Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 108 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

61 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. This has been fixed and will be available in the 16.12 update. If you get monthly updates, you should be able to update in April. To get the update sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program by going to Help > Check for updates and opt to get the Fast Insider updates.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

• Proper compatibility with 2011, scaling and sizes all over the place

Each time I open a 2011 file in 2016 the cell and page sizes are all wrong and previously well presented documents look terrible. Each time I open it I have to waste time resizing everything to work in 2016

65 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all your comments and votes supporting this suggestion. There are some differences which have been introduced so that Excel for Mac can align closer with Excel for Windows, so in some cases you will need to adjust your documents. One reason for the differences is how Excel determines the column width in your spreadsheets, which you can read more about here – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/214123/description-of-how-column-widths-are-determined-in-excel.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

• default workbook

Please tell us where (and how, if necessary) we can change the default workbook.

If that is not currently accessible to users, please add it.

I have tried to create my own default workbook in the Templates and Startup folders, both with and without a file extension, but all to no avail.

Word allows us to create our own Normal.dotm in the Templates folder and that gets used for word defaults. Be nice if Excel did it in a similar way.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • No more warnings about saving as CSV, especially when I didn't change anything

I don't know how many hundreds (thousands?) of times I've told Excel that, yes, I really truly do mean to save this file as a CSV. I recognize that not all users will understand that CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, etc., but I do and I still want to do it. And I want to do it a lot. Please, give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings!

9 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-09-07

We’re done – you should no longer get a warning dialog about data loss when saving a file as CSV, as long as the file was originally opened as a CSV file.

Instead, we’ve added a non-intrusive business bar (that you can ignore if you choose) that let’s you quickly Save As the file if you have made changes that are not savable in CSV; if you ignore it and just Save, we’ll just save out the CSV values as you’d expect.

We actually rolled this out starting on August 22, 2016 with build 15.25 for O365 users. Later builds have this update as well of course.

Thanks for participating in UserVoice – we definitely value your input. You can now use whatever votes you’d allocated for this idea for other ideas.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base