How can we improve Excel for Mac?

64-bit Version

Please release a 64-bit version of Office 2016 for Mac. Please. I have to have a Windows partition on my Mac just so I can boot into Windows and use Office 2013 64-bit. The workbooks I encounter are often 800,000+ lines and nothing Microsoft could do would make me happier than releasing a 64-bit version of Office 2016 for Mac. Please.

92 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rick Cody shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all – this is a few months late, so many of you may already be aware, but the 64-bit version of Mac Office was released in Sept. 2016. Thanks for your support and keep talking on UserVoice. We are paying attention, despite the slow update on this issue.

Thanks,
    Steve K
    Microsoft Excel

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does 64-bit support mean multi-threaded support is included, or coming very soon (i.e. before the end of Q3)? That kills Excel's usefulness on Mac more than anything else

• hknerdr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am on 15.24, i checked it from system information and it shows as 64bit. How can it be?

Is 15.24 version 64bit too?

• AdminDan Battagin [MS XL] (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Versions 15.25 and higher are 64-bit (at least, as of right now - we could roll back to 32-bit if we find problems on the Insider channel)

Regardless of version, you can also validate the 64-bit install by pressing Cmd+Space > System Information > Software > Applications > Microsoft Excel, and look for a ‘Yes’ in the 64-Bit column.

Cheers,
        Dan [MS]

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on the Insider Fast and just updated to 15.25. How do I know if it is the 64 bit version?

• Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this 64 bit build of Excel for mac progressing, is there any timeline for release ?

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Rick !!!! dont make us go to a 3rd party open source solution...just give us a 64 bit Excel version like yesterday...this will let you keep your base of business users in play...

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need the 64-bit version of excel 2016 for Mac so much,when it could be used?

• Wesley Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel Team, is there any progress on this? Spinning up Windows VMs for Mac users to actually be able to use Excel is getting tiresome.

• Sean Seymour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I'm just amazed that this many years later when we finally get a new Mac Excel, 64 bit was not part of it. I'm a huge Excel user and fan really, but that's just extremely disappointing. Really makes me think less of Microsoft. 64 bit support was in Office 2010 with Windows (probably appearing in 2009, if I remember correctly). 7 years is a long time to drop the ball.

• Rick Cody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really couldn't be happier to read that Microsoft is building a 64-bit version of Office for Mac. Any timetable as to availability either as a preview or part of Office 365? Looking for beta testers?

• James Spotanski (Program Manager, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Rick and Matthew,
        We hear you loud and clear on the ask for 64-bit Excel for Mac, and I'm happy to report we're working on it. It's a nontrivial task, but I'm optimistic that it'll be in your hands in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks for the suggestion!
        James

• Matthew Pomar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Rick. Excel is slow and sluggish even on the top of the line MacBook when using massive sheets. In contrast, the Windows version of Excel running on the same Mac in Parallels blows it away.

Feedback and Knowledge Base