Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Warn when merging cells that comments and notes are lost

I've lost hours of notes in an excel sheet and didn't even realize the notes were deleted. So please add a warning or some indicator that warns the user that notes and comments are lost when you merge cells.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Format Control Element, change color and font size in excel 365 for Mac os

I would like to get the option to change the color and especially the font size of a control element within an excel sheet. This seem not to be possible in the office 365 excel version for mac. Please let me know if I am wrong or when your are going to implement the idea :-)

Many thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make cells able to overflow

The text in a cell can wrap, shrink or, as per default, overflow the cell edge. And when double-clicking the edge of the column header to make the column set to auto-width, if the cell is not wrapping or shrinking the column width will expand to contain the whole text.

In some cases, I'd like the text to keep overflowing even though the text is larger than the column width. A kind of "ignore when determining column width"-setting. It would probably fit best at the same place as the wrap/shrink setting.

I would use it for constructs like a list…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Conditional Formatting by row

I often come across instances where I need to heat map a lot of lines of data using heat map option in conditional formatting. However to do this by row I have to select a row at a time. I tried to do a via script but my scripting skills aren't great. Could we get a option where we can do the heat map by all data (currently available) as well as heat map by row of data? heat map by column may be useful for some also.

Happy to be contacted too explain further/upload examples.

thank you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I cannot save an excel file as csv after my last macOS update yesterday.....pls help

I cannot save an excel file as csv after my last macOS update yesterday.....pls help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. stop autocorrecting numbers into dates

Please provide the option to stop turning numbers into dates. It's so frustrating. There should be a global option to stop that mess. When a person is working with data that includes these kinds of numbers frequently, like I do, working on managing assessment for grades K-12, and specifically the grade ranges 3-5 and 6-8 (NOT March and July) it's so frustrating to have those numbers auto-corrected when I export database information and I have to go through the hassle of fixing it constantly. Seriously, that's not helping.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Log in to your Norton account

The malwares today are advanced enough to penetrate the in-built security of your device. That is why it is essential to install external protection like Norton Antivirus software to give overall safety to your data. Norton exhibits several features like a smart firewall, secure VPN, Password Manager, etc. Norton also offers cloud storage where you can store unlimited data and files along with all these features. Cloud storage is easily accessible from any device. The advanced version of Norton can detect cyber-attacks and other online threats in an instant. With a secure VPN, you can connect to any public network…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. McAfee Antivirus software

The cloud-based offline and online protection of McAfee Antivirus software is adept in defending the devices against multiple online threats, including ransomware, phishing sites, viruses, or other unwanted programs. McAfee also offers bank-grade encryption to give high-level security to some of your confidential data. Apart from all this, the WebAdvisor feature gives you an instant warning regarding any suspicious links or sites.

visit site :https://a2activate.co.uk/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create the option to split a cell for Mac users

You can split a cell in Windows version of Excel, but not with Mac. Why are Windows users granted certain features that Mac users are not? Please rectify this blatant oversight and create the option for Mac users to split cells (rather that having to create unnecessary rows, only to merge all but two cells) as soon as possible. This will build a more user-friendly experience and allow for more creativity.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel

Cell indentations are far too big! For instance, a left indentation of 1 is around 2-3 spaces. There should be way that the user can adjust this to a smaller measure - say in millimetres or pts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Name Manager non-existant

The name manager in Excel for Mac is virtually non-existant compared to the version in Windows. Please add the same functionality for the Mac-version.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Autofit Row Height of Merged Cells

It would be great if we excel could auto-fit the row height of merged cells like we can with un-merged cells.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "downloading missing fonts for Excel" (Fehlende Schriftarten werden heruntergeldaden)

I am using Office 365 now approx for a year on my device (iMac, most current iOS-version). Since a few weeks, whenever I open Excel I get the message shown above. That does not happen with other Office 365-application but only with Excel. It is not really a problem but a little annoying. Instructions to solve the problem found in the internet did not remedy the situation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Preserve conditional formatting in Mac pivot table

Please add the conditional formatting "Apply Rule To" feature to Mac Excel. This is already in Windows. It is insanely frustrating that I need to re-apply the conditional formatting to every column every time I expand a pivot table or add data or really do anything to the pivot table. Thank you.

Also discussed here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-do-you-apply-conditional-formats-to-fields-in/7235070e-eeca-4b09-abd2-424e80333b06

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. implement a way to split cells in a table.

Have a way to split a single cell in a table into multiple rows or columns (subrows and subcolumns of the main table)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make Calendar Week - Year into a dated format

Please make a format that helps excel recognize that calendar week and year put together is a dated format. It does not do that currently and won't sort properly into a pivot table --> chart. Currently a very manual process to move the individual pivot data one by one. I imagine it will be very helpful for KPIs in businesses across multiple industries.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make a preview setting

I would recommend making a preview setting whereas you can look at the document without the other tabs getting in the way :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support for Engineering Number Format

Same as Scientific format, but exponent is limited to multiples of 3 to correspond with metric system Kilo, Mega, Giga

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support Colorindex in the custom number format

Currently if you open an excel created on windows using color index inside the cell format i.e. [Color10]#,##0 this is not supported by Excel for Mac and gives a file repair error ...

Currency Mac support [Red], [Blue] etc but not color index.. which is annoying as ColorIndex are already working on Windows and Excel online..

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base