Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

ALT key ribbon access

The ability to utilize the ALT keys to access any button or command on the ribbon greatly improves productivity on the PC versions of excel. Implementing this feature on the Mac version of excel would be greatly appreciated.

206 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as one of the ALT combinations does a 'Paste and match style' I don't mind. And anything that helps me use functions without having to find them in the awful ribbon is a plus.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely would like to do custom keyboard shortcuts and be able to customize the ribbon menus

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The use of the Option key (not ALT, Option!) might help some people, but this has not much to do with Keyboard shortcuts customization (which is really needed)!

• DP1604 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This works for PC better than for Mac, but having it (for Mac) is better than nothing... why can't we just get back the customize options that were available in the previous version, or on PC??

We NEED to be able to CUSTOMIZE the ribbon by adding commands to it, the commands each of use the most - not what someone else THINKS we use. I find the lack of this facility the biggest loss/difference between versions (PC vs Mac, 2011 vs 2016)

• Robert Gama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for sure this is still a valid request. Don't remember if i initiated or just voted on this one.

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do, even if you have to modify so that the Mac version of ALT key access requires an additional key such as ALT + Fn

• Andres Arteaga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just keep it simple and allow the custom keyboard like you did in the old excel. It was amazing and I miss that feature every single day. Don't reinvent the wheel. Do what proved to keep us happy.

• David Charlap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like it in concept, but please note that the Alt/Option key on a Mac keyboard is used for composing foreign characters and typing other non-alphabetic symbols. I would absolutely NOT want to give up the ability to type these symbols simply to gain the Windows-compatible keystrokes.

If you want to add this option, then it must be made optional so people like myself can disable it.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be huge! I'm learning excel for work and because of this major keyboard incompatibility I have to reboot into windows.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On our national (Hungarian) keyboard AltGr+5 is to get the: "°" character, but in MS Excel an annoying message tops up all the time: "No such object." - or sg like that.
        How can I disable keyboard shortcuts???

thx

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base