Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Be more forthcoming about the lack of parity with the Windows product in your online advertising

When I visited the Microsoft website trying to decide whether to update from an 11 year old application suite (Office 2008 for Mac), learn to use Apple's own suite of applications for the Mac (Numbers and Pages—I'm already competent in Keynote and have abandoned PowerPoint), I read things that intimate that Mac users are "getting some things first"; e.g., in Office 2019. It's not clear what we're getting other than a new moniker.
It's certainly clear in my first day or two of my 30 day trial that much has changed, but when I try to delve a bit deeper into a feature-rich application by doing a few online training sessions (I've started with a few of the tutorials from Lynda.com, endorsed by LinkedIn by requiring a LinkedIn account as a requirement for access to the tutorials), it takes but a few minutes to discover obvious disparities. Here are just two, discovered while barely scratching the surface:
1. The embedded Help for Windows Excel 365 is a fully realized multi-layer system that works. On the Mac, however, when I hover my cursor over an icon in the ribbon that already has a text label, what pops up? nothing more than the same text label (thanks so much for that help!).

2. I have found a few instances where that's not the case, but it's clear little effort has been expended on them. For example, the "Take a Tour" template that's accessible from the "New from Template…" menubar item, when demonstrating the "slices" table data analysis feature, does contain a few tooltip hover-over popups that list keystroke equivalents, but it takes very little time that those tooltips list WINDOWS keystroke shortcuts (now, just where is that "alt" key on the Mac keyboard)?

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →