Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix HTML export from AppleScript

Since 16.15, running the following AppleScript has either crashed Excel (versions 16.16–16.23) or (16.15 and since 16.24) produced a badly formatted HTML file.

tell application "Microsoft Excel" to save as active sheet filename theFolder & "test.html" file format HTML file format

Note that theFolder is a valid folder in the Office sandbox folder. The equivalent code in VBA works fine:

ActiveSheet.SaveAs FileName:=theFolder & "test.html", FileFormat:=xlHtml

Alternatively, could the VBA PublishObject object be added to the AppleScript dictionary?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Popup menus

365 for Mac has lost the ability to create popup menus via VBA using:

Set SubMenuItem = MenuItem.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)

We are told to use XRibbon, but it is not nearly as useful. It was possible to use it in 2011 and still works in 365 for Windows. Lack of parity on Mac is a huge problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Inquire

Add Inquire as an Add-in to ALL options! Our school district uses Office 365, allows personal users to download Microsoft Excel for Mac. I run Version 16.23 but do not have access to "Inquire" tab, thus cannot compare two sheets!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Easy or even just available data forms for data input on Office 2019

We just need the basic data forms available to us! UGH it's ridiculous not to have that available and even readily available

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Need a way to enter the static date and time on the iPad in excel

Definitely need a way to enter the static date and time on the iPad in excel. There is no command or control button on the iPad keyboard

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. No forms in VBA what do people do now.

It was Microsoft who developed the UserForm capability in VBA for Excel and now it is gone - what do people do now.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow tool tips for buttons embedded in a sheet that run macros

This functionality (adding a tool tip) works if an embedded button operates a hyperlink but not if it activates a macro

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Macros permanently for a given file

Make my response on whether I want macros enabled on any given file part of the saved details with the file.
    I know it has macros - I wrote it and yes I want them enabled - always - every time I open this file. Ask me for the next file and remember my response for that one also.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Mouse cursor disappears after running a macro in Excel for Mac version 16.15

Need to fix a bug with mac Excel. After running a macro, the mouse cursor disappears. It reappears after typing in another program and coming back to Excel. This fix works sometimes but not all. This gets frustrating. The same macro runs fine in Windows Excel.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Screen Updating in VBA

It would be great if, as for the Windows version, the Mac version of Excel enables Screen Updating when running a VBA macro. Currently, starting a macro runs but there is no indication whether the application is indeed calculating or simply frozen. adding the command Application.ScreenUpdating = TRUE has no effect

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. macOS Mojave is only 64 bit update Excel 2011 to 64

At present if you want to use Forms in VBA you cannot in the latest version of Excel for Mac one has to stay with 2011

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. fuzzy lookup for Mac

Fuzzy lookup for Mac

It would be great to have fuzzy lookup add-in for Mac.

153 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add the same items in the developer bar as in windows. Many VBA commands are missing, such as insert form

add the same items in the developer bar as in windows. Many VBA commands are missing, such as insert form

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. macro options...

If you select Tools - Macros - Macros... you get a list of macros. Select a macro and click Options... You're then presented with a box that allows you to set a Shortcut key. Either Option+Cmd (for a lower case letter) or Ctrl+Shift (for an upper case letter).

It doesn't matter what I enter into the little box. Nothing works. No letter, upper or lower case, seems to work.

Since generally keyboard shortcuts seem to be an issue has this ever worked?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix VBA recording issue

Something I came across - which I suspect has been documents elsewhere but I can't readily see it so here goes.

When recording a macro in excel for mac 2016 for some reason the action of opening a file does not get recorded. The recorder literally doesn't register that you have opened the file. (Its a very useful step to provide the full syntax for the file path of the relevant file).

However when you close the file - that step is recorded as ActiveWorkbook.Close.

It took me a while to work out that the syntax from 2011 to 2016…

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reporting this issue, we are planning to address it, but in the meantime, you can do this with a command such as the following:

Application.Workbooks.Open “/Users/user_name/Downloads/MyWorkbook.xlsx”

Steve K [MS Excel]

18. VBA bugs

Hi. Thanks for providing a new VBA editor for Office 2016. I have a vba add-in I've been working on that shortly after some recent updates started having errors pop-up. Please fix Mac Office 2016 so in vba I can close open xlam files.

In the attached add-in, I install statprogo.xlam, then in the ribbon, I can select, eg, Regression Analysis->Multiple... and then press cancel on the user form to get the error. The workbooks().close call is causing the error when it did not previously.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Userforms that are modeless

Allow Excel for Mac to support Userforms that are modeless, so that the Userform will not interrupt editing of the worksheet while the user form is shown.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. User defined functions

I developed an Excel Add-in that is coupled to a Fortran code in Excel 2016 for Mac. This works perfectly. However, it would be nice if the list of (user defined) functions could be visualised in a separate category or visualised anyway in the "Formula Builder" pane on the right side of the screen (in between the already existing categories and functions). I tried to use

Sub AddUDFToCustomCategory()
    Application.MacroOptions Macro:="MyFunction", Category:="MyCat"
    End Sub

but that does not work, nor in my develop Add-in, nor in a very simple Add-In with only one simple function.

Looking forward to an answer!

Teus

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base