Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back option to remove black line around embedded Word documents

Enable Shape Format --Shape Outline options for embedded Word documents on spreadsheet that appear as objects. In past versions of Excel, you could remove the black line in formatting so that text appeared on the sheet without a border. Haven't been able to turn in reports for over a year in newer version. Only works with the text box which defeats the purpose of being about to Word functions such as grammar, etc. inside Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Paste value different excel file

When copying cells with values to a different excel file, paste values does not work. Ctrl--cmd--v. Rather it does the annoying paste special

Paste values works within the same excel file, but not to a different.

Please fix

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix Slicers Formatting

The formatting for slicers won't work. When you click to modify a slicer style, all the options are table elements instead, not slicer elements.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix view header problem

Opening files in Excel Mac 365 created with a template using Excel (Mac) 2011, headers are overwritten when I use View->Headers and Footers while viewing in "Normal" mode. Instead of displaying the header contents from the opened file, a blank header is created, erasing the previous header contents. When this happens, the footer is unchanged. If instead, the file is being viewed in "Page Layout" mode, the header is displayed correctly and can be modified. Seems like a bug in the Normal view while operating on some older files.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• If type "11-12", have it echo "11-12'", NOT "12-Nov" !!!

Why that ugly, stupid format?
            If I has wanted "12-Nov",I WOULD HAVE TYPED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please return the customized keyboard!!!

Customized Keyboard option is really helpful to make the app work for you efficiently.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Decimals with external numeric pad

When using an external numerical pad with a Mac, the dot for decimals is automatically changed into a comma, hence the figures are not recognized as numbers but as text (even though the Mac and Excel settings for decimals are set to dots).

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Superscript symbol for the letters c, f, q, and z.

Please add a superscript symbol for the letters c, f, q, and z. Formatting a letter as superscript in the cell doesn't translate to Microsoft Word table legends. These are the only letters currently missing a superscript symbol option.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add 'Convert toText' to right click menu

Calculated value(s) in the selected cell(s) Convert to Text would accept the results of functions, etc so that they are more difficult to change accidentally.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve compatibility with files from Office Mac 2011

I recently got scared by the warnings about continuing to use Office for Mac 2011 and signed up for a trial subscription to Office 365. My wife uses Excel for billing in her business and has about 200 .XLSX files for which print formatting is important. I've found that opening the files with Mac Excel 16.18 results in two types of problem.

The files are opened by default in "normal" view mode, showing the content cells (without the header and footer containing customer information unique to each file). If I attempt to view the header via "view->header & footer", a…

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Let user control decimals; do not automatically modify input values

Excel will change the number of decimals displayed when a user inputs numbers. For scientific and engineering applications, this has huge impacts on our data.
                        The input 2.00 is very different than 2, because fewer decimals displayed implies that we have not measured precisely or that we have a large amount of error in the number.
                        This applies across Excel. For example, I recently made a chart where the data was measured to three significant figures (ie my inputs were 5.24, 6.00, 6.25) but the line graph on the y-axis shows the markers "5.2, 5.6, 6, 6.4." This makes my…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pensez-vous revenir au + par défaut lorsque l'on crée une formule utilisant plusieurs sommes à additionner, comme vous le faisiez dès l'orig

A l'origine l'addition de plusieurs sommes non alignées se faisait par un clic, le signe + étant pris par défaut. Depuis 'origine de Mac j'utilise cette faculté. La suppression de cette possibilité est très handicapante.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please, let us change the page size again to custom sizes!

I have to change the paper size to 90cm width, but obviously it isn't possible anymore in Excel 2016! How am I supposed to print my files now? The support assistant told me that it actually isn't possible, but sent me - as a workaround - a link to a forum entry where people were complaining about the lack of this feature... by the way, the workaround didn't work! ^^ People in the forum suggested using Numbers instead. As a matter of fact, I probably will have to do that as the quality of excel is getting worse and worse…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 关于条件格式的相关建议

开发组各位中午好~

我是想来反馈一下Excel的条件格式功能,近期做了很多表,对条件格式的使用比较多,发现问题如下:

1、打开条件格式设置框后,框体大小不可改变,且只能通过拉滚动条来实现查看超过5条的条件格式(MAC\2016),事实上我有的表格设置的条件格式上白条,这样非常不方便;

2、设置条件格式,有时候会涉及到类似的条件但作用于不同的区域是同一种格式,所以希望格式可以有记忆功能。比如:

if(A列="A",F:L变灰底红字黑框,false);

if(B列="B",F:L变灰底红字黑框,false);

if(C列="C",F:L变灰底红字黑框,false)……

诸如此类,每次都要在底色、字体、边框三个选项卡来设置,十分不便;

3、结合前两者,在编辑上百条条件格式的时候,最好可以实现条件格式编辑框内,已设置条件的上下拖拽功能,以及同事选择多条格式然后同时上下移动调整,目前的上下箭头效率较低,且最好有实时预览功能;

4、在条件格式框内,编辑多个条件的话,点击确定后只有一条编辑可被保存,比如修改两个作用区域,我要改一个,点确定关掉编辑框,再重新打开编辑另一个,一次性编辑完两个只能保存其一;

5、条件格式在编辑公式时,键盘的左右按键不在编辑框内起作用,而是开始引用下方表格中选定单元格的左右格,这个很苦恼,因为看到光标在编辑框内,按下左右却起到不同的作用,感觉不是很好用这样;

额,目前先这些吧,我感觉我是比较资深的Excel设计制作者了,如果愿意,我也可以小范围分享我的作品,为大家提供新想法思路,我做的表格基本快成了一个小软件了,也希望提出的建议可被采纳并对产品升级,非常棒,谢谢团队!

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Font format or cell width changed in 2016

I have many spreadsheets in which I had tailored cell widths to just fit the text I had in column headers, and upon upgrading to 2016, either the font format has changed or the cell widths have become smaller to the extent that many of my column headers have words that are split on two lines now. What did Microsoft do to make a global change in formats that has affected many of my spreadsheets? Is anyone else seeing this?

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Text overflow in a cell using Soft hyphen

We need a mechanism in Excel what to break the words for text wrapping according to column width. Please give us hyphenate by syllables.
                                  This feature is supported in Word as a soft hyphen; if the line doesn't break at the hyphen, it is invisible.
                                  Now using text wrapping is 95% of the time ugly.

4 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Clarify the units of measure for row height and column width. What are these dimensionless numbers? conversion factors? clarify!

Whatever the cell width and length are, be clear what it is and give conversion factors to some common units of measure like cm or inches - anything actually measurable with a ruler or micrometer.

You are not even using the same units for vertical and horizontal - Pick one well known unit to use for both directions. Then Help file could give a list of conversions to anyone in any country.

Metric system seems appropriate rather than some unexplained dimensionless number.

Inches is not accepted in my edition of EXCEL contrary to what is described by other users who…

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• problem with space between characters en with column width since high sierra

when opening an excel document in excel (office for mac 2016), made before high sierra, in high sierra, the columns are much smaller and the spacing between characters of a word are much to small and very irregular. So readability gets bad. F.i. arial 8, but also other fonts.

Also underlining is very thick and to close to the characters.

Schermafbeelding 2018-06-16 is how the correct result looked like before going to High Sierra

So I have to seek (but not really finding) another font. Also the column width of all of my documents in excel had to be adapted.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Translator Function... add it.

Need the Translator function add to Microsoft Excel for Mac... all versions...

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Cut and paste appears to append Chinese type characters and symbols

A few months ago it seems like during an update, we began getting problems while cutting and pasting from Excel into standard text editors. For some unknown reason there would be hundreds and sometimes thousands of Chinese type characters and symbols. Anyway to address this would be great. Thanks.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base