How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back a fully functional VBE (Visual Basic Editor for VBA)

Please bring back the full editor capability of VBE to Mac Excel 2016, like we had in Mac Excel 2011. As it is, the "slimmed down" editing experience of VBA is more like a notepad experience than anything - making it basically impossible to
* edit VBA from scratch,
* get syntax highlighting
* see a watch window
* etc.

(Note: this title and description updated by Dan [MS] on 10/19/2015)

855 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jim Termini shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

Good news. We are working on porting the VBE (VBA Editor) from Mac Excel 2011 to Mac Excel 2016. It’s going to take a while (it’s a big project) but we’re working on it.

241 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is the developer tab going to have all the features and tools in Excel for Mac 2016? I understand it´s a big project, but more than 2 years have passed and nothing happened. Thank you

• David Blair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 2 years have passed and nothing. Zero. Same old ****.

I've flagged Dan's posts as inappropriate as I find them since they are nothing but a bunch of bull.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A poorly coded test of a single theoretical operation does not prove that VBA slower or faster or more buggy. It only proves that Windows is more tolerant of the code and more optimized for the interpreted operation. For the real world uses I have, I find VBA for the MAC to be very efficient. The coding is still more difficult than it should be, but much better than it was.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

November 2017.... still not there yet! grrrrr... Can't believe you're seriously working on it

• Bill Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Win Excel 2010 VBA is 16 times faster than Mac Excel 2016 VBA, I guess we should all switch to Windows. Or maybe Apple should buy Mac Office from Microsoft and fix it. I can't imagine Microsoft EVER delivering on performance and feature parity for Mac Office. Why would they?

• Luc Mettepenningen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm that Mathias code crashes on my Mac too (Mac os Sierra - ver:10.12.6 (16G29) - Excel 2016). For i = 1 to 10000000, there is no problem.

• Mathias Lorieux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The pasted code hereby (borrowed from http://spreadsheetpage.com) takes ~15 sec in Excel 2011 and... 48 sec in Excel 2016. It also takes ~3 sec in Excel 2010 for Windows. So 16 times slower in XL 2016/Mac than XL 2010/Win. Sixteen!
        Microsoft, are you using some kind of emulation code? Or what? This is properly unacceptable for a commercial software. Ah, and the code crashes Excel 2016/Mac too, sometimes.

Code:

Sub TimeTest()
        '100 million random numbers, tests, and math operations
        Dim x As Long
        Dim StartTime As Single
        Dim i As Long
        x = 0
        StartTime = Timer
        For i = 1 To 100000000
        If Rnd <= 0.5 Then x = x + 1 Else x = x - 1
        Next i
        MsgBox Timer - StartTime & " seconds"
        End Sub••••ˇˇˇˇ

• Bill Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the newest version of Mac Excel VBA becomes at least as usable and powerful as Excel 2011 VBA, I'll upgrade, but not before then.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And where is the removed-since-Office-2011 Relative Reference Record Macro that makes VBA worth using?

• szczerbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poor quality is Your brain.
        MAC is useless system for dummies. Don't understand how people can pay so huge money for hardware dedicated only to twitter and facebook...

If You need work with MicrosoftOffice, ORACLE databases etc.. You need to buy normal computer, with normal price, with twice better performance than useless Mac.

If Your goal is work well with Excel, sell Your Mac (or throw it away through the window), buy some normal notebook or desktop, and develop most awesome VBA Macros for Excel.

Buy Mac, and then cry me like a river, that MICROSOFT OFFICE doesn't work well...choose is Yours.

• Nick M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there going to be a solution to this any time soon? This post is two years old now.

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please make a capable VB Editor a reality before support for Excel 2011 ends.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base