How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back a fully functional VBE (Visual Basic Editor for VBA)

Please bring back the full editor capability of VBE to Mac Excel 2016, like we had in Mac Excel 2011. As it is, the "slimmed down" editing experience of VBA is more like a notepad experience than anything - making it basically impossible to
* edit VBA from scratch,
* get syntax highlighting
* see a watch window
* etc.

(Note: this title and description updated by Dan [MS] on 10/19/2015)

827 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jim TerminiJim Termini shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL]AdminDan Battagin [MS XL] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Good news. We are working on porting the VBE (VBA Editor) from Mac Excel 2011 to Mac Excel 2016. It’s going to take a while (it’s a big project) but we’re working on it.

232 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill EarlBill Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the newest version of Mac Excel VBA becomes at least as usable and powerful as Excel 2011 VBA, I'll upgrade, but not before then.

• JackJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And where is the removed-since-Office-2011 Relative Reference Record Macro that makes VBA worth using?

• szczerboszczerbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poor quality is Your brain.
        MAC is useless system for dummies. Don't understand how people can pay so huge money for hardware dedicated only to twitter and facebook...

If You need work with MicrosoftOffice, ORACLE databases etc.. You need to buy normal computer, with normal price, with twice better performance than useless Mac.

If Your goal is work well with Excel, sell Your Mac (or throw it away through the window), buy some normal notebook or desktop, and develop most awesome VBA Macros for Excel.

Buy Mac, and then cry me like a river, that MICROSOFT OFFICE doesn't work well...choose is Yours.

• Nick MNick M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there going to be a solution to this any time soon? This post is two years old now.

• NeilNeil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please make a capable VB Editor a reality before support for Excel 2011 ends.

• Erik Schwiebert [MSFT]Erik Schwiebert [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all -- Insider Fast just went live with the new VB IDE. Please check it out and report bugs to us! We hope to ship it for real early next month, so we'd love to have your feedback ASAP!

Thanks,
        Schwieb

• David BDavid B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please try to keep features between Windows and Mac equal! Huge gap. Need Power BI as well.

• Jorge Aguayo CabreroJorge Aguayo Cabrero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My only prerequisite back in 2011 in order to shift from Pc to Mac world was VBA for excel, a few months ago I changed from 2011 to excel 2016 and with the actúa Ui I'm sad every single day

• Bao-Tram TonBao-Tram Ton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac and Windows Excel editions should work on aligning capabilities and features. Working for IBM this summer, there was a huge mix of Mac and Windows users. Those with Windows had to dumb down their excel dashboards and charts so that Mac users can open the same file and navigate the views. Full capabilities for VBA and Data Model/PowerPivot are two functionalities that set Mac and Windows Excel oceans apart.

• David BDavid B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If all Mac users wanted out of Excel was a simple spreadsheet, we could use Numbers. But VBA is crucial to any utility I have for Excel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed. Doesn't make sense for Excel to become less and less functional with each update...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base