Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Have Excel - and other Office programs - follow current OS X standards for menus and title bars

In your info page for Office, you say:

"Unmistakably Office, designed for Mac … combining the familiarity of Office and the unique Mac features you love."

But Office 2016 seems just like Office 2011 by not updating some menu and title bar features to reflect current OS X standards. It took me a while to get used to these, but now that I have it's frustrating to expect them and find them missing. Two big ones:

- Save/Duplicate/Save As… Shift-Cmd-S is now supposed to be "Duplicate" by default in OS X, not Save As. Instead, the Option key is used to access Save As. Similar, the Option key should provide the Close All menu choice, but doesn't.

- Retitling, tagging, and moving files from the title bar. The OS X standard is now to allow all those actions via a drop-down from the file name in the title bar. Those are not available in Office.

It seems that, in fact, Office continues to follow the pattern of worrying more about working the same in OS X as in does in Windows rather than really being OS X native. That may be useful for people who switch back and forth a lot, but for those who live in OS X it's a detriment.

P.S. Wow - there's no way to edit these submissions that I can find. I found an error and had to delete the original comment and then submit a new one!

27 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AJC shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, comments and votes for following OS X standards for menus and title bars. Some aspects mentioned here have been addressed, such as switching windows within Excel by pressing CMD+` (key that has ~ on it). We will continue to monitor votes and comments to prioritize accordingly with other suggestions here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should definitely be done on Mac, but also on Windows. All the useless cruft that has accumulated in the title bar should be deleted, title should be left aligned, like a grown up application, not one designed by a hyperactive fourteen year old child.

• Nachum Kanovsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with StuartM's comment. I wish editing within a cell used MacOS's paradigm. It's really frustrating that the same shortcuts that work when editing a paragraph in Word doesn't work when editing text in a cell. For example, Cmd-Right goes to the end of a line in Word, but in a cell within Excel it does something completely different. To go to the end of a line in Excel one must have and use the End button. Please fix!

• Fred Inklaar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a standard for switching windows in MacOS, which is cmd + ~. Does something else entirely in Excel.

The fact that Microsoft Office programs on MacOS do not adhere to this standard shortcuts is a major pain when using Microsoft Office.

Same goes for clicking cmd + title bar. This should open a drop-down menu with the location of the file, which makes it easy to find it in the finder. Works in all programs that I bought, except for Microsoft Office.

• StuartM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also the cursor positioning (in edit box) hot keys (e.g. Cmd+<right arrow>, Alt+<right arrow>, etc., etc.).

If this creates conflicts, make a global preference setting to use OS X conventions of MS conventions.

• Phillip Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one time I disagree with Apple this feature should never have been implemented this is one time Microsoft has correct. Save only appends changes documents to end of documents with instructions on where they are supposed to appear. This adds complexity and size a File. Which can eventually cause Corrupt of document.

• AJC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A follow up to my own list - Excel 2016 does not appear to automatically load files that were left open the last time it was quit. That's another now-standard aspect of OS X that's missing. Excel 2011 does follow that protocol.

Feedback and Knowledge Base