Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

A better Name manager

Dear all,
What I love, please read this a need, is a better Name manager.
The size of the list is way to small. If you work a lot with names, then you get longer names which are not easy to select.
Also would like to see an easier way to replace, rename and exchange Names and references. When I make a Template sheet with names/reverences and want to make multiply copies bij code or manualy, its a crime to change or update the Name.

108 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LA shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just moved from Office Mac 2011 to 2016 kicking and screaming, with the loss of the ability use keyboard rather than right click for inserting columns or rows. You can click "=3+3" with manually adding the + sign ...REALLY ?? Finally the whole suite is sludgy and SLOW... The tool bars are graphically hard to read compared to the old GUI. Not to mention you have to flip back and forth trying to find things that used to at your finger tips like the view screen or other frequently used things on laptops. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE! Does Microsoft test these things with users on Macs?

Thanks,

Travis

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
    I have the same question (24) 

• Martin Geithmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that a better name manager is needed. The existing way the feature is laid out is confusing, the dialog boxes very small on high-res displays, and makes a powerful feature harder to use than it needs to be.

• Michael Wagener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel for Mac is becoming really irritating these days and it all revolves around the crippled version of Name Manager that they are trying to pass off on us. One has to wonder what motivates them. I like Excel (in fact a lot of my life revolves around it... ), and I like Mac. Why can I not have a product that actually works? That would be nice, instead of having to accommodate work-arounds to get by. Like the current bug where one cannot open the Cell-Name section of the Edit-bar presently... oh my goodness me... ! It's exasperating...

• Nikhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making Mac Name Manager feature identical to Windows version would be great. I didn't realize how much value the features on the Window platform added until I worked on my most recent project. Having to use the weak functionality of the Mac version of Name Manager has added literally 10-20% to the amount of time needed to accomplish the same tasks on the Windows version. In some instances, I can't accomplish what I want to at all.

Please add back the scope for the Name Manager. How can I pay for an upgrade that has removed features that have been part of the program for decades?

I have had to switch to mac office for a new job, and I can only echo how frustrating it is to not have a proper Name Manager. I use named ranges extensively, and the simple task of renaming a range has now created several additional tasks in order to update the reference to the range throughout the workbook. what other features of excel will I have to live without?

The Name Manager is a handy work-around for places where formulas aren't accepted, such as in setting up dynamic charts. The Windows version lets you work in one window to do all you can with names, while with Mac we have Define, Paste, Create, Apply - separate operations instead of all in one place. How about making the Mac Name Manager mimic the Windows version.

• Bill Kantor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Named ranges are such a great way to write and understand formulas. But this capability is severely impoverished wihtout a name manager where you can see and edit important attributes such as Scope. Please provide the same functionality as on the Windows version.

Scope and editing of Names to allow dynamic ranges are essential. I don’t want to use Windows. I’d rather use a different spreadsheet. Give us parity please.

Me and my partner just signup up for Office 365 Home trial.

However, the Excel for Mac cannot be used properly without a real name manager. It's a deal breaker and I am going to cancel the trial. I wanted to pay for Office Mac, but now I will not. My only option now is to use Virtual Machine to run a non crippled version of Office. But due to the nasty attitude, I will not pay for that, there are other options...

PS.:
    I can see that this feature was requested years ago, yet it has been neglected. Therefore I deduct that it has been left out deliberately. I simply do not agree with the idea that you deliver - on purpose - a crippled version of Excel for Mac users, yet you charge the same fee.

Please understand that Mac users will not switch to Win machines, so this will just backfire on you.

• hunter3740 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tend to search a lot, where excel 2016 will find what I'm looking for, but won't have it centered and looking at said found cell; and even stranger, is that sometimes it finds other things; so, I tend to have to needlessly scroll a lot.

Okay, hitting the right triangle to find again a few times will land the search (and even rarely focus correctly!), and at least there is the column letter and row number in the upper left; i.e. where you can also type to fill a cell, will be the full cell contents of any partial search I did, but just to the left of that is something like M482 (or just above where you click to select all, that triangle filled box to the left of A and above 1); you can then click on that field and hit enter, and then it *will* focus on that cell as it should have just done when searching; i.e. so why the wonky basic feature (who doesn't search a .xlsx?!), and at least why the extra click and key press to get to a successful find?!

• Steve Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

<sigh>...I am just getting started on Excel for MAC after a zillion years on PC. I was astonished to find the pitiful little "name manager" they offer. I have a ton of error names and can't even select multiples to delete. Give us what you design for Windows please. ASAP.

• Gonçalo Veiga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it ironic that the Excel team that designed the application for Mac chose to leave out the Name Manager and its useful tools, like scope and edit a name. As a Mac user, I also paid for Excel, so this discrepancy is not only unfair but it always makes me think if this is a way to get Mac users to migrate to MS systems.

So, please add a Name Manager to Excel Max 2016.

• Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need a Name Manager that allows me to see the scope of a name and to edit the name. Ideally of course, the other features of the Windows Name Manager - sorting on name, range etc, filter for errors etc.

Agreed! My company uses named ranges and linked workbooks extensively, so we need to see both the cells a range refers to and its scope. Easy to do on Windows version. Why must Mac be left behind?

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the name manager has been difficult for me recently. I used to be able to utilize the cell reference box to name a range quickly, however, now that doesn't seem to work unless I go to the dropdown toolbar to insert>name>define and then add the named range. It's quite cumbersome to use the toolbar menus and I wish that the cell reference box update would work like it used as well as the entire named range process function the same as the Windows version.

• Loriel Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does Windows treat the Mac versions of their products like the ugly step child? The code to make the functions the same for both operating systems can't be THAT difficult. Specifically the "Name manager" tool. This is why I will always use Google Docs for my excel needs...

• Andrew Lister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just give us Mac users the same Name manager (and keyboard shortcut!) that is on the Windows version.
    Please.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base