How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back a fully functional VBE (Visual Basic Editor for VBA)

Please bring back the full editor capability of VBE to Mac Excel 2016, like we had in Mac Excel 2011. As it is, the "slimmed down" editing experience of VBA is more like a notepad experience than anything - making it basically impossible to
* edit VBA from scratch,
* get syntax highlighting
* see a watch window
* etc.

(Note: this title and description updated by Dan [MS] on 10/19/2015)

860 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jim Termini shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, responded  · 

Hi All – The Visual Basic Editor was greatly improved in an update several months ago. If you don’t have the latest version of Excel for Mac, please go to Help > Check for Updates and update to the latest version to check it out. Thanks for all your comments and support for this feature.

If you notice issues as you are using the latest VBE, please let us know by clicking the smiley-face feedback button near the top-right of the Excel window.

Steve K [MS Excel]

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Bev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All very well and fine, but how do we access our user-defined/VBA built functions from the spreadsheet. Basically, can I call the function outside a VBA sub? Functions require input (usually no issue) and output (the problem. I would like to get output into a spreadsheet). When I go to "Insert Function", I don't see any option for a UDF.

• Don S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait...What? No Userforms in Excel for Mac VBA? I just purchased Office 2016, hoping that there would be enhanced compatibility with the Windows version. But instead... this? Does anyone write serious VBA Apps without using Userforms? This is a big problem for me. If Microsoft is incapable of delivering basic functionality here (and it is 2018, so they've had time) they should fess up and suggest a work-around. For example, give those of us who just purchased Office 2016 a free copy of Office for Windows to use while we're waiting for a Mac version that works. Or, our money back.

• Franz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Near three years later in March 2018 and still no userforms. What gives?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow me to be specific. In Excel 16.9, one still cannot create or edit a form. Sure seems like a core feature to me.

• admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The VBA implementation in Mac Excel 2016 in **not** fully compatible with the previous versions of VBA: TOS+ is a very powerful workbook that uses a lot of VBA.

While it works fine on Mac Excel 2011, and PC versions of Excel 2007 to 2016, it is unusable on Mac Excel 2016 (all those using Mac Excel 2016 report that TOS+ is having issues on Mac Excel 2016 and cannot use TOS+ on that platform)

I have been unable to find WHY TOS+ works fine on all other Excels, but not on Mac Excel 2016... That is pretty frustrating :(

Get your facts straight folks. Most if not all of the VBA functionality has been restored to the latest versions of Office for the Mac.

Nothing happened yet???? Unbelievable to not be able to edit drafts in Excel 2016!!!!!

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is the developer tab going to have all the features and tools in Excel for Mac 2016? I understand it´s a big project, but more than 2 years have passed and nothing happened. Thank you

• David Blair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 2 years have passed and nothing. Zero. Same old ****.

I've flagged Dan's posts as inappropriate as I find them since they are nothing but a bunch of bull.

A poorly coded test of a single theoretical operation does not prove that VBA slower or faster or more buggy. It only proves that Windows is more tolerant of the code and more optimized for the interpreted operation. For the real world uses I have, I find VBA for the MAC to be very efficient. The coding is still more difficult than it should be, but much better than it was.

November 2017.... still not there yet! grrrrr... Can't believe you're seriously working on it

• Bill Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Win Excel 2010 VBA is 16 times faster than Mac Excel 2016 VBA, I guess we should all switch to Windows. Or maybe Apple should buy Mac Office from Microsoft and fix it. I can't imagine Microsoft EVER delivering on performance and feature parity for Mac Office. Why would they?

• Luc Mettepenningen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm that Mathias code crashes on my Mac too (Mac os Sierra - ver:10.12.6 (16G29) - Excel 2016). For i = 1 to 10000000, there is no problem.

• Mathias Lorieux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The pasted code hereby (borrowed from takes ~15 sec in Excel 2011 and... 48 sec in Excel 2016. It also takes ~3 sec in Excel 2010 for Windows. So 16 times slower in XL 2016/Mac than XL 2010/Win. Sixteen!
        Microsoft, are you using some kind of emulation code? Or what? This is properly unacceptable for a commercial software. Ah, and the code crashes Excel 2016/Mac too, sometimes.

Sub TimeTest()
        '100 million random numbers, tests, and math operations
        Dim x As Long
        Dim StartTime As Single
        Dim i As Long
        x = 0
        StartTime = Timer
        For i = 1 To 100000000
        If Rnd <= 0.5 Then x = x + 1 Else x = x - 1
        Next i
        MsgBox Timer - StartTime & " seconds"
        End Sub••••ˇˇˇˇ

• Bill Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the newest version of Mac Excel VBA becomes at least as usable and powerful as Excel 2011 VBA, I'll upgrade, but not before then.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And where is the removed-since-Office-2011 Relative Reference Record Macro that makes VBA worth using?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base