Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Will Excel for Mac 2016 utilize multiple cores on Mac?

1,734 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

carol wimsatt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Excel for Mac now has multi-threaded calculation, as of the release of version 16.9 on 18-Jan-2018. To update, go to Help > Check for updates. Thanks for all of your comments and support for this feature.

As mentioned in earlier comments, if you encounter any issues, please send the details to us by clicking the smiley-face button in the top right corner of the Excel window.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

707 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I can tell, the only difference since the update is that it says Calculating (4 Threads) instead of Calculating (1 Processor(s)). Still brutally slow on opening, calculating, and saving. I run a vlookup on a hundred thousand lines, and step away for 15 minutes while it churns. Embarrassing.

• James Damp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the compute power available in a modern Mac, it's very frustrating that Excel, which lives and dies via compute calculations, isn't taking full advantage of all available processors and working memory.
        A ~20MB spreadsheet with a couple of dozen sheets shouldn't be grinding my computer to a halt while it calculates.
        Please MS, put some focus on this CRITICAL application.

• Dixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never had any problems with this until the newest version 16.11 (180311) and now it is recalculating almost as slowly as I could do it by hand. What gives or what do I need to fix?

I have wasted the day suffering through recalculations taking over 20 MINUTES due to only one processor on a Mac. I'm about to jump to the darkside and have to learn a PC after 30 years in the Mac environment for one spreadsheet! Doesn't make sense one bit that the PC version of Excel has features that the Mac version does not.

Yesterday's update had a HUGE improvement in performance. Rivals Excel on Windows for my financial model.

• Wajid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just updated to 16.11 and relieved that it is performing much better.

• TJ Boom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Excel version 16.9 (180116) and it's navigation is so slow and sluggish (and the AutoRecovery does not work, by the way), that it is almost not useable. Anybody know how to return to an earlier version before MS "Fixed" it ??

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's strange, both command t and windows t work for me. I'm not sure what your keyboard is like, but if you have an Apple key you could try that in place of command?

• Garfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By the way... the Command + T shortcut doesn't work in place of the F4 function button either.

• Wajid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur @Garfield, overall the update seems to be patchy. Link opening is not working, copy specific text within a call is not working, and sometimes paste special is not working either etc etc.

Thanks Chris. Good to know. Don’t understand why things seem to take one step forward and then 2 steps back with each update. I also don’t see a noticeable improvement in speed with 16.10. Calculating may be faster, but the overall laggyness is frustrating

And if you're on a PC keyboard, the Windows key works in place of Command

Garfield and Michael - with respect to the anchor key, you can use Command + T in place of F4. I'm certainly not disagreeing that things are still not where they need to be with Excel for Mac, but it's at least a work around for now.

• Michael Squire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Garfield,

Yes, I have that anchor key (F4) issue also. I am currently using v16.10 build 180102. I just discovered it although I use it quite a bit in some of my worksheets so it's likely that this issue was introduced in the latest build.

With 16.10 you can no longer use the anchor key (F4) to anchor cell references in formulas? Any one else having this issue. When I hit the F4 button, it appears to be the same as hitting the Enter button.

What a huge step backward Microsoft!

• Wayne Kleven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope the Excel Team isn't "done". My team and I use this to run my business and, though things have improved with using multiple core many other issues have popped up (most of which are described below by other users).
        All I ask is that it work as it should.

• Nina Boatman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did the new update include the removal of the process bar at the bottom of my screen? It used to say... 4 Processors with a % of completion when I would do a sort filter. I'm on the newest version but it takes 20 minutes to sort a column by a color with 60K records, 5 columns and no formulas. I still feel like there is something wrong. I have the new MacBook pro with the upgraded processor so It should be pretty fast. If I open my Activity Monitor it shows anywhere from 99.9% CPU usage to 378.9% of CPU usage. (Not sure how you can use more than 100%) The threads very.. up to 20. Not much else is taking up any CPU. A few things that are very small. Anyway, I let it run even though the Process Name field in the Activity Monitor is in red and it says "Microsoft Excel (Not Responding). It eventually finishes. Any help would be appreciated.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 35 36

Feedback and Knowledge Base