How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font. This problem occurs on all Excel Zoom-States except for 200%. Using a non Retina Mac with latest Yosemite.

95 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hans-Jörg StangorHans-Jörg Stangor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Excel Team [MSFT]AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all – this update is very long overdue, but I wanted to let you know that this issue has been fixed. The update was release in July 2016. You should now see that if you click into a long formula or text value in a cell or formula bar, the cursor shows up where you clicked.

Thanks for supporting Excel and please keep sending your feedback and suggestions. I know it took too long to update this issue, but we are listening. If there are other issues you discussed in the comments here, you may want to move those comments to an open issue that is more relevant to what you’re seeing.

Thanks,
    Steve K [MS Excel]

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VipulVipul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having this similar problem of highlights of reference to cells moving when clicking on formulas. Installed office 16 2 days ago on latest macbook pro with os sierra.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My issue is while in excel, my trackpad pointer is about 4 lines away from where it thinks it is. I will hover over a cell and when I click, it is actually 4 cells above where I am at. I have never had this problem before using Excel on a Mac. Any suggestions on how to re-align?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have this problem as well. Cursor is between a half and more than a full character of the actual editing position. Problem is worse when editing in the bar at the top of the window (as opposed to editing in the cell directly). This makes Excel almost unusable -- don't understand how this can slip past Microsoft Quality Assurance. Running Excel version 15.30 (170107) on Macbook Retina macOS Sierra 10.12.5.

• LuísLuís commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

have Excel for mac v 15.36 and cursor shows one cell above cursor arrow

• RFRF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am experiencing this problem in the Windows version of Access (2007-2010).

• Gergely GubacsiGergely Gubacsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did I mention that CMD+A (select all) fails to execute from time to time, when editing in the formula bar? And the bad pdf layouts with texts leaning out of cells? And the funny bug, when selecting a cell 3x holding down the CMD key and the cell gets darker and darker? LOL.

• Gergely GubacsiGergely Gubacsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here in January 2017. Retina MacBook Pro, El Capitan, latest Excel update.

Oh, and a bunch of other Excel bugs from minor to mission critical. Just to name a few:
        - in cell formula editing fails to use colors at certain zoom levels
        - in some cases text is displayed twice in the same cell (!!!) I guess it also has to do with zoom levels
        - cannot use arrows to browse between worksheets as soon as the tooltip text appears
        - if accidentally unzooming the worksheet, fans go crazy and Excel gets into a semi-frozen state (but if you wait, it may recover)
        - in some cases, if cells are positioned towards the side of the screen, auto fill cross fails to appear
        - wrong character positioning in the formula edit box AND in the VB editor
        - erroneous text/command/variable recognition in VB editor
        - vanishing of all major functions in the VB editor (incl. the object browser)
        - serious performance issues and crashes even with small (<50 lines) pivot tables
        the list is endless, Excel 2016 for Mac on a new and powerful MacBook Pro with all updates (except for Sierra) installed IS A NIGHTMARE.

I had this issue and the fix (so far so good) seems to change the Display Resolution on the Mac. Search "Display", Under "Display" Tab select one of the scaled resolutions to the right of Default. Either "More Space" or the middle one.

• ChristophChristoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, also the cursor "freezes" to the latest action, i.e. if I used it for dragging and moving cells, it keeps on being shown as a hand, if if use it to copy cells with the little black cross, it stays a cross and so forth...
        Really annoying for now over 8 months, I am fed up and consider to change to another program

Please fix this - I'm so frustrated with dealing with this for over a year. It takes me so much more time to work in any spreadsheet because of this problem.

• JeroenJeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got the same problem. Microsoft, fix this please. It's so annoying that something simple as a cursor doesn't even work properly in excel.

• Marja CaverléMarja Caverlé commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ever since I updated to the newest version of Excel for Mac, I noticed that the cursor positioning is off. For example: when I have my cursor completely positioned on cell B2, and I click, it still highlights cell B1. This way I keep on getting to overwrite my previous input.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base