PC and would love to see it added in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. disable horizontal scrolling

Please allow users to disable horizontal scrolling (when trying to scroll vertically). When using two-finger scroll on a trackpad (like on a MacBook) it's impossible to pull straight down. There used to be a feature to disable this in Excel for Mac, but it has gone away.

The reason for this is that normally we only need to scroll vertically and am finding the when I use the trackpad I often scroll horizontally as well without intending to.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "Night" version

Make a setting that turns cells a dark/black color and the lines white. Twitter has a setting like this, where your timeline turns dark blue and the words turn white.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since the cells are formatted for what they will look like when printed, the default is to have white background with black text. You can make your own worksheets “Night” theme by selecting the entire sheet and then setting the background of the cells to a dark color, the font to a light color, and the cell borders to a light color. You could also apply a small dark image as the background image, which will be tiled across the entire sheet.

It would be great to hear how you think Excel should handle a Night mode for the sheet automatically. For example, if the sheet has content that is in a wide range of colors, should they automatically be adjusted to be easily visible with a dark background, even if that’s not how the author wants them to show up in the light mode?

10. Comments are not displayed in cells ISSUE

When the mouse pointer is over a cell with comments, these must be displayed while the pointer is over the cell. In the latest version of Excel for iMAC this is not the case.
    I had to contact Technical Support and they could not solve it (ticket 1443809072), what they did was uninstall my latest version of Excel and install an earlier version.
    How can I know that they have solved this problem?

Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Row and column targeting highlighter

Row and column targeting highlighter. I would love a feature that when I point or click on a cell, the entire row and column is highlighted with a
    color that I can choose from a pallet. This feature would confirm when entering values into a specific cell, that you can ensure you are working on the right row or column because often sheets are very large and making sure you enter a value into the right cell can be a problem especially after hours of staring at a spreadsheet with many values. This feature can of course be turned on…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and finding the cell referred to.

Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and then finding the cell referred to. Allow us to highlight the active ell, or change the outline color / weight of the line. The green color provided does not "pop" at all.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Dragging tabs in a workbook

Unable to drag tabs in a workbook beyond the edge of the page. In the past, you could drag the tab to the end of the page and it would scroll until you released it. Very helpful when alphabetizing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Put Scroll Bars back

Put scroll bars (horizontal and vertical) back. Or at least put the slider back - the scroll bars are actually there but without any slider are totally unusable (took me a long time to even notice that the white bar was actually a scroll bar without any slider!

It's a nightmare trying to work without scroll bars and this feature needs to be put back really urgently.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Pinned excel files

Excel on MAC automatically un-pins a file from the pinned recent files view. Can you pls fix this to leave the file pinned until the user unpins it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Remove "Add Header" or "Add Footer" from Page View

Remove the grayed "Add Header" and "Add Footer" from being visible in Page View (example below). It wasn't visible in Excel 2011 but is visible by default on 2016. Or, maybe it's only visible when grids are visible? I create many forms with Excel and often leave the view for users to tab through the form in page view and magnified at a view that is best. Now all our customers submitting these forms have a big "Add Header" at the top of our nicely designed forms. Example attached.

This was my initial post in the community forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-mso

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel for Mac v15.23 scrolling still broken

Just updated to v15.23 for Excel on Mac today hoping to see scrolling fixes, but nothing seems to have changed. When scrolling up in Page Layout view, the entire page above blanks out for several seconds before filling in the data on the page. Other Mac apps handle scrolling just fine and seamlessly show pages in real time as they are scrolled up/down. Excel on Mac still seems to not understand scrolling and showing data scrolling at same time!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Frozen Panes scrolling issues

There's a post titled "Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1" that is marked as "completed,", but those issues are still occurring. I'm on a Mac (Yosemite 10.10.5) and my Excel version is 15.34.

Link to post referenced above: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/12428436-freeze-panes-broken-in-15-19-1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow Ribbon AUTOHIDING in Mac Excel

The idea is simple.

IF AUTOHIDE RIBBON is turned on,

THEN the Ribbon collapses into the TITLES OF THE RIBBON TABS automatically as your mouse moves off it. The Ribbon re-expands when your mouse hovers over the Title Tabs that the Ribbon collapsed into.

The whole key to this is to have NO DELAY between when you hover on it and the Ribbon Autoexpands, and NO DELAY when you hover off it and the Ribbon Autocollapses.

Please Don't even put in a 0.1ms delay for aesthetics. Default to 0.00ms delay, so that it SNAPS OPEN AND CLOSED. If you want…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Validation drop down with freeze panes issue

There is a little glitch when using a table column with validation from a drop down list combined with a freeze pane (see attached for an example). This is in Office 2016 for Mac OS.

The drop down arrow is not visible if the table is scrolled off to the right. Here is what I see....

1. Create a table with multiple columns

2. Add validation to the first column to choose from a list, in a drop down

3. Freeze panes at the first row of the second column, so that the table headings and the first column are always visible when…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base