Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back 30 years of Keyboard Shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts remained fairly standard from Excel's earliest days (I started using it with version 2.2a, don't know if they go back further) until Excel 2001 when somethings like, for example command-b was moved to bold text instead of clear text, but those changes were remapped onto the control key for those of us that had been using them for a long time.

Now they have mapped BOTH to bold, and removed the keyboard shortcut for clear altogether. Likewise fill down no longer has a keyboard shortcut.

I was excited to hear that keyboard customization was returning, but neither of these items I use daily are able to be re-added with this "feature"

So let's keep it simple: We need the same keyboard shortcuts that we have been using since Excel 2001 to be available to us in the 64 bit versions of excel.

For now, I continue to use Excel 2011, as everything newer slows me down tremendously.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joel Lingenfelter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The clear text (clear contents) command can be assigned to a key combination. Just go to Tools > Customize Keyboard, click on the Home Tab category, and select the “Contents” command.

For Fill Down, it is assigned to CMD+D and CTRL+D (same as Excel 2011). You can also assign a custom key combination by choosing the “Down” command in the Customize Keyboard dialog in the Home Tab category.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base