How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font. This problem occurs on all Excel Zoom-States except for 200%. Using a non Retina Mac with latest Yosemite.

95 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hans-Jörg StangorHans-Jörg Stangor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Excel Team [MSFT]AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all – this update is very long overdue, but I wanted to let you know that this issue has been fixed. The update was release in July 2016. You should now see that if you click into a long formula or text value in a cell or formula bar, the cursor shows up where you clicked.

Thanks for supporting Excel and please keep sending your feedback and suggestions. I know it took too long to update this issue, but we are listening. If there are other issues you discussed in the comments here, you may want to move those comments to an open issue that is more relevant to what you’re seeing.

Thanks,
    Steve K [MS Excel]

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RFRF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am experiencing this problem in the Windows version of Access (2007-2010).

• Gergely GubacsiGergely Gubacsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did I mention that CMD+A (select all) fails to execute from time to time, when editing in the formula bar? And the bad pdf layouts with texts leaning out of cells? And the funny bug, when selecting a cell 3x holding down the CMD key and the cell gets darker and darker? LOL.

• Gergely GubacsiGergely Gubacsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here in January 2017. Retina MacBook Pro, El Capitan, latest Excel update.

Oh, and a bunch of other Excel bugs from minor to mission critical. Just to name a few:
        - in cell formula editing fails to use colors at certain zoom levels
        - in some cases text is displayed twice in the same cell (!!!) I guess it also has to do with zoom levels
        - cannot use arrows to browse between worksheets as soon as the tooltip text appears
        - if accidentally unzooming the worksheet, fans go crazy and Excel gets into a semi-frozen state (but if you wait, it may recover)
        - in some cases, if cells are positioned towards the side of the screen, auto fill cross fails to appear
        - wrong character positioning in the formula edit box AND in the VB editor
        - erroneous text/command/variable recognition in VB editor
        - vanishing of all major functions in the VB editor (incl. the object browser)
        - serious performance issues and crashes even with small (<50 lines) pivot tables
        the list is endless, Excel 2016 for Mac on a new and powerful MacBook Pro with all updates (except for Sierra) installed IS A NIGHTMARE.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this issue and the fix (so far so good) seems to change the Display Resolution on the Mac. Search "Display", Under "Display" Tab select one of the scaled resolutions to the right of Default. Either "More Space" or the middle one.

• ChristophChristoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, also the cursor "freezes" to the latest action, i.e. if I used it for dragging and moving cells, it keeps on being shown as a hand, if if use it to copy cells with the little black cross, it stays a cross and so forth...
        Really annoying for now over 8 months, I am fed up and consider to change to another program

Please fix this - I'm so frustrated with dealing with this for over a year. It takes me so much more time to work in any spreadsheet because of this problem.

• JeroenJeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got the same problem. Microsoft, fix this please. It's so annoying that something simple as a cursor doesn't even work properly in excel.

• Marja CaverléMarja Caverlé commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ever since I updated to the newest version of Excel for Mac, I noticed that the cursor positioning is off. For example: when I have my cursor completely positioned on cell B2, and I click, it still highlights cell B1. This way I keep on getting to overwrite my previous input.

• SimoneSimone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any follow up on this from Excel. It drives me insane, I can't tell if I"m going to type in the right place or not

I have uninstalled and re-installed all of Windows and my cursor is far far to the right of my text when typing directly in cells - however up the top it shows that it is in the correct position, it's confusing to look at and to know if I have clicked where I am trying to click... On top of that, Excel is selecting and then staying selected on cells even when I click on other cells (when it should deselect). I have a brand new mac and brand new software. I have called apple genius who can't detect anything. Any ideas on why or what I should do?!

• zdarmazdarma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel 2016 might be the biggest joke Microsoft has ever played on its customers. For all the faults Excel 2011 had, 2016 seems to have 10 fold the problems. I should have saved my money and just remained with 2011, which I have had to do.

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem it is the same across 3 different versions of MacOSX. ANd no update resolves the issue. It is really awful, I lose at least 15 minutes every hour with cursor problems. The screen jumps, and the cursor sits between 2 fields while the active field is entirely different, generally 2 fields above where the cursor indicates. I can fix this temporarily by going to the extreme bottom left or right field, but as soon as the screen jumps, the problem resumes. Also when scrolling between pages the next page is blank. The data shows after a few moments, but it is impossible to look at fields on adjacent pages.

• ABAB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still happening even after latest 'Update' 18th June 2016 from MS and updated OS from MAC..

This is still a huge problem! Is there a fix yet?

I'm running the most current updates, Mac and Office, as of writing this.

Here is a formula where you can see the problem. Cursor position is off by an entire character at end of formula

=IFERROR(INDEX('CN VV'!$A$1:$GL$4550,MATCH(BM$7&$B26&$C26,'CN VV'!$A:$A,0),MATCH(BM$9&BM$8,'CN VV'!$1:$1,0)),0)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just installed the latest update ...still (still!) not fixed.

Either these complaints are falling on deaf ears, or this issue is very expensive to fix and no one can make a business case for rectifying the issue. Or it could just be impossible to fix (which would be heartbreaking). I know this issue is unlikely to affect the majority of users (if I had to guess, most people use Excel for very simple operations and basic record keeping), but it is very inconvenient for those of us who need to deal with more complex formulae.

I trust that the Excel team is very competent, but I oft wonder why it's not been addressed - perhaps they just have a lot on their plates at the moment (a new version of any software is likely to be quite glitchy). Either way, I'd really like these problems to be eliminated if possible.

Cruel to say this perhaps, but I am regretting buying Office 2016.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
      • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
      • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
      • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
      • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
      • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.