Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. After upgrade to High Sierra Excel crashes when I try to change a cell

Excel 15.39 and High Sierra. Changing a cell (whatever, for example a stupid =5000/2 to =(10000/2)/2 Excel crash. Please fix it as it become unuseful and very frustrating!

20 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

130 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For the specific crash described with version 15.39, we are not receiving reports of this exact scenario. We continually monitor for crash reports that are submitted at the time of the crash as well as by feedback sent from within Excel (the smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window). Other comments here mention a variety of crashes, but we need more detail, such as exact build/version numbers, and exact steps that lead to the problem.

This topic is closed, but again, we continually monitor for crash issues and release fixes each month.

The best way to report a crash is to submit the crash information when prompted by the Microsoft Error Reporting dialog that shows up after a crash.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Relative hyperlinks broken for Office 365 Excel

The newest two updates to Office 365 (16.9 & 16.10) broke the way that relative hyperlinks work in Excel for Mac.

As an example, if you have documents located in a folder called "Documents" and try to create a relative path hyperlink "Documents/*some document*", Excel can no longer follow the hyperlink path, and returns "Cannot open the specified file"

This does not happen on older versions of Excel for Mac, or on Excel for PC. This has created a huge problem in my office, where we have hundreds of Excel documents with thousands of PDF links connected this way.

Please…

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Excel for Mac (2016) is very unstable and I often loose work and have to restart.

Unless Excel for Mac becomes stable, I will only use it on Windows and revert to other sw on the mac such as google docs, etc.

67 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been working on numerous fixes for specific crashes, and we monitor for crash reports so that we can continue to make improvements over the coming releases.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

• Fix the Broken Carat in the Formula Bar

The formula bar in Excel is horrendously broken. The carat randomly skips around and you cannot highlight text properly which makes it impossible to accurately edit formulas. This is especially heinous with long formulas, however this occurs with formulas OF ANY LENGTH.

Here is a video of this infuriating behavior:

https://vimeo.com/165402559

63 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Fix click-drag to select cells in Mac

I can't click-drag to select multiple cells with the mouse/trackpad. When trying to do so, it only selects the first cell I click. I can only select multiple cells with the keyboard. I am currently running version 15.25 (160719) - new install on a new Mac running OS X 10.11.6.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Tye,

This issue only repros on Macs with the new Tracpad (or new MBP with force touch).

We’ve fixed the issue in build 15.25 (160721) and later.

Until you get that build (you may be able to update to it now), the immediate workaround is todo the following:

1. Go to System preference→Track pad→
              2. Disable Force click and haptic feedback

Cheers,
              Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base