Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VLOOKUP to bring text formatting with it

Allow VLOOKUP to bring text formatting with it. For example, I am using VLOOKUP to lookup data in another Excel worksheet. The data contains bold and italic text. When I use VLOOKUP the bold and italic text does not come, all I get is the raw text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. PLEASE add the page & cell reference of a formula when alerting the user to an issue when the spreadsheet is opened

I open one particular spreadsheet and a warning comes up that there is a circular calculation but it doesn't tell me where and I can't find it.

I think it would be a good idea to add the page & cell reference to assist the user find the problem

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Click sheet to add same cell in different sheets to a formula

Excel 2011 had the possibility to sum the same relative cell in different sheets by typing "=", and then clicking on a cell in one sheet and then just clicking the next sheet and it would add the same cell in that sheet to the formula. This functionality is no longer available in Excel 2016.

I would have thought that this functionality would have been included when Microsoft added the Preference "Enable Click To Add Mode) in May 2020 (v16.37 or higher). See https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/9603774-just-click-individual-cells-to-sum?tracking_code=5c6fb0a2180ea3d9572d151bf21fefc0
    but they didn't.

Please add this functionality when turning on "Enable Click To Add Mode.

Thank…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Combine Arrays Function: COMBINE(Array1, Array2 , ...)

A functions to combine arrays and return a single array. For example, I have a spreadsheet that contains a list of schools and a list of theatres. Some schools also have theatres, so I would like to combine a subset of the schools with the theatres to produce an array of venues that then be used as a validation list. Currently I use the new FILTER() and SORT() functions to create 2 arrays and then use an awkward and complex array function with helper functions (based on MID()) to combine them. Would be great if I could just e.g. SORT(COMBINE(A3#,B3#))

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. HYPERLINK function - optional Screen Tip argument

This should be a relatively easy one: In the HYPERLINK function, please add an optional argument for assigning a Screen Tip.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Money for Excel-Allow user-defiined subcatgeories

I think of my finances along main domains, like housing, auto, healthcare, etc. Each of the domains, however, should have user-defined subcategories that can drilled down to when needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. weighted randomizer function

Make a randomizer (for contests, sample data, or simply randomizers) which uses 2 columns; one with the value, one with the weight of said value. Making a randomizer which uses weighted values is a huge pain as of right now!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make the SUM function more convenient to use so when you click the individual cells it will added them opposed to having to put + btw cells

Make the SUM function more convenient to use so when you click the individual cells it will added them opposed to having to put + btw cells

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Filter/explode category in Formula Builder

One can search and Scroll in the Formula dialog. If you don't know what excel will call a function you need to scroll. What you usually know is if you will need a function on text, Date/time, number, stats etc... It would then be very nice to filter the enormous list of functions based on topic / data type you are to operate on.

Seems like a small feature add, that would help a lot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. translation function

It would be a great time saver if there was a translation function that worked like a reference function. Especially if you work internationally and have to enter 2 languages in e.g. a list to make it easier to understand, this function would be very practical, because you would have to enter it once and then you could transfer it to the other cells.
    For example: column A is German and column B should contain the corresponding English translations. Instead of having to translate everything manually, a function would be simpler here, which would transfer the following information: If A1…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. improve the filter function in excel for Mac - make it work the same as with excel for PC

improve the filter function in excel for Mac - make it work the same as with excel for PC

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I would need to use result of a formula as the lookup value in VLOOKUP, Hlookup....

The lookup value in this set of functions (vlookup, Index, match...) need to be a value or a reference to the cell containing a value. I would need the possibility of that value being the result of another formula or function. For example : Vlookup(A2;b2:f9:3;0) where A2 would not contain a value but a formula such as =M1+m2 or simply M1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 全環境、全バージョン、配列数式の 引数引き渡し

配列数式を 組む際に、
     ・セル間配列数式値の 受け渡し、
     ・ネスト間配列数式値の 受け渡し、
    此等において、

ご存じの通り、
    阻害条項が 横たわっており、

連れて、
    名前定義を 介したり、
    INDEX構文を 持ちいたり、
    等、

阻害への 特殊な、
    対応が 求められます。

又、

OFFSET構文等の、
    索引関数の 結果を、
    上位ネスト関数に 引き渡す際にも、

かなり 以前から、
    不具合が 見られるように、
    なっていますし、

他にも 有る、
    可能性も 横たわっています。

一方、

もし 此等を、
    VBAで なそうと、
    する場合、

ループ等での 対応が、
    一般的です。

ですが、

此では オブジェクトタッチ数が、
    飛躍的に 増え、

連れて、
    必要処理時間が 飛躍的に、
    増加するだけでなく、

プリセット機能である シート関数の、
    有用性を 殺し、

併せれば、
    Excel 其の物の、
    価値を、能力を、
    毀損しています。

Excelの、

持てる 能力の、
    全てを 毀損させず、
    余す事なく 発揮させるためにも、

配列数式への 改善を、
    図っては 如何でしょうか、

ご検討を 願います。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Temporary variables in formulas

It would be amazing if you could implement a function that allows you to set a temporary variable to use within a formula! Something like the syntax used in OpenRefine's "with()" control (borrowing their syntax for my example - link to their wiki below).

Syntax:
    WITH( [Function A], [Variable Name: string], [Function B] )

[Function A] would get evaluated first, and then the result could be referenced within [Function B] using the [Variable Name] string (essentially as if it was a named range). With this you can reuse a value in a formula multiple times without needing to repeat the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please improve the ASC and JIS functions

Please improve the ASC and JIS functions so that:
    they can apply to:
    - only romajis,
    - only katakanas,
    - both of them
    For instance, this could be like:
    - ASC(Text,-1) / JIS(Text, -1) would apply only to romajis
    - ASC(Text,1) / JIS(Text,1) would apply to katakanas only
    - ASC(Text,0) / ASC(Text) / JIS(Text,0) / JIS(Text) would apply to both, just as the present versions.

This would be very helpful for a variety of usages.
    The main usage would be to force romajis to single-byte while forcing kanas to double-byte.
    In fact, in many cases, ones would prefer transform only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please improve ASC and JIS functions

Please improve the ASC and JIS functions to that:
    they can apply to:
    - only romajis,
    - only katakanas,
    - both of them
    For instance, this could be like:
    - ASC(Text,-1) / JIS(Text, -1) would apply only to romajis
    - ASC(Text,1) / JIS(Text,1) would apply to katakanas only
    - ASC(Text,0) / ASC(Text) / JIS(Text,0) / JIS(Text) would apply to both, just as the present versions.

This would be very helpful for a variety of usages.
    The main usage would be to force romajis to single-byte while forcing kanas to double-byte.
    In fact, in many cases, ones would prefer transform only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Reinstate ability to use the TAB or RETURN key to finish a formula and move to next over or down cell

I'm on a Mac OS10.14.6 using Excel v16.34. Neither the Enter nor Return nor Tab key will auto-select the Done button to finalize a created formula and then bring me to the next cell over or down.

I've hesitated to move from Excel 2011 because I'm able to, for instance, put my cursor in a cell, double-click SUM in the function dialog box (which I keep open in the window), drag/select the range of cells I want to add, then hit the Tab button to finalize the formula and move me to the cell to the right, to then use…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base